Review for another oldie!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
la vache!

Review for another oldie!

Post by la vache! »

As Ju was brave enough to put her website forward, so will I! Its quite basic and I know that the menu should be on the side/top instead of the bottom, but I haven't yet worked out how to do this easily! Any comments would be welcome.
Last edited by la vache! on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Dear Oldie,

My first thoughts when opening the page and clicking around were:-

1. Absolutely great photos. In fact, your photos probably would sell the accommodation more than anything else. Well done.
2. Absolutely gorgeous looking (I'm talking about the font and shadow for your logo - classy and clean.
3. Colourful and clean looking page.
4. Love the Guest Book binder image.
5. Looks good in Internet Explorer and FireFox but I suggest you research DOCTYPE and insert at the top of your html so you don't come across browser problems in the future.

So basically, the site looks fine and dandy - Dave Shephards work eh?

But, sites aren't perfect and just thought you might like to know some picky points from me. Nothing too serious but something you might want to look at in the future??

1. The Enquiry Form looks a little bit daunting and maybe a slight redesign would be better in a vertical manner instead of a horizontal?
2. I wanted to click on Booking Conditions coz it was underlined but it isn't a link.
3. Contact Us is the same link as Prices. Maybe you could create a seperate page?
4. Like you say, the menu needs to be at the top and it could put people off if they can't find the links easily. I suggest to get this done ASAP.

Apart from that, please give me big discount and I will be on my way.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for your comments Reddevil - yes, the website is the work of Dave Shephard, how did you guess! I have been doing some of the more minor text and photo updates, but I will need his expertise to change the menu around, but I agree with you, the menu at the bottom of the page is rather lost from view and doesn't make for easy navigation. Thanks for your nice comments about the photos, most people who stay say they don't do the place justice. It is such a huge building, it's difficult to get a good photo of all of it as hedges in front of the house prevent a decent view.
Thanks again - I will look at the enquiry form, I don't want it to be too daunting!
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Susan

I've had a look at your site, and just have a few comments.

1. Although your photos are nice and the site is well presented, I think the front page lacks a certain oomph! I'm finding it hard to put into words, but what I mean is that although there is nothing at all wrong with the home page, it doesn't grab me.

2. I think the font could do with going up one size, it is a little to small. (eg if it is 10pt I would put it up to 11pt)

3. The menu would definately be better either at the top or at the side.

I don't know if this is useful at all, I've actually been thinking about what to say since you posted, and I'm still not sure I've put it right.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for your comments Ju, if you do get any ideas how to give more oomph then please let me know! Maybe the whole thing is just too plain. I thought the font was a little small, so will try and adjust it.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Susan,

Part of my problem of how to say what I thought, was that I couldn't immediately think of a solution. I will think about it and get back to you.

Ju
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Having looked at the homepage again, maybe it could be improved with an appealing (emotional) large title instead of the Welcome to Brittany?

As we know, people don't like to read - they like to scan and so maybe the paragraphs could be spread out and the wording made a bit more catchy.

FWIW I think the font size is OK and I have my PC at a 1024 x780 resolution.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi, I've changed the title, does this look better? Will try and spread out text later. Could you also try the contact us link to see if directs you to send an e-mail? Cheers.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Susan

Definately a big improvement. You could try to split the paragraph up so that it says

Three self-catering holiday rental cottages
situated in a fascinating area of Brittany

Well done, it is amazing what a difference such a small change makes.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Ju & Reddevil - I've had another go, still not sure if things should be a little less cluttered on the homepage. I'd never thought about the title before, it wasn't really relevant to the holiday rentals market at all, so many thanks for pointing that out - it's strange how we miss the obvious sometimes!
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Susan,

Yes, with that small change to the title it has made the page look more inviting – amazing really!

BTW, I suggest you move that menu to the top of the page ASAP so you can see what it looks like with the new title there.

Maybe think about adding more descriptives to “the original farmhouse� to read something like eg.…�enchanting 19th century farmhouse with 6 bedrooms�. And change the “three bedroomed cottage� to something like “idyllic cottage hideaway in the countryside�.

Warning - It is said that a website is NEVER finished and there will always be something you think could be improved. There has to be a time when you say STOP! Having said that, I would make all the photos on the homepage the same size as it looks a bit skew-whiff at the mo?

Good luck.

RD
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Whoops! Forgot to say that the Contact Us link does open up my email account with your email address.

You can also set this up so it automatically has a subject line
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Reddevil, will continue working on it! BTW, I seperated out the enquiry form from the prices &availability, it this better? Should the contact us now be directed to this page or is it OK to have 2 ways of contacting the owner?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

How do I set up a subject line for the contact us e-mail?
Thanks
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Susan,

Is the font you use Aerial? if so try it in bold, it might look crap, but......nothing ventured etc
Cheers
PC