Starting out with facebook - to promote your holiday rental

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: Oh Ray, you are a one!!!!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Ray,
Thanks for these instructions. I've taken the plunge to sign up and make a page following your instructions. The whole social networking thing is still a complete mystery to me, so I haven't managed to add any content yet...... that will have to wait until next weekend for another attempt.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I hope my 'experience' has helped at least a little bit Dotty, but don't worry, you're not on your own.
I was able to add a 'cover' to my business page, but I still can't figure out how to add a 'cover' photo to my personal profile :roll:
I gave up and just posted the question on my own 'wall', but no 'advisers' have come along just yet :wink:

There are lots of people on LMH here Dotty that are either much more 'seasoned' with FB, or just pick things up more quickly than I do, so if you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask your questions here :)
Ray
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

OK, well I've tried to add something to my property page now and it hasn't appeared there, so I don't know what I've done wrong!!!!
Can someone help???

I wrote something in the status box on the property page and added a photo there too, thinking it would go onto the property page as an item below the cover photo and profile pic, as I've seen on other people's pages. But nothing has appeared there. The photo (or at least parts of it!!) seems to be shown in my thumbnail photos for the property page as a 'wall' photo. I've searched around back on my personal page and the photo and text is shown on the 'my newsfeed' part there labelled as the property page name. What did I do wrong to get it there? and how do I get it to show on the property page?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can enlighten me.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

You WANT your posts to your business page to show up in people's newsfeeds, that's a good thing -- that's how you get your message spread (perhaps moreso than by having people visit your page, ultimately).

Try going back to your business page and scrolling down a bit -- your post probably did get added to the timeline, but might be "below the fold" depending on what else you have on your page and how big your computer's display screen is.

The other point is to have patience. Facebook is such a big tangled thing that sometimes things take a while, or don't always behave exactly as you would expect. Since they are in the middle of transitioning business pages to the timeline format, things have been a little bit screwy sometimes.

Which brings up the question, are you working on your business page in the old "wall" format but in timeline preview mode or have you "published" your page in the new timeline format? My page is still in the old format, but stuff I've done in the timeline preview mode doesn't show up on my page's old "wall" (and vice versa), at least not in a timely fashion.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I've spent the last 45mins going round in circles myself on fb, trying to figure this one out for you Dotty.

The only thing I can think of is as harborfields suggests, that there is either a gliche in the system, or the post and pic is still whizzing round in the ether somewhere. Pics I have uploaded have sometimes taken 24hrs to appear !
Ray
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Thanks HolidayRay and Harborfields for the replies.

Ray, thanks for liking the page - As I hadn't got anything onto it I didn't feel able to ask anyone to like it yet! I've liked your page back - well at least I think I have. Your posts are now showing in my newsfeed too.

To both, I guess I'll just wait for a bit and see if my post eventually appears on my property page. (I have scrolled down and its not below the fold).
Harborfields wrote: Which brings up the question, are you working on your business page in the old "wall" format but in timeline preview mode or have you "published" your page in the new timeline format? My page is still in the old format, but stuff I've done in the timeline preview mode doesn't show up on my page's old "wall" (and vice versa), at least not in a timely fashion.
I really don't know the answer to this. I only signed up last weekend and I don't think I've come across any options asking me to set/change these. On the property page I don't seem to have options for wall etc, just the timeline shows up, but with nothing on it, but on the personal page I do have wall, info, photos etc options down the left hand side to choose from.

Thanks again for help & suggestions.
Liz
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Not 100% certain Dotty, but I think if you only 'signed up' at the weekend, then you wouldn't have a choice about what timeline format you can use. Fb are currently in the process of changing all subscribers over to the new style whether they like it or not.
Ray
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

You were right about needing patience - it did take nearly a day, but my first post has appeared on the page now. :D Now I have the confidence to add something else....in a few days perhaps!
Thanks to people who've 'liked' my page - I think I've liked your pages back from my personal page.
Was there a list somewhere of LMH pages to like? I thought there was but I can't find it now.....then I can like some more pages 8)
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Dotty,
nemo very kindly started gathering all the pages on this thread
viewtopic.php?t=16494&postdays=0&postor ... &start=180 :)
Ray