Comments please on my website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Marks

Post by Marks »

You mean you don't make at least a daily pilgrimage to LMH :lol:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Marks wrote:You mean you don't make at least a daily pilgrimage to LMH :lol:
Sacrilege....
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Marks wrote:There is always 'view posts since your last visit' you can use each time you visit the forum.
very true and to be honest when I come onto LMH (which is quite often) I do tend to look at this but somehow this one slipped the net - have noted all comments and have amended website but am learning this is work always in progress :wink:
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

You have bags of enthusiasm, Happylady, and that shines through your posts. :)

If 'prefered' is your preferred spelling, then so be it! :(
HolidayHomeInformation

Post by HolidayHomeInformation »

Sorry I'm coming to this discussion a bit late, but hope the following helps:

How about some local specific information in a list of bullet points?

- The nearest newsagent is xxx yards away.
- the nearest takeaway is xxx yards away.
and the so on for:
town centre, convenience store, supermarket, Glen Gardens, leisure centre, beach, cash machine, petrol station...

Also a Days Out page where you list the website addresses of attractions and their distance from the property?
Thinking:
- York
- Flamingo Land
- North York Moors
- Scarborough and Whitby
- North York Moors
- Castle Howard
I'm always interested to see how guests travel a long way (50 miles +) for a day out.

The North Yorkshire coastline is a beautiful part of the world - good luck!
Andy
Live near the beach in South Devon - looking forward to the summer!
www.holidayhomeinformation.co.uk
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

HolidayHomeInformation wrote:
Also a Days Out page where you list the website addresses of attractions and their distance from the property?
Thinking:
- York
- Flamingo Land
- North York Moors
- Scarborough and Whitby
- North York Moors
- Castle Howard
I'm always interested to see how guests travel a long way (50 miles +) for a day out.

The North Yorkshire coastline is a beautiful part of the world - good luck!
Andy
great idea for a day's out page - on my to do list :)
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Wonkeye wrote:You have bags of enthusiasm, Happylady, and that shines through your posts. :)

If 'prefered' is your preferred spelling, then so be it! :(
thanks for your comments Wonkeye - been trying to find the spello but for the life of me can-t find it - will have another sift through,

ps I'm a secretary so I do like to get spellings write :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Happylady wrote:
Wonkeye wrote: If 'prefered' is your preferred spelling, then so be it! :(
thanks for your comments Wonkeye - been trying to find the spello but for the life of me can-t find it - will have another sift through.
Hint: Look underneath your calendar. :wink:
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Nemo wrote:
Happylady wrote:
thanks for your comments Wonkeye - been trying to find the spello but for the life of me can-t find it - will have another sift through.
I think your glasses are stronger, Nemo!
While you're at it, Happylady, you might like to reread your text with a view to seeing where inserting more commas would make it easier to follow, which I mentioned on page 1 of this post. One useful way is to read your text out loud and note where you pause. E.g in "Recently modernised our first floor, 2 bedroomed self-catering apartment provides spacious accommodation with a touch of luxury". There are lots more instances of this.
Oh yes, and the use of "changeover day" and "change over day" on the same page.

I''m now feeling even more schoolmistressy than I did before, but I just had to get all that off my chest. It's well meant!
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Nemo wrote:
Happylady wrote:
Wonk eye you are totally correct, however, its a bit of a bummer really because its automative input on the calendar I'm using and its not possible for me to change it - now I really am frustrated, that must be why my enquiries aren't converting :wink:
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Happylady wrote:ps I'm a secretary so I do like to get spellings write :)
Freudian slip? :roll:
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

[

I''m now feeling even more schoolmistressy than I did before, but I just had to get all that off my chest. It's well meant![/quote]

I know, thank you got to get on with my commas now! :?
Laurel

Post by Laurel »

Hi Happylady

I am coming more from a guest perspective here. Have rented many self-catering holiday places in the past and love the internet 'scouting' part. We have a dog so unfortunately are not potential customers for you but hopefully these comments may be useful.

Overall the site and tone is very welcoming and friendly, the apartment looks well-equipped and the rooms seem spotlessly clean, light-filled, thoughtfully decorated and nicely comfortable.

I get the impression that you, the owners, love the area, look after the accommodation well and really care that your guests have a great time. Thumbs up to the gentle inference that buying 'lovely Yorkshire produce' from local shops is preferable to shopping at Tesco ;)

However, in my opinion, the external photos do still let it down I'm afraid. I don't know Filey at all and am afraid that these pictures would not entice me to visit. Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but my impression is that, if these are the best possible photos, then it must always be a bit dull and windswept. Which I'm sure is not the case! I know this is a work in progress and especially hard to improve on with the current rubbish weather... but here are my humble observations:

Would it be possible to remove the grey border at the bottom of the header photo on the front page? It took me a while to work out why the beach looked unwelcoming and it's only this bar that makes a potentially lovely photo look a bit dowdy.

Could you re-take or zoom in on the photo of the house exterior at the bottom of the front page? The terrace has a really attractive facade but the carparking spaces and parked cars distract attention and detract from it.

Is it possible to bring a bit more atmosphere into the shots of the beach and promenade? At the moment it looks like they are just shown as evidence that there IS a beach and a promenade nearby rather than giving an impression of what it actually feels like to be there.

It could be useful to have a look at local tourism websites to see what photos they use to 'sell' the area. It may give you some ideas of the best angles and vantage points to use for the most attractive views.

I recently came across this website: http://www.picturenation.co.uk/result?source=fp&s=filey where you can buy photos of your local area with full permission to use on websites etc. They seem very good value at £1 per photo and don't look like boring stock/generic snaps. There are some of Filey which are very evocative and could be useful to add atmosphere to your website without having to wait for the perfect sunny day to get out there yourself.

I would be interested to know if anyone else on LMH has had experience of buying or using this type of photo service before... Are there any hidden costs?

We are still waiting for a boundary issue to be resolved before completing on our holiday property in Cornwall (over 4 months since they accepted our offer so getting a bit bored now!) but will definitely ask for reviews of our site if we ever get to that stage.

With best wishes
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Laurel wrote:Hi Happylady

I am coming more from a guest perspective here. Have rented many self-catering holiday places in the past and love the internet 'scouting' part. We have a dog so unfortunately are not potential customers for you but hopefully these comments may be useful.

Overall the site and tone is very welcoming and friendly, the apartment looks well-equipped and the rooms seem spotlessly clean, light-filled, thoughtfully decorated and nicely comfortable.

I get the impression that you, the owners, love the area, look after the accommodation well and really care that your guests have a great time. Thumbs up to the gentle inference that buying 'lovely Yorkshire produce' from local shops is preferable to shopping at Tesco ;)

However, in my opinion, the external photos do still let it down I'm afraid. I don't know Filey at all and am afraid that these pictures would not entice me to visit. Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but my impression is that, if these are the best possible photos, then it must always be a bit dull and windswept. Which I'm sure is not the case! I know this is a work in progress and especially hard to improve on with the current rubbish weather... but here are my humble observations:

Would it be possible to remove the grey border at the bottom of the header photo on the front page? It took me a while to work out why the beach looked unwelcoming and it's only this bar that makes a potentially lovely photo look a bit dowdy.

Could you re-take or zoom in on the photo of the house exterior at the bottom of the front page? The terrace has a really attractive facade but the carparking spaces and parked cars distract attention and detract from it.

Is it possible to bring a bit more atmosphere into the shots of the beach and promenade? At the moment it looks like they are just shown as evidence that there IS a beach and a promenade nearby rather than giving an impression of what it actually feels like to be there.

It could be useful to have a look at local tourism websites to see what photos they use to 'sell' the area. It may give you some ideas of the best angles and vantage points to use for the most attractive views.

I recently came across this website: http://www.picturenation.co.uk/result?source=fp&s=filey where you can buy photos of your local area with full permission to use on websites etc. They seem very good value at £1 per photo and don't look like boring stock/generic snaps. There are some of Filey which are very evocative and could be useful to add atmosphere to your website without having to wait for the perfect sunny day to get out there yourself.

With best wishes
thank you, really helpful information. Great to hear that the fact that we love our place is really coming across. TBH I really am aware that the external picture is not the best but its really difficult and almost impossible to get a picture without the cars etc but we're up there soon and will give this another try! will have a look at picture nation very useful info.

many thanks :D
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Laurel, just changed the introductory piccy on my site, also put my previous attempt of the outside view of the apartment back on - would be interested in hearing your thoughts!