Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Help wanted for keywords plse

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Help wanted for keywords plse Reply with quote

Hello,
I m trying to build our own website and I am looking desesperaly for those magic keywords. I tried the free version of Wordtracker and Market Samourai and read everything I could find on this forum. I know, I am french (noboby is perfect lol) but I thought I could do it but my brain is now on over-heating mode and I need some help.So I would appreciate if somebody out there could give me some advice.

Our villa is located in South west of France, in Dordogne.It sleeps 10 and has a private salted water pool. I ran many queries but so far nothing (dordogne french holiday, dordogne luxury french villa....South West France holiday....)

Tia
Isy

Last edited by Isy on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
HolidayHomeInformation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isy

Are you looking for ideas as to which are the most popular key phrases for you to target? If so you can see the approximate search volumes here:
https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/Explorer?__u=1000000000&__c=1000000000&ideaRequestType=KEYWORD_IDEAS#search.none

Andy
kendalcottages

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that, just because some words are searched for more than others, that's not necessarily the words that you want to target. There may well be much more competition for those words or they might not be the kinds of search terms that are most likely to result in a booking.

I would simply try to put yourself in the shoes of your prospective guests and try to imagine what they might search for if they were looking for a place such as yours.

For us, that is simply our place name (Kendal) followed by 'cottages' (even though our first property is in fact an apartment) or 'self-catering' as I believe these are the most commonly used terms for this type of accommodation in the UK.
Isy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
Thanks for coming to my rescue!Yes, I m trying to find the right set of words to have an hope to be recognised by Google and to build my website (domain for example)
I tried Adwords toolbox (I did not mention it on my previous post, sorry about that).I tried also Market Samourai which is linked to Adwords. I m still stuck!
HolidayHomeInformation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isy

these are the suggestions for Dordogne Villa

""= that phrase within the search term
[] = that phrase exactly

Keyword Global Monthly Searches
dordogne villa 6600
villa in dordogne 6600
"dordogne villa" 210
"dordogne villa" 210
luxury villa dordogne 170
dordogne villa rentals 140
[dordogne villa] 91
[dordogne villa] 73
"villa in dordogne" 46
"dordogne villa rentals" 16
"luxury villa dordogne" 16
[luxury villa dordogne] 16
[villa in dordogne] 16
[dordogne villa rentals] 12

Which I guess tells us that Dordogne Villa is the key phrase, sounds like the same thinking for Kendal Cottages then - place name followed by accommodation type?

If you are buying a domain, try and buy one with those words in it?

By the way - interesting that people search for cottages more than self-catering then book apartments, houses, lodges etc...
Isy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kendalcottages: sorry your post overlapped mine, so I did not see it when I answered to Andy. Thanks a mil for help !
@Andy : thank you so much for your answer!!! You're a gem !

It s been 2 weeks now that my nose is stuck in front of my screen laptop. Don't laugh but I was starting to look like a mad professor (with mad hairstyle & glass) writting different formulas and looking for the right one.... I was going from the KEI of wordtracker to the 4 golden rules of market Samourai without finding anything that could work.... for example sometimes the keywords were getting the right traffic but the competition was too high and I did not have an hope ... I was so worried to pick the wrong one and buying the wrong domain that I looked on the net for every bit of info. That made me worse because I ended up with more scenarios and still not one good one.

So before I lost my sanity I decided to put my pride aside and ask for help here. Do you think I lost my marbles??? lol. Am I the only one to overthink the famous keywords?? Could it just a matter of common sense? I can't thank you enough the 2 of you.

If I may, I have another thing that puzzled me :
- what s the story with long tail keywords? Apparently short one are no good.
- what do you think about the word "luxury". I read here on the forum that some people did not want to use it on their website to discribe their accomodation, pool ... (or maybe I misread) because it could be too pompous. What do you think plse?

@Andy : I googled "Dordogne villa" (7 200 000 results), and it looks like I ll be able to buy this domain.Thanks again Andy, you lifted a big weight from my shoulder!And you're right, that s something I discovered a couple of days ago : "Cottage(s)" seems very popular... Pity I have a villa!

Thanks a mil again guys, I own you big time for your precious advice.

Isy
la vache!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isy,
I'd never think of searching for a Dordogne villa. Or any villa in France - gte, rental house or possibly cottage, but villas for me are for Spain or somewhere hot!
Just like the Tube is London, the Metro for Paris, the Subway for New York.
HolidayHomeInformation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on French search terms, so had a look at all accommodation types in Dordogne

??Keyword Searches
"dordogne holiday" 880
"holidays dordogne" 320
"dordogne hotels" 320
"dordogne holidays" 260
"villas in dordogne" 210
"holidays in dordogne" 210
"dordogne villa" 210
"cottages dordogne" 210
"cottage dordogne" 210
"b&b dordogne" 210
"accommodation dordogne" 210
"hotels in dordogne" 170
"holiday dordogne" 170
"dordogne rentals" 170
"cottages in dordogne" 170
"campsites in dordogne" 170
"campsites dordogne" 170
"camping in dordogne" 170
"dordogne cottages" 140
"dordogne campsites" 140
"dordogne accommodation" 140
"campsite dordogne" 140
"holiday cottages dordogne" 110
"dordogne holiday rentals" 110

I wouldn't pay much attention to the numbers as they will vary through the year, but importantly, it gives you an idea of what is proportionally more popular.

Long tail is a definition given to longer search phrases, like

"book a self-catering holiday in Dordogne with pet, pool"

the theory is that far fewer people will use that search term, but because it is more specific, they are more likely to book.

If I could suggest one thing, simply create a great website with lots of articles about the area, what there is to do, events etc. Google likes regularly updated content.

Andy
Isy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy: thanks a mil again for your help.
I have to put my website projet temporaly on hold but I ll keep the info that you kindly gave to me.
Thanks again
Isy
How to build your own personal website from scratch