Sofa choice? Advice needed!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Gemmyw

Sofa choice? Advice needed!

Post by Gemmyw »

Hi all,

I am looking to holiday let my home on the Isle of Wight. It is a small 2 bed semi stone cottage, and I have at the moment a beautiful victorian drop end sofa that I had receovered in a modern Teal floral fabric, it looks stunning in the room but I'm worried about leaving it in there because it would be easily ruined if I let it out. does anyone have any recommendations or experience? Do people renting out a house rather than long term lets really treat things better? I want to stick with my modern/traditional furniture really because it goes with the house and makes it all look more appealing but I'm aware I have to be practical too! Whats the best thing to do?
Thanks
Gemma
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Hi Gemmy

A lot of us use Erktop sofas from Ikea because they have a 10 year guarantee (I think) very comfortable, can buy extra covers and it is one of their standards so very replaceable too. Of course it will depend on your taste and furnishings but you don't seem to have a link to your site so difficult to know.

If you do a search there was a topic about having sofas made for individual spaces and they were very reasonably priced. Perhaps Ros or Nemo will happen along here with the link to the topic in question.

Good luck.
Gemmyw

Post by Gemmyw »

Hi thanks for the advice, I haven't got a website up yet! I want to hold off until I get the interior sorted and then take good photos.
At the moment most of the things in the house are traditional with modern elements which I like but am aware I might need to change that a bit. I'll keep my eye on this and see if anyone else has any advice.

Thanks again

Gemma
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I would say it is a risk leaving it in. Sadly one of the things you have to learn to compromise on is the furnishings you'd like to put in and the ones that will stand up to wear and tear.

We rent out our villa for 16wks a year and live in it the rest of the time...so I know all about compromise :(

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Hi,
It's hard to say without photos but have you considered having a slip cover made for your current sofa maybe with some sort of protective padded backing? This might let you keep it in place and have it for your own use when you stay. I had made to measure slip covers done for reasonable cost by covermyfurniture.com
I paid a bit extra to have someone come out to measure everything as I didn't trust myself to do it and it worked out great.

But as a renter I would prefer comfort over beauty if I can't have both so if it's more pretty than comfortable I would change it out.
Gemmyw

Post by Gemmyw »

Thanks all for the advice, I'll look at slip covers maybe thats the best way to go, best of both worlds!
Many thanks again
Gemma