two enquiries same day for same period

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
julesb

two enquiries same day for same period

Post by julesb »

Once again I've fallen between two stools. Had an enquiry for 2 weeks in August followed almost immediately by another enquiry for the same two weeks. I sent an email to the first lot saying the property was available but as I had another enquiry could they please let me know as soon as possible so that if they did not want it I could secure the second. I explained the problem to the second and they thanked me saying they would wait to hear. A day later another email - seriously interested just trying to sort out flights - next day, email to say they had chosen a different house, sorry to have kept me waiting - got back to the second lot explaining that the dates were free - and yes, of course they have booked elsewhere - aaghhh so frustrating!!!
Anyone got a better way of dealing with this - should I just work on first to confirm gets it? I think I always try to be too fair to people who are at times less than honest with me.

Any suggestions warmly welcome
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

There a a few recent threads where this exact subject came up but I can't immediately find them.

Basically an enquiry is just that, it's not a booking, so you should not hold dates unless someone has committed to a booking. For me, at present, that's easy, as I send out a booking form when someone says they want to book. That must be returned and a deposit paid to secure the booking.

So I only "hold" dates once I have sent the booking form. If I have and then get another enquiry, I try and make contact to seal the deal with the first. I do find though, if someone doesn't very quickly return the form, then chances are they've changed their mind. I would only give 24 hours and if it's not been returned I then offer to the second set of guests.

Sometimes 24 hours is too long and you've still lost the booking, but I don't want to be at risk of a double booking.

So to sum up, if you have an enquiry immediately followed by another, you do not have to hold it for the first. If the second enquiry commits to book then you simply send a follow up to the first saying the dates are now booked. It is essentially first come first served, but to book not just enquire.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Agree with what Nemo says.

There's nothing wrong with saying 'this is the 2nd enquiry I've received today for that period' but I would never push someone to make a decision quickly because they were the first.
If one of them come back to me saying they will send the deposit then I would inform the other party but also say that until the deposit is received it isn't booked.

Having said that I actually had 2 parties arguing over the same dates one year, I told the 2nd enquirers the first would be paying a deposit expected in 3 days (it was from USA) and he immedietly said would I take his booking if he paid within 24hrs.
I explained I needed to be fair and went with the 1st party. I did help the 2nd to find accommodation though and last year he contacted me and booked with us. Laughingly the first party ended up cancelling 10 weeks before their arrival - but they did pay 100% upfront :lol:

This year I've had 3 enquiries simply asking to be put on a waiting list as they've noticed we're booked - just in case someone cancels. Typical though that the only cancellation I had - no one on the list wanted that date :cry:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Agree with Mouse and Nemo. we hold dates only when a booking form is returned and for five days to allow time for payment of deposit to confirm the booking. However, we have on occasion received booking forms, turned other guests down and then not received payment by which time the other guests have booked elsewhere - goes with the territory Im afraid. We did once have guests who didn;t return the form but then sent it back quite a while later with a cheque for the deposit and were very upset that the dates they wanted were no longer available :?

thats some going Mouse having a waiting list :D
julesb

Thanks

Post by julesb »

Thanks for the advice - I reckon I just need to toughen up and not try to please everyone. It is when people say they are 'searching for flights' that the panic sets in - I'm always worried they book flights and then find out I've sold the weeks elsewhere. Mind you - if it was me I would be looking for flights first then accomodation! Even if I didn't book the flight I'd want to know the price and availability.
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
Marks

Re: Thanks

Post by Marks »

julesb wrote:It is when people say they are 'searching for flights' that the panic sets in - I'm always worried they book flights and then find out I've sold the weeks elsewhere.
That's the risk they choose to take.

I get this quite often: is it available - yes it is - I'm checking flights - OK let me know when you have flights and I'll let you know if it is still available.........

I have an equiry like this right now. There's a 50/50 chance if I'll hear from them again.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes that's what I do. Search first for possible flights, then look to see if there's enough choice for accommodation. If there is, go back to flights, book them, then return to accommodation to finish. That way I am a serious booker and the owner knows that.
limousin-cottage

Post by limousin-cottage »

I now have three enquiries for the exact same 3 weeks in August! Booking forms have been sent out to the first - have explained to the 2nd and 3rd who want to know of course. I sent out the booking forms on the 2nd Feb - on the 9th they replied by e-mail saying they had still not yet received the letter (atrocious weather!) but would return the forms immediately once they received them. I am now debating phoning them today to see whether it's going through or not (but French not being my first language it's not that easy to get across exactly how you feel, is it, I don't want to appear to be too pushy)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LC, I would drop them one further emaill today asking if they have received the letter, and perhaps attach the booking form to an email this time ?
One of the reasons I have never used snail-mail for the apartment is the risk of things going missing. I'm still at risk of things going to a spam folder though it seems to be more reliable.
limousin-cottage

Well, I'm on the point of dropping them for the 2nd enquirer - no response to yesterdays e-mail, asking them to let me know they received the booking form ok - phoned them this morning and twice they picked up but nothing was said - the third time I left a message, asking them to phone back or respond to yesterdays e-mail as I had other people wishing to book. No response, so I reckon it's dead in the water. Nothing has been transferred into the bank either - I've checked. It's not easy this game is it. They said they couldn't print off the forms so they had to be posted - but that was back on the 2nd Feb. The 2nd enquirer phoned again this morning. :( Do you think I have waited long enough for them?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I guess you have, but it's not ideal having to wait for snail mail, so I would try and avoid that in future. Can't they email the forms back or email details, pay deposit and then follow up with forms via the post if you simply want their signature?

If you go ahead with the second enquirer obviously you must let the first know what you have done. Hope you get it sorted. :)
Essar

double booking

Post by Essar »

I have the same problem three enquiries all for the same dates in August. One telephoned to say they wanted to book and would complete the on-line reservation form and pay the deposit by bank transfer shortly, meanwhile enquirer 2 just did that (form & bank transfer). I accepted 2nd and blocked off dates. 2 days later enquirer 1 fills in form and says they will pay deposit by bank transfer - I called them and told them they were too late - they were not happy and the conversation ended up with them hanging up!
So now my email quotations point out that the onus is on the enquirer to ensure that they check availability before they complete an on-line reservation form (they can even do it as they start to fill it in), because; in the meantime between them getting the quotation from me and them deciding to complete the reservation form someone else beats them to it. Strictly 1st come 1st served.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
limousin-cottage

Nemo wrote:I guess you have, but it's not ideal having to wait for snail mail, so I would try and avoid that in future. Can't they email the forms back or email details, pay deposit and then follow up with forms via the post if you simply want their signature?

If you go ahead with the second enquirer obviously you must let the first know what you have done. Hope you get it sorted. :)
I think I'm going to have to sort something out along those lines. last season, being my first, all panned out well and I didn't get any double or triple enquiries!
limousin-cottage

Re: double booking

Essar wrote:I have the same problem three enquiries all for the same dates in August. One telephoned to say they wanted to book and would complete the on-line reservation form and pay the deposit by bank transfer shortly, meanwhile enquirer 2 just did that (form & bank transfer). I accepted 2nd and blocked off dates. 2 days later enquirer 1 fills in form and says they will pay deposit by bank transfer - I called them and told them they were too late - they were not happy and the conversation ended up with them hanging up!
So now my email quotations point out that the onus is on the enquirer to ensure that they check availability before they complete an on-line reservation form (they can even do it as they start to fill it in), because; in the meantime between them getting the quotation from me and them deciding to complete the reservation form someone else beats them to it. Strictly 1st come 1st served.
Yes, quite agree with you. But you are, I think, dealing with English speaking enquirers (?) Not knowing the etiquette of French matters, it's not quite that simple for me!
limousin-cottage

Having said that - the reservation form (in French) that I post out to be signed quite clearly states that the booking is not confirmed until the deposit has been received, and it's possible that we will have other enquiries for the same period.