CGI?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Maurmc

CGI?

Post by Maurmc »

I am fairly clueless about computers- very basic use only!

A pop-up keeps appearing on my PC this evening- Microsoft Windows- saying that "CGI/Fast CGI has stopped working"

Just wondering what is this & do I need to do anything?

Thanks in advance!
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

I'm bumping this up again in case anyone who could help missed it!

The computer hasn't blown up or anything crazy like that, but it is most annoying. 6/7 windows pop ups appear when computer is switched on. Once I minimise them, it's fine, but if I close them they re appear.
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
CSE

Post by CSE »

I do not have a clue so looked it up. it seems it happens the most when running PHP flies on your PC.
You do not say which version of windoz you are using but this information is for Vista/7
http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.iis7.php
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Thanks, I don't know what it means, but I'll follow the steps here & see what happens! (I have Vista)

what are PHP files? :oops:

Apartment Mil Palmeras
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Maurmc wrote:what are PHP files? :oops:
Absolutely no need to be embarrassed to ask that one.

PHP files are files used in the development of advanced websites. Given your question, its very unlikely that you would run them on your local machine, and even more unlikely that you would want to run Microsoft IIs, but obviously "something" has decided to make this run and is requesting fast CGI and I'm afraid its very hard to find out what that may be or how to disable it.

I'm afraid it sounds like a visit to your local PC doctor.

You could continue to just ignore it, but my fear is that the "something" that kicked this off may be malicious.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

Sorry I made an assumption. I thought you was working on your website(s).
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.