New desktop computer - what make?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

8)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

wallypott wrote:Why would you need computer support with a Mac? Go back, go back, go back. You know I'm right!!!
Friend has just had a huge bill from Apple for a replacement hard drive after the first replacement failed in just 6 months. The warranty on the replacement was only 90 days, and they were going to charge him £500 as they replaced the screen while they were at it without telling him.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I threw (accidentally) a wooden coat hanger at my macbook screen and had it replaced by a local guy (not a mac place) and it cost 150€ and took 2 days. Bloody thrilled to bits me. Honestly I may just be lucky, but I am immensely clumsy. My macbook has fallen down the stairs onto the tiled floor - absolutely fine, and lasted since 2008, longer than any car I've ever had! I honestly think for a laptop, you'd be hard pushed to do better than a macbook (just double up the ram before you buy). I am a mac devotee of 22 years standing, and while I have always had PCs at work - and they are regularly upgraded I just never get the same level of pleasure out of them.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Once you mac, you never go back! Just think about that windows chugging stuff....!

Edit - sorry should have said that I live a Mac household and couldn't possibly think about anything else, plus, Mac's just look and feel sooooo good!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

If you rely heavily on your computers for your business(es) - and who doesn't - buying an expensive off-the-shelf system (be it PC or Mac) isn't - like oranges - the only fruit! I'm a long-time apostle of delegating to fellow professionals and working to my strengths. Last year, I was having problems with my powerful PC system, which kept freezing and losing vital files. Drove me close to despair. After careful research, I found a computer expert (some distance away) who visited, sorted the problems with my original machine and built me a back-up computer, to my specifications, from a mixture of new parts and second-hand stuff from equipment that he'd upgraded.

Five months on and harmony has been restored to Chateau Perigord. All is running smoothly and my new computer guy is always on the end of his phone. Lots of redundant but lightly-used refurbished or second-hand equipment out there, just waiting to give you years of service at a modest price. And professional experts to hold your hand when necessary.
Jim
Windy

Post by Windy »

I'm still only semi-convinced by my year old Macbook Pro.

I sort of like it but occasionally hate it. Mostly when trying to connect to Wifi hotspsst and failing whilst all the Windows machines nearby happily work. hate the fact that MS Office for Mac is a crippled piddling version of the Windows offering. Bill's little joke perhaps?
you'd be hard pushed to do better than a macbook (just double up the ram before you buy)
As regard RAM I'd qualify that advice - double it up after you buy.

Cost of 4Gb to 8Gb upgrade bought off Amazon £49.99
Cost of 4Gb to 8Gb upgrade bought from CrApple £320

hmmmm...
gam

Post by gam »

We're a bit of a digital family with 2 iMacs, a MacBook, 4 MS PC desktops (2 for business use, 2 for home entertainment use), a laptop and a netbook - and no doubt an iPad when my wife finally justifies it to herself :)

Two of my kids work in digital media - they're the Mac fans. The other is a web developer - he's not a Mac fan. My wife has been seduced by the Apple hype and I'm an MS fan because of cost and universality of hardware/software. Taking my family as sample, the more technically minded you are the more MS pro you are.

It's almost a religion when people get hooked by Apple and in discussion I've felt a bit like an atheist trying to convince a devout Christian that they're misguided. I could stack up a very solid argument why a Mac is not a good choice over a similarly specced MS PC but it would be futile. You've either caught the "bug" or you haven't.

But I can see the attraction. Who wouldn't be impressed by a fully loaded 27" iMac? A thing of beauty for sure.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

gam wrote: I could stack up a very solid argument why a Mac is not a good choice over a similarly specced MS PC but it would be futile. You've either caught the "bug" or you haven't.
I'm happy to hear the argument! My son, who's a photgrapher's assistant, has gone over to Mac and as I said before I started life on one, but other than that we have 2 MS PC desktops and 4 laptops in the family.

3 converts to iphone though with me waiting to convert once I can justify the dosh. (My phone screen has pixellated so it won't be long - but having just bought a new camera, I can't believe I'm having to buy a computer and a phone all within weeks.... :( )
pambon

Post by pambon »

Even if I didn't need convincing, after reading this thread, I'll (have to!) stick with MS and choose the make of laptop with care. Must say I'm enjoying temporarily using my offspring's HP, pity they are running this side of their business down.

I've reached the stage in life when I can do with the minimum of hassle so anything I buy in the IT dept. must provide assistance either at the end of the phone, a short walk away or a short drive away :oops:

(MAC does not fulfill any of these requirements in our neck of the woods.)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I can't afford a MAC, or the new software I'd have to buy, or the time to deal with the hassle of the free programs I use a lot not working, so it is always Windows here.
I think I would buy an Asus if I bought another laptop as they are very good, but I've no idea about the desktop.
My current laptop is HP and I hate it with a passion. The fan is on most of the time.
A brand I would definitely avoid is Packard Bell.
Sorry, I think this post is as helpful as a chocolate teapot!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No I think its very helpful to get a general feel for what people are using/like/dislike especially as we are such a disparate group across the globe with a huge variation of technical ability!
pambon

Post by pambon »

The fan is on most of the time. Yes LV I have noticed that too while using the offspring's HP laptop but I like the keyboard better than my Acer. Asus and Samsung are popular here.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well after much delay and some deliberation, I plumped for another Dell; an XPS 8500.

I consulted test freak which was really useful and it is no 1 out of 127 Dell computers and 4 out of all 1205 desktops currently reviewed.

It is aimed at the gaming market (which is not how I use it funnily enough!) but it has a very fast processor and runs very quietly. It is leaps ahead of any previous Dell I've owned.

For the technical amongst you, it has an Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB RAM, Hard Drive of 2TB plus 32GB of SSD.

All that means to me is it has more space than I'll ever need & is really really fast. :D

The downside is it has Windows 8 and I have upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010, so I am now on a very heavy learning curve. Had to be done though!

I bought through topcashback, using a discount code, so received 11.11% discount, free shipping and further cash back if it tracks properly. The only downside was Dell delayed taking the payment; on chasing it, some idiot in India placed a new order instead of chasing the original. Net result: I have paid and am now in possession of two Dell computers, awaiting a refund & collection of the second order! :roll:
pambon

Post by pambon »

Nemo wrote: The downside is it has Windows 8 and I have upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010, so I am now on a very heavy learning curve. Had to be done though!

Yikes! This is what awaits me in a fortnight but with Windows 7 and an upgrade from Office 2000:oops: Confess I'm getting a bit scared :cry:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ha ha, I'm sure we'll be fine. You're never too old they say. :wink:

Mind you I did have to google how to shut the computer down, which we found hysterical! Google really is your best friend in instances like this.

You know to shout out though if you have problems; there's usually a helpful bod here when you need one. :D