Our first real bookings - thanks to you lot

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Ciaram

Our first real bookings - thanks to you lot

Post by Ciaram »

Well guys, as you know I have been looking at moving to France but to get some experience I have very recently decided to start renting out our second home which is located on the south east coast of Ireland (Wexford).

I just targetted two bulletin boards of parenting websites which (as a parent of three boys under 6) I visit regularly. Anyway I highlighted the child/toddler friendly aspect of the house, good location etc. and looks like I've booked up Easter, May Bank holiday, 2 weeks in July and 4 weeks of August (which is booked by a family who took it for two weeks last year). I'm estatic and have to say that without LMH I never would have had the confidence to do it. Also even though I rented the house sort of half heartedly last year for three weeks I feel like I have a much more professional approach this year with confirmation letters, booking forms, deposits and I'm even working on my Guest Book at the moment. This is all thanks to you guys who I have learnt so much from and can't thank you enough.

Now my only query is how the hell do you not get completely confused with all the enquiries. I've had about 20 e:mails in 5 days and trying to remember who asked what and about when and what I said to them is a nightmare. Need to get more orgnaised and file my e:mails a bit better I supose plus have standard responses. Any more advice?

Anyway apart from my pure excitment about actually managing to get some decent income towards the mortage on this house for the first time ever I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU.

Best wishes

Ciara
moose

Post by moose »

I'm in the same boat as you - we've just launched our gite and have had a great response - again marketed as a child friendly gaff (2 boys under 4!!) and I'm indebted to LMH for the same reasons.

My (very new!!) system is that I leave all 'enquiries' on my email - but when they've confirmed I print them off and have a file with dividers with the dates on. I then have a cover page that ticks off if I've received their confirmations, deposits, requests for high chairs etc etc. A wall chart also tells me at a glance who is confirmed for when.

I know that many reply by phone but I reply by email a) to keep the costs down and b) so that I can keep a record (I know I'm too ditzy to remember it all :oops: )

I did lose track just recently of a week but by back tracking through the emails I (think!) sorted it out.

I'm sure much more experienced folk will come up with better systems but hope this helps a little!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi.Last year was my first and I was so excited by it all that I kept everything in my head ,without misshap!! This year I've approached things differently though :wink: I print off all the e-mails I get,plus all my replies- I even put the same piece of paper back in the photocopier the other way round to add further e-mail correspondance .I have files for "open enquiries" "closed" etc. I then have further files for booking forms,deposits,copies of invoices sent and other stuff.It sounds a bit complicated as I'm typing this but it isn't really,it's easy peasy.I've always kept a diary dedicated to the lettings,as well as spread sheets for when deposits are due ,final payments and deposits need returning.I also have a wall chart with stickers for booked weeks,and another large print out on the wall with the price bands. It's great that's it's going so well for you,good luck with everything :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've redirected mail to my googlemail account. It files all emails and replies on a particulaer topic together, so I can easily see what I said to whom.
Jaya Patel

Bookings

Post by Jaya Patel »

Hi could you advise me on the links for targetting parents please. Sounds as though you guys have done well thru them.Thanks
MAD WOMAN
Ciaram

Post by Ciaram »

I posted info on www.eumom.com and www.magicmum.com as I am a contributor to these boards anyway. Probably best to build up a bit of credibility on the board first and then advise them of your rental accommodation. Magicmum has a holiday section so that's probably the right place to post it.

I'm sure there are loads of others all over the world. These ones have an Irish focus which is why I post on these.

Good luck
cromercrabholiday

Re: Our first real bookings - thanks to you lot

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Ciaram wrote: Now my only query is how the hell do you not get completely confused with all the enquiries. I've had about 20 e:mails in 5 days and trying to remember who asked what and about when and what I said to them is a nightmare. Need to get more orgnaised and file my e:mails a bit better I supose plus have standard responses. Any more advice?
We use an enquiry form where Jane takes down as many details as they are willing to give at that stage. She seems to keep track very well (or is it just female multi-tasking?).

John
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

This is also our first year of renting out our farmhouse in Italy. At first we were very nervous but after spending many hours reading this website and researching other holiday rentals we decided to give it ago.

After 3 months, we have 13 weeks booked - using 2 websites and some family and friends. I think it's probally beginners luck so fingers crossed that an increase in rate next year produces the same reuslt.

thks :D
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yay!!! Well done you, 13 weeks booked from your first 3 months sounds pretty good to me :lol: