Google's New PrivacyLaws

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
pambon

Google's New PrivacyLaws

Post by pambon »

On March 1st the new Privacy Laws of Google will become active.

Although I know how to delete my Web History from the site, can someone please clear up some things that are not clear to me :oops:

1) I use the google chrome browser and often refer to Chronology to find sites I use fairly frequently - if I delete my web history will all this chronology be wiped clean?

2) after March 1 will the sites I visit be recorded in Chronology if I delete my previous web history or will I have nothing to refer to in a quick site search?

Thanks in advance to all the knowledgable members out there for your comments.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Can't answer your question but here's something odd -

I tried to clear my google web history this morning....it's impossible - they've already removed the option, which I find very sinister. My only options now are "no thanks" or "turn web history on".

Even more strangely, if I go to the help options down the side of the page it gives me the instructions on how to clear my Web History...and yet those options are not there on my account page.

Comparing notes with others...it seems not everyone has lost their clear history option yet. Wonder if you still have the option pambon?
pambon

Post by pambon »

Yep, Tavi I do, at least moments before I opened this topic, maybe it's been taken down since then :roll:
tavi

Post by tavi »

Web History makes search better

Your Web History includes searches you've done on Google and pages you've clicked in search results. Web History allows you to:
See personalized search predictions as you type.
Get results and recommendations that are tailored to your preferences.
Search the full content of pages you've already seen.
You can view and edit your Web History from any computer by signing in to your Google Account. Learn more.

No thanks Turn Web History on

...................................................................................

The above is copy-pasted. Can't work out how to do a screen shot on this little net book!

In my Google account page it tells me I can view and edit my web history but when I go to "web history" the above is what I get. :?

The privacy policy is not supposed to change until 1st March so how come I'm getting this?....I've been all over the help questions and I always come back to this page.

Can't help feeling it's a little sinister...especially after yesterday's Daily Mail article which told you how to delete your Google Web History in advance of 1st March.

Still, none of this helps you with your original question...sorry!