Finance Risk v Playing safe

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.

One bed Yes - Two bed No

Poll ended at Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm

yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I see you have two threads running, so I would ask Paolo to merge them into one so it doesn't get confusing. I've posted on the other one already.

I see reading above that everyone has already mentioned the sofa bed which would be my choice as well.

If you're going to be using it yourself then you will obviously lose income during those periods, so therefore it makes sense to keep your overheads lower. Otherwise higher overheads = owner bookings = higher loss of income if you understand me.

It's nice to see you are thinking ahead for your daughter, because you're right; if you want to keep really regular contact, you need a base where she can stay but still keep up with her life and activities on her weekends with you.

I think the choice is clear!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Nemo wrote:I see you have two threads running, so I would ask Paolo to merge them into one so it doesn't get confusing. I've posted on the other one already.
Redfox wrote:Come on everyone dont be shy im looking for some advice a little feedback.

Cheers
Rob
Rob, I hope you're happy with the quantity of feedback you've had on both threads. I'm sure it will keep coming, but if you post and have to wait a little while, it's par for the course and may have something to do with others being at work ... Some of my threads have sunk without trace! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
tavi

Post by tavi »

Sounds like you are on the right track Red, and what a great idea to have a little place near your daughter.

Let us know how the viewing goes tomorrow?
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Well went to view the One bed ground floor flat and it did tick most of the boxes as a possible rental property. Good location, rooms were just about big enough. In fact its probably the best ive seen as a whole bundle. Garden does go down to the stream which is a pretty big stream and as I was shown through the patio dodrs there were 2 Mallard ducks just sitting there. There is a small patio area which would just about be big enough for a small table and maybe 3 chairs. Patio needs lifting and relaying completly and maybe a trellis or something to act as a screen.

Now being realistic there were a couple of things that it lacked. Kitchen was through an arch from the living room and is very small. Enough room for fridge & washing machine and cooker but nothing else.

Bedroom was a decent sized double and bathroom was ok too but needed completly redone, had been used as a wetroom but looks awful. If I were re-doing it guess better to have a bath with shower over.

Pictures make it look fresher and cleaner than it is whole place needs spruced up including new bathroom and tiling and fire place and surround. Its an old property like many in that area so was a little dark inside too but not too bad. Pictures on website only show back but it has its own front door and it is straight out on to the street, parking is very ltd but there is a carpark 50 metres away.

Could easily see me spending 5k in there and a lot of hours decorating.

Now the lady that showed me round was the mother of the owner. The owner has MS and is in hospital at the moment, it was hard work putting any points over to her she did not seem to register that it is a buyers market at the moment or that I was not in any chain.

When I asked if she would be open to offers she seemed very suprised that id asked, didnt take it any further. Probably go back for second viewing but dont think id pay more than 81-82 like to pay 79 :) Like I said lot of work and 5k is probably being generous.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Redfox, sounds like a doable rental, when I've rented European apts the kitchens are generally small but since I'm out all day and only are there for breakfast and snacks... it doesn't put me off. Don't know if your guests will be there for longer periods than a week or if they will be like me and out all day touring the sites.

We are in the middle of a huge remodel of a condo we just bought at a good price and of course it is taking longer to remodel as we are 3 hours away and it's hard to continually drive back and forth... so you might want to keep in mind that these things always take longer than expected :D

Sounds like a lot of pros and some cons, it will only be worth it if you get it for the price you want and can still afford to do your remodel and not get in a bind... the mom may be surprised but the facts are what the facts are :shock: ... my husband is very good at adding up what remodels cost and we are on track to spend what he thought, so stick to your financial plan.

I do think it sounds like a winner with the stream at the foot of the yard, that would be a big selling point and I think you'd be able to play that up very well, pics on the website of the ducks, pretty flowers in the garden, etc...

I look forward to hearing what you decide, I know its a hard decision!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

The only thing that is ringing a bell for me is the stream. I wouldn't want to have kids and a stream in the same area particularly. One of my kids fell in the river when she was 2 and it haunts me a bit. So if I were marketing it I would be marketing it as a one bedroom - for adult couples possibly with a baby, but I would be uncomfortable about having a kid (yours) there. It means you will have to know where she is at all times if you understand what I am getting at.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Wallypott, I can appreciate where you're coming from but isn't a stream the same as a swimming pool in terms of risk? I think I would be marketing it as sleeps 2 - 4, and leaving it at that. :)
tavi

Post by tavi »

Looks to me like a good prospect.

The important stuff is there: Own front door, stream in garden, south-facing, good basic layout, five minutes walk to the town. These are major boxes ticked i.e. KEY marketing points for when you start renting it, and they are what makes this property a little special.

In fact the only cons are cosmetic and therefore manageable (with a few £'s of course!)

A small kitchen will make no difference to your guests (who will be mainly couples/small families?) as long as it's sparkling clean, and well equipped. Are the units/cupboards in good condition? I think the kitchen has its own window (from the property details)?

White walls throughout will make the whole place seem instantly brighter (from the pics, the decor seems to be big on deep colours!) Any place you buy is likely to need a coat of paint before letting...(and another one every year or two to keep it really tip-top!)

The bathroom, is it needing major replumbing - or only the addition of a bath...and repainting? Patio worth doing with that lovely outlook.

Will you be able to negotiate through the agent rather than direct with the seller's mother? (If you decide to go for it that is!)
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Hi all yes I did think about the stream and my daughter but not for long, I would never let her out of my sight if she was outside and the stream is probably a plus point.(flooding! have to see if I can get it insured)

Decor! yep needs a lot doing and guess if I got the place at the right price it might take a couple of months or longer. Bathroom will need plumbing and everthing basicaly there is just a shower and sink.

Walls are deep colours so will probably need several coats and those walls are high :)

Kitchen is clean and would be fine, flooring probably go for laminate except for Bedroom.

Deafinatly will be going back to view in 2 weeks delibratly leaving a gap if someone comes in and makes an offer before me so be it, Somehow doubt it though.

This particular estate agent is pure pants (they are awful) you would think there were a flood of buyers out there. I have viewed probably in the region of 7 properties with them some of them twice. I have had one call asking what I thought. Evertime I have called they always ask for my details you think they would have them on screen. Never had them email or ring me about a new property on the market within my range either.

I was honestly going to complain last time I was in they just dont seem interested at times. I dont want to bid initaly I will just ask the agent to ask the vendor what is the lowest they will take. I work off that what ever they come back with even if good I will say "oh I was thinking more of x amount".

Somehow I think this may be hard work probably will try and buy it if my second viewing goes ok but like I said only be happy with 8-10% off.

Thanks for your input all.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Hi all yes I did think about the stream and my daughter but not for long, I would never let her out of my sight if she was outside and the stream is probably a plus point.(flooding! have to see if I can get it insured)

Decor! yep needs a lot doing and guess if I got the place at the right price it might take a couple of months or longer. Bathroom will need plumbing and everthing basicaly there is just a shower and sink.

Walls are deep colours so will probably need several coats and those walls are high :)

Kitchen is clean and would be fine, flooring probably go for laminate except for Bedroom.

Deafinatly will be going back to view in 2 weeks delibratly leaving a gap if someone comes in and makes an offer before me so be it, Somehow doubt it though.

This particular estate agent is pure pants (they are awful) you would think there were a flood of buyers out there. I have viewed probably in the region of 7 properties with them some of them twice. I have had one call asking what I thought. Evertime I have called they always ask for my details you think they would have them on screen. Never had them email or ring me about a new property on the market within my range either.

I was honestly going to complain last time I was in they just dont seem interested at times. I dont want to bid initaly I will just ask the agent to ask the vendor what is the lowest they will take. I work off that what ever they come back with even if good I will say "oh I was thinking more of x amount".

Somehow I think this may be hard work probably will try and buy it if my second viewing goes ok but like I said only be happy with 8-10% off.

Thanks for your input all.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Giddy Goat wrote:Wallypott, I can appreciate where you're coming from but isn't a stream the same as a swimming pool in terms of risk? I think I would be marketing it as sleeps 2 - 4, and leaving it at that. :)
The same in terms of risk more or less, although no one ever got washed down swimming pool! But your pool has a cover, fence, alarm etc.

I just know as a single parent that I do NOT know where my kids are all the time. And even when I think I know where they are and what they are doing, view the chaos they create, I clearly don't.

Even when my ex was here my 16 month old toddler was found on the road making her way up to the village and she had walked up the drive in plain view of 8 adults and not one of us saw her.

However, in marketing terms I think the stream is a plus. But if it is parents and kids they would need to be aware that there is a risk.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I think we're in agreement Wallypott. As with pools, the risk is there whenever a cover is open, or a pool alarm is not set; we've had this debate on other threads, and the consensus is that parents still have to behave responsibly. If you were a parent on holiday in a tiny apartment with a stream at the bottom of the garden, you would make sure I know, that you were always aware of the whereabouts of your small child/children and only allow them in the garden when you were there yourself.

If Redfox goes ahead and buys this property, he will be describing the stream as a selling point; it is down to parents to assess the risk if they see it as such, and either book or find somewhere else.

Btw, I owe my brother in law much gratitude as when Ron was 10, the family was on a picnic in a busy and popular area with much going on. His parents were distracted momentarily and in that brief moment he slipped and fell into the stream. It was his (older) swimmer sibling who managed to haul him out, and just in the nick of time.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

wallypott wrote:The only thing that is ringing a bell for me is the stream. I wouldn't want to have kids and a stream in the same area particularly. One of my kids fell in the river when she was 2 and it haunts me a bit. So if I were marketing it I would be marketing it as a one bedroom - for adult couples possibly with a baby ...
Which - at a stroke - would put us out of business. We have a pooh-sticks stream running the length of our property. Fed from an underground source, it's generally shallow and sluggish but, in times of high rainfall, can pick up pace. We control the flow and depth, if necessary, with sluice gates.

Some guests query the presence of the stream but I can't recall anybody subsequently not booking because of it. In our 16 acres of private grounds, we have trees that can be climbed and fallen from, poisonous plants that could be eaten, wild animals in the surrounding woods, ticks that might carry Lyme disease (I'm currently on antibiotics following an infected insect bite), two types of hornets ... Where do you stop?

It's impossible to have zero risk. Fortunately, our visiting parents usually come with a big helping of common sense.
Jim
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Sorry, this is going to be a total side track.

Jimbo & GG I completely agree and when I was growing up no-one new where any of us were - 6 kids on a farm. We weren't allowed in the house during the day except for meals. I honestly don't know how we all got to be adults! I poisoned myself twice.

I have one child who gets lost and into danger a lot. It doesn't seem to be possible to stop it happening for some reason. We have put in place a lot of security with her - she knows my number, knows she should stay put (but never does when panicking), knows to ask another mummy for help, or go to the cashier, security guard etc.

She has fallen in the river, twice - once strapped into her pram (father failed to put on the brakes - the Strasbourg Canal), hidden in the cupboards in Ikea, left me sitting on the loo in a vast shopping centre (in Spain) and along with her slightly older sister disappeared into the main aisle, disappeared in our local Saturday market (which is a pretty large affair), got out of the car when I had stopped, at a junction of 4 roads (in a quiet village), to take a photo and completely vanished within 30 seconds - it turned out she was in the church, but it wasn't obvious. And these are just the disasters that come to mind.

So in all honesty with a child like this I would not be booking a property with a stream in the garden. Whereas I wouldn't worry for some reason about Jim's place. I think it is the fact the stream in the garden is such a focus. I appreciate other people don't have children quite like mine, and are probably far better parents than I.

From what others have said there is a real market for couples, pre & post kids, so I think that is where I would focus my marketing efforts.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Well the stream may be the thing that kills it! Did a little research today and its in a flood risk area :( Looked up a few insurance companies for online qoutes and they all say give us a call cannot qoute.

Ended up looking on google for tips etc and all seems to point to the same thing. Global warming and risk getting bigger all the time.

Suppose I could use it as tool for a discount but who in there right mind would knowingly buy a property in a flood risk zone.

I am sure insurance qoutes will be high if I can get insured that is and maybe you can get it this year or even in 5 years but what about 10?

you gotta laugh. :D