how honest are you???

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
booboo

how honest are you???

Post by booboo »

I think that I am being too honest about the negative side of our place and putting people off. This is or first year and we are real newbies at this.
Our place is on the small side and we live in a very hilly region. To truly enjoy here you have to be fit or want to be fit or... sit and relax the whole time.

I tell guests this... resulting in them changing their minds.

Should I just shut up and let people make up their owns minds?
I just hate for people to be disappointed!

In saying, that it is a very beautiful place and all family and friends who have visited have loved it and have come back over and over again.
You would have to be mently ill not to feel the beauty of this place :D
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I think you are right to be up front and honest. If people are having second thoughts, it probably isn't the place for them. You don't want those people to come and stay, discover it's not right, and then post an online review.

That said, maybe don't over-emphasise the issue. Make the point by all means, but focus on the positives - the things you can do, rather than those that you can't.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

kendalcottages wrote:
That said, maybe don't over-emphasise the issue. Make the point by all means, but focus on the positives - the things you can do, rather than those that you can't.
I agree- it's important to be honest, but use it as a selling point. We emphasise that our apartment is in a quiet, residential complex, near a traditional Spanish village, perfect for a relaxing holiday. Anyone who is looking for busy nightlife, lots of English/Irish bars etc knows that our place is not for them!
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Martha

Post by Martha »

Completely agree with the above - look for a positive way to say what the house is ideal for. It looks like a lovely place, but having looked at the advert I did wonder why there was no external photo of the house - do you have a nice one you could put on?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I think that if someone wants to go to somewhere like this they will already have done their homework and so will know what to expect. Yes, it is "on the small side" but does that bother a couple coming on a remote holiday? I wouldn't have thought so. You say that the living/sleeping space has armchairs and a coffee table, perhaps you could add a photo of these, too? Maybe also list the surface area of the house and a the veranda area, this way you're being totally honest....

BTW, it looks charming, I would love the chance to visit.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If your place is on the small side why does your Holiday Rentals ad title say that it is spacious? Maybe a room plan may help give enquirers more idea of the space they will have.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I'm wondering this:

at what point are you "putting them off"? Is this after they have made an enquiry? In response to what questions? Why do you think it's the hills that is putting them off?

I only ask this, not to interrogate you but to try to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

In the meantime, I agree with everyone else...there are ways of indicating who your place is suitable for without highlighting the negatives. It's like saying something like: "challenging and invigorating walking country" instead of "don't come here unless you've had a full healthcheck beforehand"
:D
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'm wondering the same things as Tavi. What exactly do you think is putting them off? Is it the size of your place? Something in the layout that's not clear on your ad? Or something else?

I think your place, and the area, look lovely, but before I booked - and it's the kind of place I'd be interested in staying in - I'd want to see a picture of the outside (not just the front door), another one of the sitting area (how comfortable is it as a place to flop after a day's walking in all those lovely hills? :D I've stayed in cottages and gites with just a bed and a dining table and chairs and it just doesn't cut it for me. I need to slob!) and maybe to have a concrete idea of the actual size in m2. I think I'd be a bit confused between your use of the word 'spacious' in your listing heading, and you then telling me (if indeed you do) that it's 'on the small side' :?

I find it hard to believe that it's the hills that put people off - or rather if it is, maybe you're not reaching the right people! There are several of us here who have properties in hilly and mountainous areas - I'm one of them, and it's a selling point, not a negative - it's what most people come for. So for my money you need to be talking it up, not apologising for it!

PS I've just 'liked' you on Facebook. Fancy reciprocating? :lol:
aasta

Post by aasta »

hello! Best to be honest and find those folks looking for a rural retreat . We are in a hilly, rural location. We have put this on our website adding such words as peaceful, relaxing etc. We find that our guests are looking for this type of place.

Have you tried listing with sites such as www.worldwalks.com Folks booking through them, and like themed sites - there are alot of these sites, are walkers.

We have moved into our smallest room ourselves and turned our former quarters into a spacious guestroom. And for our next smallest room, we state the square meters. and describe the room as a small comfortable single or a cozy small double. Since this room costs less than the others it is booked frequently. I remind inquiring guests of its smallness when I respond to their booking request. This helps avoid disatisfaction. And thankfully it is large enough to have two small armchairs and a table and tea station.
aasta
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I think your property looks delightful and definitely the sort of place I would choose to book.

If there is anyway you could add a photo of the easy chairs and coffee table that would help. At a quick glance it looks to me as though there is no relaxed seating area inside but there is plenty of space on the terrace with the wonderful views so emphasise that. "Sit outside on the terrace, enjoy the peace and quiet and relax with a chilled glass of wine". Or similar words.
Would it be possible to put a couple of easy chairs on the terrace?

Your H-R. advertisement does give the size.

On your FB page you need to correct the spelling of accommodation, two x c and 2 x m are required.

Good luck and may plenty of good rentals come your way.
Fleur
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Whilst on the subject of spelling... aasta... on your page here - http://www.colinaflora.com/rose.html - you have a link that says "LILLY" rather than "LILY". (Mentioned to be helpful, not to criticise!)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
booboo

Post by booboo »

Hi and thank you all for your response, I have found it very helpful :)
I will try to answer all your questions.

The feedback we have been given from couples staying her, (family and friends) say the inside is a ok size. There is no way we could get anything else in there.
Nobody has yet cooked any big meals inside, everyone likes to cook, sit and eat outside on the veranda.

We call it spacious so people dont get the impression of it being cramped, because its not.

We dont have a photo of the whole house as its guite large and is has three floors, (dont want guests to think thats what they're getting). We are waiting for the trees to come into leaf, so that photos then taken from a certain angle will make it look more in proportion to what they are getting, if that makes sense.

Will take on board photos of armchairs!( my neice and her fella staying there at mo).

Comfey chairs outside is a great idea or maybe a comfey swing chair?

Will correct all spelling errors etc on HR and FB, big thankyou for that!

We have had enquires stating they have chrildren and is there any room for a sofa-bed? We answer that its too small.

I have an elderly parent who would need her private space and who likes walk around so I mentioned the steepness of the hills, to be honest to her, but on reflection thought this might have put them off.

Super feedback, keep it coming please and thanks so much.
Una
aasta

Post by aasta »

Thanks, we know and tried to correct that and the system did not let us... ..will try again....
aasta
booboo

Post by booboo »

Hi aasta, I can't see where abouts the C and D is missing in the word accommodation on my FB page?
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

booboo wrote:Hi aasta, I can't see where abouts the C and D is missing in the word accommodation on my FB page?
ooh! by some miracle your F.B. page seems to have corrected the problem. :wink:
Fleur