ok...can i take it??? what do youthink of my site????

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
caboroig

ok...can i take it??? what do youthink of my site????

Post by caboroig »

ok i'm scared.... a complete novice in computers i set this up just for the apartment... thoughts please good bad and ugly...i can take it :) :lol: www.holidaysinspain.weebly.com
Windy

Post by Windy »

Works for me although somehow it feels a bit generic. Everything is there but something is still missing. Maybe somebody else can put it better / put their finger on it?

Also I'd replace the images with the listing site watermark.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I like to see a big picture gallery that illustrates what's on offer around the gite. My impression of this gallery is that some of the photographs are too similar to each other and a few close-ups mixed with the wider shots would make the gallery more attractive. The quality varies (some are poor) and making sure that all the shots are the same size (and not mixing portrait with landscapes) would be more pleasing to the eye. And, as Windy says, removing extraneous logos and camera data would be good. And, it's odd, when clicking on some pix, for them to open up to a smaller size than the original!

But ... I do like to see a big picture gallery. So, more plusses than minuses from me.

And Holiday Sin Spain sounds like a useful marketing slogan!
Jim
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

I really like it apart from a couple of things. On the first page the first line of you wish you were here for some reason turned me off personally I would have put it at the end after your description.

Also when I looked at the prices you're saying that you'll pay 50E towards the bills - as I have no idea of the costs over there it would make me look at alternatives where all costs are included. From my point of view I would prefer charges where all heating costs are included.

These are just my thoughts and I think overall your site is very good. Given me idea for mine!
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

"Who flys to us!" Is this new-fangled spelling? And the exclamation mark makes it seem you'd be surprised if anyone ever did!!!!!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Jimbo wrote: And Holiday Sin Spain sounds like a useful marketing slogan!
Hah! I thought it was just me who saw that first!

Couple of specific comments:
The inside photos all have the blinds shut - straight away I'm suspicious that there's something gross outside! You say the apartment has a sea view, but you don't show it.
A number of your photos are not good quality - suspect they're bigger than the original. And agree with others - lose the watermark and camera data. And (sorry) just too many photos of concrete precincts for me!
'Flys' in menu should be 'flies'.

I know exactly what Windy means. The site does the job, but doesn't inspire. Facts are good and necessary, but I think I'd want more than just a list of facilities if I were to think about booking. It comes over a bit as though you like the area (you describe that, and things to do there) but are a bit ambivalent about your apartment.

I'd strongly suggest that you get yourself a proper domain name - using a free Weebly domain doesn't look good. It's easy to buy a domain from Go Daddy or the like and point it at Weebly - I know, I do it myself! (Happy to help you out if you like - just ask).
caboroig

Post by caboroig »

thank you for all your comments.... i will def take them onboard... i am a computer novice to be honest and not great... so i will have to up my game on that... i will spend some time on it over the next week and maybe ask my mangement team to get more photos with blinds up etc .... i am sure there are photos of the sea view? but i'll double check.

i am going to go through all your comments 1 by 1 and will act on them...thank you all ever so much.... it's my mums apartment and i try to do everything for her as she can't herself now... so help off you all has been great.

is there a thread anyhere regards to whos best to advertise with, i have been on HL but there costs are so high...and didn't generate enough bookings... any advise on that too or if you regulars know a link to point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated :)

i will look forward to more critisism :wink: :lol:
caboroig

Post by caboroig »

for french cricket and jimbo lol... so would you not go with holidays in spain because of the holiday sin spain :)
caboroig

Post by caboroig »

for french cricket ... so i can keep the weebly site but get a different domain name? ...i would have no idea how to point it to weebly? yes i am really that bad! :oops:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

caboroig, yes, you certainly can. Pick yourself up a domain name from, say, Go Daddy, but don't go for hosting with them - Weebly will continue to host your site for free and you simply set up the DNS records at Go Daddy to point to your Weebly subdomain (don't panic. It's really not difficult).

I just did a quick domain name search to see what permutation of your Weebly subdomain might be available. I searched for holidaysinspain dot com, which Go Daddy told me isn't available. Guess what it offered me as an alternative? (Jimbo, you'll like this ...) Holiday Sin Spain dot com :lol: And - wait for it - Holiday Vice Spain dot com!

What IS available is holidays-in-spain dot co dot uk, which would work for you if your main market is people in the UK; that'll cost you less than 7 euros a year. Doesn't that look better with the hyphens? :) Or you might want to pick something else altogether.

Weebly has a tutorial which will talk you through pointing your own domain name: here's the Go Daddy one: http://kb.weebly.com/godaddy-domain.html. It really is simple, and as long as you follow the steps they give you you can't go wrong. You can of course register domain names through other web sites, but I've suggested Go Daddy because (a) they're competitively priced, and (b) there's a dedicated Weebly tutorial.

If you stay with a free Weebly account you can't remove the 'Create a free site with Weebly' thing at the bottom. To do that you need to upgrade to a 'pro' account, which isn't expensive and would make your site appear much more professional.

Hope that's helpful. Come back if it's not clear.
caboroig

Post by caboroig »

i'll do that french cricket...i am going to set some time aside to do some much needed work on it :) i appreciate all your help and when i get to the go daddy bit...i am sure i'll be asking for help...thank you all very much for your constructive critisim :D be back shortly ...in the mean time anyone has anymore feel free...i will take it all on board :)
donafe

Post by donafe »

caboroig,

definitely go for your own domain name - keep it short and easy to remember. dot Com is probably your best choice.

I noticed you have some nice reviews but you tried hard to make sure that no one will find them :-) I would swap "How to get there" with "Reviews". It should help to build a good impression and encourage visitor to explore your site more - and if they want to know "How to get it" - they will find that page.

Other than that - it's a good starting point!
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

I think you need more pictures of the inside of the apartment, so one can get a feeling of how it is to come in and stay there. You also need some some from the balcony looking out.
If you can get pictures with the sea showing, flaunt them!

I would also make sure that it is in plain view how to contact you. Now it is hidden and might put someone off if they can't find it under more.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
caboroig

Post by caboroig »

thank you everyone... i am working on it all so keep it coming.... i tried the getting domain to go with weebly...but as i knew... i couldn't do it...always happens i follow steps but it doesn't happen for me...i suppose some of us are just not meant to understand :roll: so i have someone going to help me with that... i remember we put blinds down as it was sunny and with camera couldn't get a good shot without a glare...going back in april so will take better internal pics and more of them.... any other help keep it coming i appreciate it all :) :D
katz

Post by katz »

Initial thoughts:

- why don't you have a picture of the actual apartment on your home page?
- you gallery pictures need titles so people know what they are looking at
- the apartment facilities page needs pictures of the inside of the apartment

Overall I found it informative and easy to navigate.

katz