Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Google Places HELP!

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moira

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Google Places HELP! Reply with quote

Hi, I have three apartments all within the same city and I'm trying to get Google to show the location for them all. I'm listed on google places however only one location shows up. I've tried to add locations but cant find out how to do this other than through the bulk upload but you then need 10 locations.
Unfortuantely my guests tend to search on google rather than printing out the directions I send them so invariably they end up at the wrong apartment. Any advise would be great.
casasantoestevo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prevailing opinion, on this forum, is that unless you have a manager on site you cannot get Google places to register the actual location.

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
wallypott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't until I put the language in English GB rather than English American. I have now received my code for all 4 addresses. All my locations show, but I'm afraid I cannot explain why yours doesn't.
Moira

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently changed the language to English GB (after reading another useful thread here) which then gave me the correct categorisation. I've spent this morning looking through Google help but with not much luck. There are lots of people asking the same question but haven't found any answers yet. Did google send you a code?
golfing girl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sent a code from google and for a few months everything was OK. then for some reason , google decided they didn't like me and blocked me telling me I would have to reapply. I did . Nothing has happened since and I don't feature on google places, so I have given up!
Moira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to delete the listing I had and then re-do it to see if that would make a difference but I don't want to risk losing it totally. I'll just have to re-emphasis on the info I send out not to follow the google listing unless they are staying in that apartment but then getting people to actually read what I send them is the challenge. Smile
Harborfields

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if some of the problems people may be having with their Google Places listing might be because they are not in compliance with Google's terms of service? You can only get a Google Places listing for a vacation rental if you are an on-site owner and the physical/mailing address of where you conduct your business is the same as the property that you are trying to advertize.

From http://support.google.com/places/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=107528

Quote:
Only businesses that make in-person contact with customers qualify for a Google Places listing.
Rental or for sale properties, such as vacation homes or vacant apartments, are not eligible for a listing on Google Places. Create a listing for the central office that processes the sales or leasing offices, rather than the individual rental or sale properties.
If you don't conduct face-to-face business at your location, you must select the "Do not show my business address on my Maps listing" option within your dashboard. If you don't hide your address, your listing may be removed from Google Maps. (this last was further up the page).

Moira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, that could very well be the problem. Although not having an on site presence, I do make in-person contact when they arrive. The original listing came from Google maps and therefore shows our first apartment. I'm concerned that if I do not show any location guests may then think we don't really exist and are a scam. It looks like I'll just have to put up with people not reading the info I send and going to the wrong location. Thankfully all our apartments are only a short distance apart.
Harborfields

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could create your own map in "My Maps" under Google maps, with separate pins for each of your apartments, and then share that. I think there is a way to have these maps that you create be searchable or found through search, but I haven't figured this one all out yet.

For example, here is a map I created for Harborfields:
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212927648327466002711.0004c02b04a2fc53ef140&msa=0

I've set it as "public" so you should be able to see it, but I'm not sure how it shows up in the search engine.

Here is what Google has to say:

Quote:
You can choose to make your maps public or unlisted.

Public maps are maps that you want to publish and share with everyone. Public maps will be included in the search results on Google Web Search as well as in your user profile (if you have created one).

From http://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=144365
Moira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't even realise you could make your own maps. I'll give it a try.
casasantoestevo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harborfields wrote:
I don't know if some of the problems people may be having with their Google Places listing might be because they are not in compliance with Google's terms of service? You can only get a Google Places listing for a vacation rental if you are an on-site owner and the physical/mailing address of where you conduct your business is the same as the property that you are trying to advertize.

From http://support.google.com/places/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=107528

Quote:
Only businesses that make in-person contact with customers qualify for a Google Places listing.
Rental or for sale properties, such as vacation homes or vacant apartments, are not eligible for a listing on Google Places. Create a listing for the central office that processes the sales or leasing offices, rather than the individual rental or sale properties.
If you don't conduct face-to-face business at your location, you must select the "Do not show my business address on my Maps listing" option within your dashboard. If you don't hide your address, your listing may be removed from Google Maps. (this last was further up the page).

That is what I said right at the beginning. Rolling Eyes
When making maps with Google one should be aware that Apple have said that the maps will not be available in any future Apple OS

http://on.msnbc.com/apple-maps

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harbourfield, I've now created a map which shows all three locations. Many of the other apartment businesses have managed to show more than one location we'll see whether mine eventually show up under google searches.
How to build your own personal website from scratch