Your very cheapest cost....

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Maurmc

Your very cheapest cost....

Post by Maurmc »

We have received a few email enquiries that ask for "your best price" and in this current economic climate, I expect that it's becoming normal for people to look for the best deal possible. This latest enquirer from TA via HL listing made me smile
Good morning. I am looking for an affordable apt for myself, my daughter and my 1yr old grandson for 2 weeks. Could you please advise me what your very cheapest cost would be. Best Regards. Jenny P.s. to reduce the cost we would leave the apt totally cleaned and wash the bed linen. Thank you. I can't afford more than£600
This is screaming "NO!" at me on so many levels! I intend to give my usual reply, with no discount on our listed rate. I don't expect to be hearing back from this enquirer!
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Annew

Post by Annew »

I've just had a similar enquiry Marumc
Our budget is £900, we have only 8 in our party and will not use all the beds and we will clean before we leave. We will also not be using the swimming pool. Do you have any flexibility on price
This enquiry is for a peak week in August for my cottage that sleeps 10, the rental rate is £2,100 and I haven't increased my prices for 3 years!!!

You can imagine how I wanted to reply, but I was very nice and suggested they book out of season for a cheaper rate - you never know!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Maybe I could forward the email just in from Pure Holiday Homes. In association with Bidango
We are excited to announce that next week we will publish a selection of fantastic holidays to bid for from just £1 with no reserve! Keep checking back to take advantage of the deals!
:shock:
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

I got that email too Maurmac and it made me a bit cross - it does raise the expectation of being able to get a bargain and means we will get more emails along these lines.

How bizarre to try and rent a place with a pool in August and suggest you won't use the swimming pool :shock:
donkey-on-the-edge

Post by donkey-on-the-edge »

... and I would want to suggest that they book somewhere that doesn't offer a pool, then!
You don't have to be mad to work here, but it does help!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Can I be a bit cynical here and suggest this is "game-on" punters using the recession as an excuse?

Quite frankly, if I represented a destitute, jobless family I wouldn't even consider a foreign holiday (do they ask Ryanair for a discount?) never mind haggling to get something nice at a bargain price.

When I was renting we got the occasional plea for discount and it was very easy to tell the genuine from the fakes and to my mind these are just trying it on - short shrift is the order of the day - I imagine you're (a) not that desperate and (b) not prepared to devalue your property by letting it at bargain-basement rates.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

it is becoming a serious pest, this kind of enquiries. emails no longer than 5 words, or text messages from a mobile phone with just this: 'need place to sleep.' i AM not phoning back anyone that rude!

my most recent enquirer looking for a bargain answered back after receiving the preferred date and price and wrote: 'thnks, looking for sth cheaper, if we won't use your jacuzzi, what's your price?' :roll:

i was really tempted to write back: 'shed available, bring sleeping bags, no toilet, no heating, shower only if it rains, price xxx.'

my pricing is far under that of the 2 local hotels, breakfast included. other B&B's in the vicinity 20-50 % more expensive... because just 5-10 kilometers closer to amsterdam!

another enquirer - a bit lazy, i think - asked how far to amsterdam? my reply: depends completely where in amsterdam you have to be! her reply: 'looking for a cheap place not further away than 15 mins driving.' i asked for the address in amsterdam: 'and i do want a place i can drive from without traffic jams in the morning.' my place was exactly 19 mins driving... 'thank you. too far for me.' :evil:
lolita

Discounts

Post by lolita »

I too am very frustrated with the way some enquiries expect you to be charitable! I had a woman from the Us asking for the cheapest price for 3 months stay and saying that she is on such and such a pension of $300.

Needles to say I was very polite to her but deep down I was screaming. Never heard from her again.
lolita

Discounts

Post by lolita »

I too am very frustrated with the way some enquiries expect you to be charitable! I had a woman from the Us asking for the cheapest price for 3 months stay and saying that she is on such and such a pension of $300.

Needles to say I was very polite to her but deep down I was screaming. Never heard from her again.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

lolita, it might surprise you a bit: a lot of us citizens have absolutely no idea what their money is worth outside their hometown. never having travelled abroad, some of these folks actually never owned a passport... until they make plans to 'see europe'. they can't handle exchange rates. that's one reason most of them travel with a guided tour arrangement... no offense meant to well travelled americans, but i did have my share in the past - but with patience and understanding, always a smile on your face, you can forgive and forget... :)
ceilwart26

Post by ceilwart26 »

What I have found in the past is that the people who ask for discounts, generally leave the palce a mess.
So as soon as I get someone asking, even politely, for a reduced price - I barr them and send a polite No Thank you.

I'd sooner have the place empty than be upset by selfish guests these days.
Jan Holmes
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

That's a bit much, isn't it? Just to barr someone for asking for a discount...

So, if someone very politely asked whether there was a modest discount possible (perhaps they were booking for 2 weeks, or last minute, or whatever...), you'd say "no" (fair enough). But then if they replied back and said "OK then... thank you... we've decided to go ahead anyway even though it's a little more than we'd like to spend", you'd say "sorry, but no... you're not coming"...????!!!! :shock:

I understand the sentiment that guests asking for discounts aren't always the best kinds of guests, but there are plenty of exceptions, I believe, and just barring someone for asking strikes me as rather extreme.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'm always open to a politely phrased request if it's not a peak week. I've given the odd discount to people who asked nicely, especially if it fits into a gap I'd like to book.

Those who demand, get the polite raspberry. They sound like trouble. There's plenty of lower priced places in Chamonix so if price is your main driver it's not worth the bother for me.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
ceilwart26

Post by ceilwart26 »

kendalcottages wrote:That's a bit much, isn't it? Just to barr someone for asking for a discount...

So, if someone very politely asked whether there was a modest discount possible (perhaps they were booking for 2 weeks, or last minute, or whatever...), you'd say "no" (fair enough). But then if they replied back and said "OK then... thank you... we've decided to go ahead anyway even though it's a little more than we'd like to spend", you'd say "sorry, but no... you're not coming"...????!!!! :shock:

I understand the sentiment that guests asking for discounts aren't always the best kinds of guests, but there are plenty of exceptions, I believe, and just barring someone for asking strikes me as rather extreme.
YES, because my experience is that they come and leave the place much worse than guests who didn't consider asking for a discount.
I appreciate there are exceptions, but it's a big red flag to me that these are generally people I want to avoid, so it would take a lot for me to want to take their booking.

We don't have many indicators for risk scoring and so I use what I have - good news for others if they want to take their bookings :D
Jan Holmes
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Well... I'm shocked. :shock:

If I saw someone had availability at the last minute for a property, I'd certainly think to ask if they could do anything on price at such short notice.

I would be polite, wouldn't necessarily expect anything off, and would leave the place in a good condition. If I received a reply saying 'no, sorry, there are no discounts', I wouldn't expect to be refused a booking if I then offered to stay for the full amount.

:shock: :shock:
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.