www.normandie-chambres.co.uk

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Cassis

www.normandie-chambres.co.uk

Post by Cassis »

Would anyone mind having a look at our new website? It's at www.normandie-chambres.co.uk.

One thing I've done is to add a small text panel on the right of the opening page as I noticed that our old site left a funny looking blank area on the right when viewed on larger, higher resolution screens (the kind I don't have myself!).

Does it look okay or has anyone got a better solution for soemeone with my limited website skills?

Thanks in advance!

Phil
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
enid

Post by enid »

I had some trouble with text and pictures overlaying other text at the top of the page . I don't have broadband so the pictures loaded slowly ( but I must be one of the last remaining dial up users!!) The colour green was a bit vivid for me and there is just too much going on on the home page - I wasn't quite sure why so many words were highlighted in bold when they weren't links. I realise that I could get a larger photo by clicking on the thumb nails - but I would like to see a slightly larger picture without having to keep clicking - the thumbnails are too small to let me really see the rooms .

Sorry if that all sounds very negative - the property looks gorgeous and you are obviously offering lots of added value.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

[quote="enid"]I had some trouble with text and pictures overlaying other text at the top of the page

the thumbnails are too small to let me really see the rooms .

quote]
Thanks for the feedback - no offence taken! I believe the image/text problem is something to do with viewing in a firefox/netscape browser - but I don't know exactly what to do about it! Anyone know what the fix is/what I've done wrong?
The thumbnails are small because I was worried about page loading times on dial-up.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Ju

Post by Ju »

I have the same problem with the text and picutres (I'm using firefox). I also find the green a bit to bright, and it is quite difficult to read the black text on the green background.

For the text on the Right hand side, rather than "We chose to open our B&B here because" I would rephrase it for This is the perfect place to holiday because, or You will find this a perfect spot because. I think there are a bit too many "we"s on the front page.

The bedroom phots are well presented, but I would also like to see a photo of the dining room and sitting room.

Hope this helps.

Ju
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Yes, it is a Firefox display problem. But I don't know what's wrong with the code! I appreciate the other feedback and will be correcting some of the issues raised - I didn't realise the green background would be so unpopular!! Maybe if it were paler on the left? I just wanted to add a bit of colour rather than leave it white. You're right about the 'we's' as well - never thought of it - too egotistical!
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Phil,

It's not just a problem in Firefox, it also happens in Netscape.

Alan
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

My netscape browser can switch to either Firefox view or IE view - maybe yours is set to Firefox view?
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Cassis wrote:My netscape browser can switch to either Firefox view or IE view - maybe yours is set to Firefox view?
It could be but it isn't, it's set for IE view. That's not the point, the point is that your Website doesn't work properly cross-platform.

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I am not a fan of colored backgrounds or fuzzy edged photos, So its really not fair if I comment on the way it looks, but you might want to hide your email link, if you do, you will find the amount of spam you get will reduce.
Cheers
PC
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Alan Knighting wrote:the point is that your Website doesn't work properly cross-platform.
Alan
Right. I think it's time to call in some outside help!
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

If you do have two "views" for your site, it's not too hard to put in a tidbit of code at the beginning that detects the user's browser and automatically displays the appropriate view...

But in my opinion, it's better to just have one site that works properly in all browsers.
Brooke
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

vrooje wrote:it's not too hard to put in a tidbit of code at the beginning that detects the user's browser and automatically displays the appropriate view...
Well, I've gone the route of trying to get it to work properly in Firefox as well as IE, and after a day of trying to establish what was wrong with the page titles the English version is almost fixed now - but any chance you can tell me what this tidbit of code is!!! :cry:

Phil
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

On the broader front I am getting increasingly dissatisfied with Internet Explorer and Netscape as products in their own right and particularly as means of using e-mail, Hotmail and Netscape (aka AOL) Mail.

A few days ago, after a security upgrade (should that read a downgrade?) IE decided not to access all the bits and pieces surrounding its pages. All the panels now say that it can’t access this and that and I should “refresh� the page. What a waste of time!

I have two Netscape e-mail screen-names but today Netscape decided that if I want to change screen-name it will take me back to the original, come what may. I simply can’t get into the second one.

After years of ambivalence it looks as though the decision is being made for me. It is Firefox for Internet use and either Thunderbird and/or Gmail for e-mail.

What do you think of that?

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yippee! :lol:

Strange that IE would shoot itself in the foot like that. But I can't say I'm sad about it. I very much like Firefox and Thunderbird.

Phil, I'm actually not sure what the code is, but it's something like one line of javascript, and I think it'd be pretty easy to google by using a phrase like "javascript browser detection" or something.
Brooke
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Thank you Brooke - I appreciate your help.

Phil
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004