Sample of flyer?

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
dublin13

Sample of flyer?

Post by dublin13 »

Thinking of doing up some flyers and dropping around areas nearby me. does anyone have a sample of a flyer they may have done in the past. even better if you dont have your own web site and use a listing site. I need to advertise 3 places that are listed on OD and in a dead end as how to design and layout my flyer
Windy

Post by Windy »

Not exactly a flier but I have a brochure you can take a look at if it's any use

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

If you have Microsoft Publisher you can always start with one of the templates and adapt that. I had one of the 3 fold brochures which worked well.
Windy

Post by Windy »

That's what I did Sue.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

And me, I love Publisher! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
dublin13

Post by dublin13 »

i have a package that i used alot to design flyers, business cards and print ads for my business so that part is ok. im just stuck on how to word a flyer for 3 properties and the OD links in them.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I'm thinking of producing a few A4 size ads to laminate and put in local shop windows (Being in a 'villagy area' local shops allow more than just the postcard size ad) and as I don't have Microsoft Publisher and don't particularly want to pay for it, does anyone have any suggestions as to what 'free software' I might be able to get my hands on, to be able to design and print off a few copies of an ad ?

I'm not looking to produce anything too fancy - just the ability to be able to include a few colour pics on a coloured background and obviously descriptive text !
Ray
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Most word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word) allows you to include images. Controls over size and placement are rather rudimentary, but you can probably do what you need to do with something like that.

Another alternative is Microsoft Powerpoint -- intended for make presentation slides, but I know a lot of people who use it as a graphic design / layout platform for posters and the like -- it is usually included in the Microsoft Office suite along with Word and Excel, which maybe you already have (it is often bundled with the computer)?
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Thanks harborfields.

Unfortunately I don't have word or powerpoint (I have microsoft works). There are templates included for all sorts of things, but doesn't look like you can edit the templates too much.

My main objective is to be able to produce something with a coloured background, text and photos :?
Ray
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

It's been decades(?) since I've worked with MS Works, but surely it has some capability to place images and text together on a page, whether in the word processing module or the drawing module?

Could the colored background be accomplished simply by printing out your flyers on colored paper?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I have the lovely Martha to thank for this: I've just started to work with Serif Page Plus free edition. It's free - well obviously! - to download and seems to be pretty sophisticated, at least to my bumbling eyes. There are templates and things or you can design from scratch. Much better than MS Publisher, which I used to use, but my edition dates back to the ark (it's a Win 98 edition :oops:).

Sounds just what you're looking for, Ray.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Thanks for the further suggestion H. Never thought about using coloured paper for the background, although not sure what effect that would have on the images.

FC (and of course Martha) I'm off to go download Serif Page Plus now and give it a whirl !

ta muchly :)
Ray
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Another Serif Page Plus user here.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Well I've spent most of the day playing around with Serif page plus and I've knocked up an A4 size ad for the local newsagents etc, which kinda looks OK.

The only thing I couldn't figure out (which I'm sure was staring me right in the face) was how to change the background colour of the page :?
Ray
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Ray, I'm not sure you can (though I could be wrong. It does happen, occasionally :lol:). And I'm not completely sure that it would be totally useful - you're going to use an awful lot of ink. I'd go with Harborfield's suggestion of using coloured paper. That's what I've always done, in any case. Photos have printed fine, though I guess it depends what colour you're thinking about.