Sand or glass for pool filter?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
MiniMum

Sand or glass for pool filter?

Post by MiniMum »

We need to have the sand replaced in our pool filter and the people who look after the pool have suggested we change to glass. Although it is initially more expensive, glass needs replacing less often and is apparently more effecient. I would be grateful if anyone who has used glass could give me their comments. Many thanks.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Never heard of glass as a filter, we use Zeolite which we were told was the current 'most efficient', however current was 5 years ago.........
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

hi, I look after a few pools & have changed the sand in the filters 10 times now. I have never heard of glass or anything other than sand.

Sand usually lasts at least 5 years & I only do it if something else needs doing as its a messy job, like swapping sand filter for eg.

Hope it helps
brendan

Post by brendan »

Stick with sand........there's a load of nonsense out there about silicone and blah de blah. Sand is very effective (pool standard)....if your pool is run and maintained properly you should have to do nothing except top up the sand now and then (every couple of years).

All of the above is based on the premise that your pool is maintained properly and working at an optimal level.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We have looked at the glass option, but the cost is about 4 times that of sand, at least. At the moment we are swaying towards sticking with sand.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

A related question ...

How do you know when the sand in your filter needs replacing?
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

Yes, I'd like to know that too. I was told every 3-4 years when the pool was installed, but I have heard some people say it could be longer than that.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

CarolineH Wrote
How do you know when the sand in your filter needs replacing?
I think the sand grains become round and dont capture the particals of dirt as well.
I replace my sand this season because last year I seem to use a lot more floculant than in previous years, it was the first change in 9 seasons since the pool was installed. I look at glass it seem too expensive maybe it will come down in price for the next change.