New desktop computer - what make?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nemo

New desktop computer - what make?

Post by Nemo »

I started computer life on an Apple, but transferred over to a Dell many many years ago and have remained with them ever since. I like being able to spec a new computer myself which Dell allows you to do, but it's not essential.

Much as I know many of you have Apples, I don't think I'm going to go back to them. IT support (hubby :lol: ) wouldn't have a clue how to help me for one!

I think it's time to leave Dell behind, so any recommendations? I was thinking HP, but I also don't know where would be best to buy from in the UK. I don't want to do PC world for example.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

What's your problem with Dell, Nemo?

I've always had them and my workplace completely re-equipped with them a few years ago - my experience is that they're as good as anything and better than most.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I think they are slow compared to others Mols, or so I've been told. I also bought a Dell laptop last year that has a few software compatability issues that it probably shouldn't have.

Hubby has an HP laptop (as did my son before moving on to an Apple) and he thinks the processors are better? I don't really no Mols, that's why I ask. I'm not into the tech specs I just want a good reliable computer!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just looked at John Lewis and see that out of the top 5 most popular models 4 are iMacs. :lol: One HP model comes second. They also sell Sony Vaios and Acers. I suppose JL are as good an indicator of what's good, apart from no-one else can sell Dell apart from Dell.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hi Nemo,
Assuming Dell isn't a problem, then the Dell outlet store may have some real bargains.
My current PC came from there, at about half the 'a la carte' price, but the cheap stuff seems to sell within minutes of being listed.
They used to be graded by condition, but my 'scratch & dent' (lowest/cheapest grade) PC took me a good 15 minutes of looking for the damage to spot a slight scrape on the side. I wouldn't have risked it for anything with a screen though.

I'm not sure whether there are still bargains to be had, but it may be worth a look?
Open for business.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

What model did you get? I need a new screen as well Dave as my current one is not widescreen (although it means I can see if my website looks ok on a small screen :) ). Would you buy that new but separately then? I did notice that Costco now sell separate screens including Philips ones, so that must be a newer trend.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hi Nemo,
It was an Inspiron 580 - probably an old model now as it was a couple of years ago.

The monitor is a different story. I had a really good publishing-quality HP CRT monitor, but newer graphics cards don't seem to support the refresh rates needed by CRTs. The PC I bought had a good amount of graphics memory and good GPU (which can be used by Photoshop) so I was reluctant to bin that and buy another to support my old monitor, so ended up having to replace my monitor too :oops:
So in effect I got a 'free' (Dell 2209) monitor (in that the monitor took up the savings from the PC) rather than a cheap PC.

I suppose that's something that's always worth bearing in mind when updating from an old PC - never assume that old peripherals will still work...
Open for business.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Nemo wrote:What model did you get? I need a new screen as well Dave as my current one is not widescreen (although it means I can see if my website looks ok on a small screen :) ). Would you buy that new but separately then? I did notice that Costco now sell separate screens including Philips ones, so that must be a newer trend.
It is a trend to show a low price, just like airlines not including costs for CC or taxes.

I would stick with a Dell, although I don't have one here in Spain as they were far too expensive compared with a local shop where I could spec one up.
Is not HP ending production of PCs and laptops?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I wouldn't buy electrical stuff anywhere but John Lewis. They have always been brilliant with any problems which have arised. I've always been a Sony Vaio fan. My latest is similar to this one http://www.johnlewis.com/231297465/Product.aspx It was bought with the money out of my dad's estate so I wanted to push the boat out and get something decent.

The screen is huge, great for graphics for me and lets you have a couple of windows open to switch between.

I also have an HP Compaq laptop which I've been very happy with for the last 18 month. Good luck!

p.s I have my eye on the Sony tablet too, I'm put off ipads by the lack of flash, the Sony one looks a great shape.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Nemo try this site to help you make up your mind. I've used it a lot in the past and have found it helpful:

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/desktop-computers/
Marks

Post by Marks »

I have both a Dell and an HP laptop. Couldn't say which one was better.......
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks for the replies so far; lots to think about. The test freaks site looks helpful as well, so thanks alifrank1. Anymore experiences welcome. :)
pambon

Post by pambon »

Is not HP ending production of PCs and laptops?

I also read that news. I was thinking of purchasing an HP, (I like the one my son has) until I read that. My Acer is getting on a bit now :(

I'd be willing to learn to manage an Apple but there is no assistence locally, which virtually puts an end to that idea.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Nemo wrote:... no-one else can sell Dell apart from Dell.
Actually, you can buy them all over the place (Amazon, PC World...), but only in preconfigured packages. Buying direct allows you to "build your own", or better still go to the Outlet store as mentioned above, but again those are preconfigured.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Why would you need computer support with a Mac? Go back, go back, go back. You know I'm right!!!