Advert review please!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
riley

Post by riley »

Thanks! Yes, I've already agreed the kitchen table photo doesn't work. The buffet in the background is a large piece of furniture, looking like a matchbox! The meadow photo is more difficult because it's not easy to photo the deer; but you're right, perhaps I shouldn't get hung up on deer photos, & just take a decent landscape picture, but I need to wait a while for things to turn green.
The border collie lives in the chateau.
CSE

Post by CSE »

The Deer: I don't wish to boast; but sometimes you get lucky.

Good things comes to those that wait. :wink:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
riley

Post by riley »

Like it! Looks like a young one; curiosity overcoming flight mode. Of course, having the dog with us doesn't help, even though he doesn't chase them.
CSE

Post by CSE »

even though he doesn't chase them.
What is his name Fenton? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

One of the problems with photo galleries on listing sites is that they squeeze your pictures into a rigid format size, whilst most photos show their best qualities after having been cropped (just look at an imaginative magazine layout to see this done to perfection). There’s nothing magical about the format that your camera delivers, often a picture can be immeasurably strengthened by removing the unwanted detail. Such an elegant and beautifully proportioned property deserves no less respect from the photographer as that accorded by the architect.

I'm not convinced by the (mostly) interiors in the left hand gallery column and exteriors in the other. I can see why you've done this, but, as most of us read from left to right, it means that the viewer is forced to dodge about from inside to out. Far better (IMO) to have a narrative flow to your gallery - same as text.
Jim
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

It looks as though it has tremendous potential, but I don't think the photographs live up to the expectation.

Please don't look at mine, I still can't get the look I want, but yours seem to lack life and depth, I can't quite put my fnger on it, though it seems like a perpetually foggy day after the first 3-4. If that makes any sense.

They need to exude a bit more colour and life...

Sorry if that appears harsh

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
riley

Post by riley »

Fenton! Coincidentally we used to live fairly close to Richmond Park, so are familiar with the location of that "episode". Interestingly, we could walk pretty well right up to the deer, with our dog, off the lead (as always), & they'd be unconcerned. Obviously those are well used to humans around, but perhaps they've developed a sixth sense as to whether a particular dog is trouble or not.

Jimbo, you've probably guessed all the exterior shots were "old" ones taken without advertising in mind. They were the best choices that I had, though. Once the foliage starts developing green (which if I recall last year, should happen soon & fairly suddenly) & the sun is even brighter, I'll take more photos with the advert particularly in mind.

Glad you noticed the left/right-hand differences. I appreciate your thought on narrative, but as there are relatively few photos, I thought totally different photos paired would maintain interest, & hopefully even wow factor. Surely it's more compelling that way than say looking at one bedroom photo after another? If there were several pages of photos to go through, I think my scheme would indeed be messy & annoying, but I think it works here, where the pictures are scrolled through fairly quickly.

964kevin; I think the photos are absolutely key. Disappointed to hear what you say, but no, it's not harsh. You've given me some ideas of what to improve on. As explained to Jimbo, the exterior ones are the best available right now. The season needs to progress a bit, but a lot of tidying & gardening will be needed before I can really get down to taking hopefully seriously better ones. The advantage of a digital camera is you can click away happily....but, yes, I've noticed the picture quality can often deteriorate as the batteries go flat, especially with flash. I've had to discard brighter photos because the angle was wrong, the bed/beams/washstand/picture weren't in. I'll just have to keep trying!