Should I drive for 40 mins to check if fridge door is closed

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>

Should I drive for 40 minutes to check if I've left the fridge door ajar?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:16 am

yes
36%
no
64%

Total votes: 11

tavi

Should I drive for 40 mins to check if fridge door is closed

Post by tavi »

I turned the electrics off yesterday (still not sure if it's more or less economical to do this but that's another thread) as the apartment is vacant til next Thursday.

Now have a ghastly feeling I left the fridge door closed. :roll:

Should I drive over there to check? - 40 minutes each way.

Will it be stained with black mould if I don't? Will it stink to high heaven when the next guests arrive?
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

No - if it's only a week then you should be ok.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I accidently left ours shut at Easter. (I was videoing just before we left and forgot to re-open it when we left). Only a 2 week gap until guests arrived, but got a ticking off from my manager a week later when she went in to prepare the housel
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think you should be OK but if it does stink a bit, put an opened pot of sodium bicarbonate in there to absorb the smells, at least for a few hours.

I think I would drive back there myself though, and try to think of some other useful things to do to make my journey worthwhile.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Advice given to me by a refridgeration engineer was not to switch off a fridge for lengthy periods. Does more long term harm than good, apparently.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
tavi

Post by tavi »

ooh good, 60% don't think I need to go back :D (really don't have the time, not to mention the cost of petrol!)

thanks Felicity and Marks for the advice, too.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Marks wrote:Advice given to me by a refridgeration engineer was not to switch off a fridge for lengthy periods. Does more long term harm than good, apparently.
Yes, that advice was also given to me, so in the winter the fridge is always left on.

The ice dispenser is a problem though as when not in use it forms one big block and I have to call the guy in to deal with it as the ice box is almost impossible for me to remove :cry:
brenda

Post by brenda »

We went away on 4 May with our last guests leaving that morning - we let them stay on in teh room / use the pool after we left as they couldn´t get into their next accommodation until later that day.

Unfortunately the gursts decided to unplug the fridge leaving the door closed - when we got back a week late the fridge was decidedly mouldy and took ages to get clean.

So, sadly, yes I would say go back despite the lengthy drive.
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

Unfortunately I have seen a fridge go 'black' within less than a week so (probably too late now i know), my vote would have been to make the drive.
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
tavi

Post by tavi »

oh gawd.

will be going over there Thursday am. (one week later :shock: :? )

argh - what am I going to find?
pambon

Post by pambon »

I think the outside temperature may play a part. In a cool climate like the UK I possibily wouldn't be too bothered, but over here I would probably make the drive.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

tavi wrote: argh - what am I going to find?
Well, with a bit of luck, Tavi, all will be well :) if not, your second choice would be that the fridge has escaped out of the door and is now 5 kms away and somebody else's problem!

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Yes pambom, the outside temperature is around 32 - 34 this week.

That's what's worrying me :cry:

Thanks Mol for the sympathy.

With what should I arm myself when I go? For cleaning I mean.

Bearing in mind there's a very nice couple arriving on Friday.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Bleach for the mold, and then I like to leave an opened container of baking soda in the refrigerator to keep smells away...

Hope all is well!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Maybe you will get there, Tavi, and discover that you left the door open after all! Positive thinking! At least you have a day for the smell to dissipate.