Which Camera?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

HelenB wrote:Caroline, that doesn't have a viewfinder which the G3 does, that was important for me esp when taking photos in sunlight on snow, it is difficult to see the display clearly.
Couldn't agree more - I just wouldn't have a camera without a viewfinder - I was trying to take photos with my iTouch last week and I just couldn't see a thing - and that was in England.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

CarolineH wrote:However I have found that in order to photograph one end of the room I need to be placed at the opposing end - so have thought that a tripod would not be useful - perhaps (probably) I'm wrong here.
You want the tripod where-ever you situate yourself, because no human can hold a camera as steady as an inanimate object can, and the steadier the camera the sharper the image, especially in the lower light of interiors (compared to bright sunlight outdoors).
CarolineH wrote: Aargh - now help I thought that bigger was better - why is 20mm better than 24mm??
The focal length of the lens is inversely proportional to the field of view -- so shorter lens means a wider angle of view, which means you can see more of your room.

The tradeoff is that you can get more "distortion" of the image the shorter the lens gets, with a "fisheye" effect at the extreme (but 180° field of view!).
Ju

Post by Ju »

My Daughter has been saving for a new camera and is going to buy one of these:

nikon

Which I think is excellent for the price.

I am hankering after a canon EOs and a seperate 10-20mm lens, but the whole package comes to about 1000€ and I'm not yet able to show it is worth it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Lucky girl, Ju!

My grandaughter, aged 8, is having great fun with a 35mm Pentax SLR - her Dad rejuvenates old film-based SLRs as a hobby and the Pentax is her pride and joy.

(Actually, I think I might give him my Canon F1 to play with, rather than hire an extra truck to transport it down to France - it does weigh in a bit heftily! :lol: )

Mols
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Hmmm, that's made me think a bit. The Panasonic doesn't have a flash and I would like to use it as a personal camera, too - or am I being naïve trying to get everything into a single package?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

My Panasonic has a flash :)
Are you looking for a compact or a reflex camera?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

la vache! wrote:My Panasonic has a flash :)
Are you looking for a compact or a reflex camera?
Thanks, LV, but they don't sell yours anymore unless you're offering to lend it to me :wink:

I don't really know what I'm looking for - just something that will take good room shots, but whilst I'm at it something that I can use generally as well.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You are welcome to borrow mine if you like :wink:
If you want a wider lens than 24, you will have to go for a reflex I think, which pushes you into the 600€+ bracket. But maybe worth it if you are doing all your own shots?
Personally I don't like really wide angle lens as it makes rooms look much bigger than they are. I'd hate guests to arrive here and think I'd misled them about the size of the rooms.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Which is why I don't like the fisheye effect that my apartment manager is wanting to have taken. As I will be paying part of the cost, and will be able to use the shots for my own website etc, I want some say in it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I was so determined not to employ a wide angle lens that on my publicity and website shots I only used a 50 mm (ie standard view). I didn't want to exaggerate or distort anything.

I have to say, it was a real struggle, but at least I could rest easy that our guests had the benefit of "wysiwyg"!

Mols
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

What do we think about this one Only 25mm lens, but it's got the flash and loads of good reviews - see the notes in the views icons - is that you Jimbo?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My son has an earlier model. He is quite pleased with it , but wishes now that he could change the lens.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Moliere wrote:I was so determined not to employ a wide angle lens that on my publicity and website shots I only used a 50 mm (ie standard view). I didn't want to exaggerate or distort anything.

I have to say, it was a real struggle, but at least I could rest easy that our guests had the benefit of "wysiwyg"!
JUDGE: Mr Defence Counsel, your client is charged with the serious crime of deliberately using wide angle lenses to deceive the public and thereby to gain pecuniary advantage in so doing. How do you plead?

DEFENCE COUNSEL:
M’lud, my client has been a professional photographer for 35 years and regards photographic lenses as the tools of his trade to present his clients’ properties to their best advantage. He finds it odd that the same gite owners who criticise the use of wide angle lenses to enhance a property’s attraction, go to great lengths to shoot pictures of their property in optimum conditions – by choosing a viewpoint that avoids showing unsightly power lines, in brilliant sunshine (when that’s not always going to be present) or with flowers in full bloom (that may be over when guests arrive) and so on. However, my client is generous and doesn’t regard such ‘enhancement’ as evil trickery by wicked gite owners because he knows that viewing audiences are visually sophisticated people who fully understand that the role of advertising is to present a polished image of a product (indeed, he believes that we imbibe such knowledge with our mother’s milk). Just as they can look at the picture below, shot on a 14mm extreme wide angle lens, which shows the ground floor area of a gite, and know that the chairs in the foreground weren’t designed for Nellie the Elephant or the roses in the vase aren’t the size of a Brazilian rainforest.

M’lud, my client has every confidence that the jury will clear him of this misguided accusation.

Jim
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Most amusing Jim, but you're a pro - your experience will enable you to convey the image you want without misleading anyone. I'm just an amateur.

Mols
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Jim, I have no objection to the wide angle lens, it is the fish eye one that I don't like.