Free translation service

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
paolo

Free translation service

Post by paolo »

I came across this site:

http://www.thewordsmith.cjb.net

This is what it offers:
The Wordsmith is a non-profit organisation offering free translations from and into English from six different languages. Unlike online translation machines which translate literally, and therefore inaccurately. I am a professional translator and will produce a precise translation at no cost to you.

Whether it be a lengthy business document, piece of literature or short text, your translation will be returned within seven working days by email.
It's a on-page site, no contact information except an email address, no names. The languages offered are French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish and Dutch.

So what's the catch? Well, I haven't found one (yet).

I emailed asking how and why they can offer free translation. I got an email back from a Megan Owen saying she just enjoys it.

So I sent a bit of text for translation into French just to test the quality. After about 3 days I got it back. It is clearly done by a person, not a bit of software, and it looks very good to me. Only one glitch - guestbook has been translated as 'complaints book'.

It's the bit on guest questionnaires from the last Lay My Hat newsletter. Here is some of it for those of you who speak French:
Fournissez-vous un questionnaire à vos locataires à la fin de chaque séjour ? Si non, vous risquez de laisser passer de précieuses informations sur votre logement, votre marketing et vous-même !

Vos locataires ne vont pas forcément se plaindre à vous en personne ou dans le livre des réclamations à propos de soucis mineurs ou d’omissions dans votre propriété . Par contre, si vous les munissez d’un simple questionnaire à remplir, ils vous indiqueront tout un ensemble d’améliorations peu chères auxquelles vous n’avez réféchies tel le besoin d’une cafetière électrique ou encore celui d’une lumière près de la porte d’entrée pour éclairer la serrure la nuit.

C’est en fait le dernier pas dans un processus de communication qui commence par la demande d’impressions. C’est une façon de dire « c’était comment, votre séjour ? »
Is this one of the internet's best-kept secrets? Or is there no such thing as a free lunch?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Darren

Post by Darren »

Nice find Paolo!

Seems too good to be true. I've looked for professional translators in the past and they were too expensive.

I've emailed them too - I have an article that I'd like translated into Spanish.

Will let you know how I get on.

Darren
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Darren

I´m a fluent Spanish speaker so if you want to send the article on to me to check once it´s been translated, I´d be happy to oblige!

Linda :)
Darren

Post by Darren »

Thanks Linda!

I recieved an email from them today and it is free, but to test out the translation if you could have a read of it that would be great!

I'll email the article to them tonight.

I've just started to learn Spanish, started a night class, so far I have picked up : donde esta el pub? :wink:

Darren