Can't keep the pool clean - is it algae and what can I do?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Annie T

Can't keep the pool clean - is it algae and what can I do?

Post by Annie T »

This year I am REALLY struggling with the pool (above-ground). With all the rain we have been cosntantly checking and adjusting both the PH and chlorine levels, but we are having to hoover a fine layer of green off the bottom (and occasionally brush some off the walls of the pool) on almost a daily basis! I always do a full backwash as soon as I've finished hoovering (and the water inevitably comes out green).

We've assumed that the problem is algea, and have treated with an anti-alg product, and kept the filter running for about 48 hours to ensure that we're clearing out as much as possible.

I am starting to feel that our usually sparkling water is unobtainable, but I'd just like to have it clearer than it currently is!

Does anyone have any ideas on anything else we could try - we really don't want to drain the pool, replace the liner and refill (which is the only solution we have now come up with!) as we are fully booked for the next few weeks!

many thanks!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm sorry you are having problems, Annie. I imagine with all the rain it is a nightmare keeping the algae away.
You would probably be better off keeping your filter pump running 24/7 anyway, wouldn't you? I do - it never goes off during the time the pool is up and running (March - November). I haven't had a green pool for years because as well as chlorine I use a mineraliser which keeps it algae free. I used to use Pool RX but that is no longer available in France and now I use a semi automatic pool treatment system called Zodiac Nature Fusion² which comprises a chlorine distributor and a mineral purifier which works a treat.
It was the only thing that worked for me - sorry I can't be more helpful, but I sympathise a lot, guests do not want a green pool!
Maybe it is worth posting on one of the French expat forums as there are some experts on pool management there?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I had a similar green pool problem at the end of last year - the problem is that once you get algue, it breeds. My problem was like a powder green that came off easily from the liner with brushing, but came back just as quickly.

My pool guy suggested that I significantly up the chlorine for about three days - readings of about 5ppm (this is not dangerous for swimmers - in the American forums they maintain 10ppm) but it shouldn't go higher than 5 because it can stain the liner. This worked well for me - I also ran the pump 24 hours a day whilst this process was happening. I run my pump in normal situations at half the number of hours of the temperature - that is 14 hours of filtering when the water is at 28 degrees.

Remember to leave the cover off during this period, because this allows the dirty chlorine particules to evaporate.

Once the problem had gone away, with the above procedure, it didn't come back.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Annie T

Post by Annie T »

Thanks for the tips folks! I'll look into the mineral purifier - it's not something I've ever come across. For the moment we'll raise the chlorine again and run the pump 24/7 for the next few days and see if that sorts it! I like the idea of running 1/2 the hours to the temperature trick - we've been running 3 x 2 hourly periods which has worked fine up to now, but we'll definitely be upping this even once the current problem is (hopefully!) sorted!

Any further ideas still welcome!!

Thanks again!!
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Hi Annie T,
How have you got on with your pool?

I have intermittent problems with cloudy water (in ground pool 8x4m) and would like to know what the cause is.

I have two suspects on my list; tree pollen and sun cream.

This area is heavily wooded and I am pretty sure pollen and dust in the air is a contributor. It's especially noticeable after a shower of rain.

As for the sun cream; I know it stains the liner but no idea why it should make the water cloudy. Any ideas anybody? There's no doubt though that some people can use the pool and you would hardly know, others however for sure end up making the water cloudy.

I think I'll try the mineral purifier that LV suggested but in the meantime it will have to be a super dose job I think. Not easy of course when people want to use the pool - go off and do something useful for heavens sake, instead of spending all day by the pool!

Ralph

www.visitslovenija.eu
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Hi Ralph

Do you put Floculant tablets in your pool have a look at this. I buy some tablets in a little mesh sack that I put it about every couple of months when the water starts to look less clear.

Hope this helps
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The only time I have unclear water is in winter after I've done a chlor choc and the cyanuric acid is too high. The only cure is to empty out a third of the water and refill. I can highly recommend the purifier - in season I only ever have crystal clear water. Some guests commented on arrival this week how nice the water looked - they rented a place in Normandy last year where the water was green.
Annie T

Post by Annie T »

Well folks - after a REALLY frustrating week I think we may have got to the bottom of the problem! Like Ralph I was beginning to think it could be pollen from the fir tree that is next to the pool - it's one of those with the little ball things that I know will be clogging up the filter at the end of the season - but I gave a branch a damn good shake and nothing came off!

Once again, I tested everything (PH & chlorine fine), got in the pool and hoovered EVERY last inch, and backwashed and it didn't look too bad - just a bit misty. The following morning I peeled back the cover - and found pea soup :shock: As the lady staying with us at the moment is pregnant I immediately 'closed' the pool, took a sample and rushed off to the swimming pool shop to get the water tested.

The lady in the shop used her ultra-fancy machine to do the test and the PH came up at 6.5 - not the 7.2 reading that I got using the tablets!! Obviously, with the PH that far out the chlorine wasn't working!

I got home and took a look at the tablets and found that I had two different makes - one with black writing on them (the ones I have been using all season) and one with green. I retested the water with the black ones and got 7.2. I retested with the green ones - and it was off the chart lower than the minimum 6.8 reading!!! So it seems that I have been working futilely all season and getting stressed out with absolutely NO chance of sorting things!! And yes, I have dumped the black-writing tabs!

Well, I have now got the PH correct and used the product the pool shop sold me (Rattrapage des eaux vertes) and within 24 hours the algae had turned white. We're running the pump 24 hours a day and the mist is slowly clearing... I'm hoping that when I can check later (the guests aren't up yet so I can't access the pool!) it will FINALLY be clear!!! :D :D :D

Incidentally, I mentioned this to a friend back in the UK who has a pool and he uses 'Hypoclorite conentrated farm disinfectant' which is liquid chlorine and costs about £10 for 20 litres from the local farm shop - and I suspect is exactly the same as the French product for which I paid 15 Euros for 5 litres!! Guess what is on my next 'UK shopping list' ready for next year!!

Luckily our current guests have been VERY understanding about this whole situation, bless them!!

:roll:
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I'm so glad that it's coming clear for you Annie, I know how stressful these problems can be.

My pool man said that the liquid chlorine that I use is similar to the farm cleaner (my OH is a dairy farmer), but that he wouldn't recommend using it in the pool (he may have a hidden agenda here, of course!). I would check the chemical makeup of the two products to make sure and may be google the farm chlorine chemical in relation to pools - I know that you need to be careful about liquid chlorine because it can damage your liner if the dose isn't correct.

Good luck, I hope it continues to clear!
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Jings - shows it's worth checking pool chemicals with more than one tester. Just wish they were cheaper to buy....

I'll have a look at the flocking tablets too. In case you've never seen it, I have been using this stuff:

http://poolstore.co.uk/product/clarifie ... -clarifier

Not cheap either but I kinda like the environmentally friendly part. I find it's not as good as shocking the pool, but a whole lot easier, as you don't have to close the pool to use it.

Ralph

Hey - has anybody been using one of the electronic testers for pH and Chl? You can buy them for about a tenner on eBay (from Hong Kong of course). Do they work - and is buying a cheap one a bad idea?
Annie T

Post by Annie T »

I'd be interested to hear about these testers too - I've been looking at the Aquachek TruTest machine, (which is what the lady in the pool shop was using) but the cheapest I've come across is about £45 with the tester strips coming in at £7.50 for 50!
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Had a look at the Aquachek gadget and it looks to me that it is just a way of getting a digital reading from a test strip - so you still need to buy the test strips anyway.

The pool store here recommended www.sensafe.com - but their website is pretty awful (never a comforting sign) and the kit maybe too professional, i.e. expensive.

So looks like a choice between cheap and nasty from Hong Kong or spending over £200 on the real deal......

I'd have liked a digital pH tester though, just for the simplicity of it, but they are vey dependent on good calibration and I can't imagine the cheap ones are any good at this. So maybe we should just stay with the test strips??
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

visitslovenija wrote:
So looks like a choice between cheap and nasty from Hong Kong or spending over £200 on the real deal......
We spent over £200 on the 'real deal' a couple of years ago, it lasted just over a year then once it was out of warranty it just stopped working. :evil: I'd stay with the test strips.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

la vache! wrote:The only time I have unclear water is in winter after I've done a chlor choc and the cyanuric acid is too high. The only cure is to empty out a third of the water and refill. I can highly recommend the purifier - in season I only ever have crystal clear water. Some guests commented on arrival this week how nice the water looked - they rented a place in Normandy last year where the water was green.
You can get a chlor choc without stabilisateur from HTH - my pool guy says it's the only brand that does it. It's called "Shock sans stabiliser" :wink: . As far as I understand, it's the stabiliser that pushes the cyanuric acid up. I add stabiliser just once a year when the weather gets hot to stop the chlorine from evapourating so quickly and costing me a fortune.
brendan

Post by brendan »

I use a product called ´goldenflok´ as part of the weekly maintenance to help clear organic particles, sun cream etc. It´s excellent stuff and keeps the pool water sparkling.

While the name implies that it is a floculant - it isn´t one in the traditional sense but has a floculant type action without the problems associated with floculant. Nor does it replace floculant when its use is required.