Snowy Scenes

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Snowy Scenes

Post by Sue Dyer »

Following a topic in another catagory, by request of Paolo for you soft southerners, here's a reminder of what snow looks like. We're due a fall in the hills on the Scottish Borders this weekend... These shots are from a real heavy downfall this February.

Cheviot Hills

Another Snowy Scene (me looking 2 stone heavier in ski gear!)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Beautiful. You can hear the hush. And no blocks of flats or shopping precincts in sight. I'm living in the wrong place!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Well - we didn't get the promised snow this weekend but it was -2c last night.... mighty, mighty cold. My husband says he's never seen me move so fast when we walked up to the village pub :)
Darren

Post by Darren »

Nice pictures soodyer! It's snowed here in Yorkshire this weekend, and it's very cold!

I went to do some walking over Ilkley moor this morning and my fingers felt like they were dropping off! :D

This is a picture of the view from the top of the moor.

Darren
tansy

Post by tansy »

I'm disappointed guys you didn't put this under my weather warning topic!! We were at a wedding here in France - the coldest we got was +8 at 3 p.m. then at 8 p.m. we were back up to +12 ...we haven't even taken our geraniums in yet...but I'm torn - the excitement of snow!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Darren - that looks great. I prefer walking in the winter as it's too hot in summer and busier. I went to the French Alps for 5 years running (Couchevel 1850) and quickly realised skiing wasn't for me. I did however, discover snowshoes on a guided walk. I loved it so bought my own, used to catch the lift up the mountains then just walk down the side of the piste. I used to see the scenery, hear the birds etc unlike the skiers who were flying past me.

We unfortunately hadn't taken the snowshoes out this Feb but certainly could have done with them!

Tansy - have some of our wintry weather, please!! It was so hard to go back out in the cold tonight for my evening class (bookbinding) and leave the fireside!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Darren, that is a lovely picture. I hope you don't spend all day stuck in front of a computer when you live somewhere like that.

Sue, this may be age encroaching, but I have to say the last time I went to a ski resort, I actually preferred walking through the forest to skiing - especially at night after too much dinner.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Darren

Post by Darren »

Soodyer, I've tried skiing it was great fun, shame I spent most of the time sat in the snow! I want to try snowboarding, maybe next Winter.

Paolo, unfortunately, I seem to spend more time at the moment in front of this PC than I do in bed or walking on the moors! It was great to get some fresh air this Sunday though .. and then we had beef roast dinner with veg and yorkshire puddings.. yum! :D
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Paolo
Sue, this may be age encroaching, but I have to say the last time I went to a ski resort, I actually preferred walking through the forest to skiing - especially at night after too much dinner

That's exactly why I like snowshoe walking. You can get lots of places (i.e forests/lakes) that skiers can't.

I'll confess about my terrible skiing experience. First very humiliating day when I was left in the "dunces" group and the French ski teacher made no secret of the fact she wasn't happy to be dumped with us. She spent so much time telling me how the British were fat and lazy and didn't try... Second day I cried at breakfast as I didn't want to turn up. I did and lasted around 15 minutes before falling over and being yelled at again. I'd had enough so told her I was quitting and my hand hurt.. more abuse (and some back from me..) Anyway, I'd broken my wrist so spent a lovely week walking/chair lifting around free from abuse and humiliation AND I got all of my ski hire, lessons and ski pass money back from travel insurance :)