Inflexibility costs bookings

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Did we live through all that?

I still see Avocado things on my travels. We rarely get business from the large legacy agencies but when people approach us who are leaving them, 75% of the cottages are nightmares. A couple of weeks ago I did see a perfect condition Avocado suite in what was a perfect late '70s bathroom. It was a museum piece. The owner said, bluntly, "I'm not changing it. It will do for a holiday let. They don't come for the bathrooms."

This attitude is still common and it ruins my week. I do not mind visiting and trying to help... but this is what has wrecked the UK. It is a lack of respect for the guests.

Of course it is expensive to renew things, but failing to modernise with a bathroom over 40 years old and expecting to still make it work for you in a market that has moved on at least 30 years ago is astonishing. But you are right... the fashion may well return along with fancy plaster on the ceilings and other goodies.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I was going to open a new light hearted topic entitled "most optimistic enquiry", but I think it may be appropriate in this discussion:

I have just received an enquiry today (June 19th) for a holiday from 8th August - 28th August 2012.
Those dates add up to 20 nights.
NOT 3 weeks
NOT 2 weeks
NOT standard changeover day
Middle of School Holidays

.... and the point is:
I suspect that they WILL find an owner with availability, willing to rent those dates. OK, the accommodation will probably be miles from anywhere, and have an avocado bathroom suite, but the seller and buyer may well strike a mutually agreeable deal !

Its a funny world
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

Charles don’t let it ruin your week; get even and start collecting material for a book, titled “It should not happen to an Avocado Suite”
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Richard, I take it that was a no?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

charles cawley wrote: A couple of weeks ago I did see a perfect condition Avocado suite in what was a perfect late '70s bathroom. It was a museum piece. ]...[ But you are right... the fashion may well return.
Actually, 70s theme has been high fashion in Sweden a couple of years (among the fashionistas who are too young to have experienced it the first time). If the rest of the house is in the same shape, you might have a niche market for well off 30 somethings! ;-)
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Yes, if it were good business, despite being not my thing, I would promote all things Avocado and 1970s if the market wanted it. Sometimes, you have to do things against your inclinations to make your way in the world.

However, most of these revivals are ironic resurrections made all the more exciting by the disgust of folk like me. Most, mercifully, come and go like meteors.

I take care to see owners in the offices because, if they saw how we arrange home, (a few doors away), they would quickly see that it is a million miles away from the regime we recommend.

The importance of fashion coupled with reasonable cost and practicality cannot be overstated.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It's very interesting from your perspective Charles. My take on it, is that either you walk away from these owners who think they don't need to modernise or you simply tell them what they need to do. Then they have the facts to make their decision. As an example; an estate agent takes a property on to his books but doesn't get any offers, because the property isn't in a marketable state. It's his duty to tell the owners what they should do, otherwise how will they sell? I appreciate it doesn't make your job at all easy!

Getting back to flexibility, earlier this year I had far too many gaps in my calendar, as my second property wasn't filling up very fast. At that point I started accepting any booking, even if it was a short break in peak time. I slightly regret it as I now have 3 breaks in early July & Aug that aren't shifting, so 11 days in total at peak pricing. I think I could have possibly held out for full weeks, as that's now what people are wanting at this late stage.

So it's hard to know exactly what the right answer is, except there probably isn't one...... :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well I have a few holes in my calendar but as I get a 10-20% premium for short breaks I can live with that. We started off with Friday and Monday changeovers against the trend of Sat-Sat 5 years ago.

Now all my competition do it :-(