Sleeping six or eight people?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
booboo

Sleeping six or eight people?

Post by booboo »

Hi everyone, as some of you know we have decided to open up the downstairs in our property.We are turning it into two bedrooms and a second bathroom.One of the bedrooms will easy fit a double bed and a set of bunkbeds, the other, we were thinking two sets of bunkbeds.Then we could sleep eight.
Slovenia is much cheaper to rent than the UK yet our costs our the same.

Now one question is.... is it better to go for six or eight people?

Is it possible to buy bunkbeds which are easy to assemble from IKEA? so we could turn them into two single beds giving it a feeling of more space and adding the extra beds if we need to?

You think why dont you phone IKEA? Our nearest one is in Austria and we cant find anyone there who speaks enough English to explain.
Thanks in advance
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

The key question is actually: how many can you seat in the other rooms. I think it is critical to be able to seat the same number as you sleep, both dining and relaxing.

Also, packing the maximum can mean going down market, which also bring proportionately lower prices and can mean less respect for your furniture.

Reception rooms should dictate what you property can reasonably hold.

(I thought you had an Ikea down that way - perhaps Zagreb and not yet open?)
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, I'd really echo what Margaret has said. And I think you could risk shooting yourself in the foot here if you try to cram too many people into your space - 'sleeps 8' in 2 bedrooms isn't especially appealing .... and even if you use the sofa bed in the kitchen/living room for 2 people you're in danger of overcrowding.

Who are you aiming at? Groups of walking friends looking for a place to sleep? Families with 6 children? Two couples each with 2 children? Can't think that many parents are going to be to thrilled to share their bedroom with 2 children in bunk beds ...

Sometimes more is less! :lol:
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

French Cricket wrote:
Can't think that many parents are going to be to thrilled to share their bedroom with 2 children in bunk beds ...
a few maybe with the parents in double bed and 2 kids in bunks for economy reasons (we put up with it sometimes on an overnight en-route stopover, but wouldn't do it for a whole holiday), but even fewer who would want to sleep in bunk beds themselves and share with 2 kids too. I think its really limited to a couple with 6 kids in that configuration.

Bunk beds can be popular with kids, but most have a disclaimer saying they aren't suitable for adults on the top bunk, and many adults don't like sleeping on the bottom bunk because of banging their head when they sit up.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Bunk beds don't do it for me I have to say. There's a short period in any family when it's fine for a couple with kids between say 4 and 14, who can sleep in bunks but otherwise?

Couples will want a double or at worst twins and children over 14/15 become too big for bunks. At best, it may appeal to a group of young adults.

So who is your target market? If you want groups then go for bunks, but for the widest appeal I would not go that route.

Two bedrooms - I'd be sleeping four or five at best. Less is definitely more I'd say!

BTW - just looked at your Homeaway advert - lots of spelling mistakes. You need to run it through a spell check or get a native to check it. I'm assuming English isn't your first language?
booboo

Post by booboo »

Thank you all, You have really echoed what I was thinking but was unsure.
Since advertizing sleeps eight our stats went right up and we have one booking for six adults.

Its very hard to work out who will be our target market. Most of the vistors to Slovenia want to see as much of this country as possible and tend to travel around either staying in one place or at the most three differant places.

Nemo thank you so much for that, I have to say I am shocked,
Hubby normaly checks everthing for me :?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

French Cricket wrote:Can't think that many parents are going to be to thrilled to share their bedroom with 2 children in bunk beds ...

Sometimes more is less! :lol:
:lol: Nice one FC.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Perhaps no everyone realises that you really only need one base in Slovenia? That could be a good point to push?
booboo

Post by booboo »

Thanks again for your replys! I have had another look at whats available here and it seems to be two types, one, packing them in. Then the more up market ones, sleeps less, more room with pool or those with lush antique furniture etc.

There is lot of sleeps eight, two bedrooms, one bathroom.
I think we will try sleeps six, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and see what we get. We hope we are offering middle of the range accommodation.
Last year we put money into the house, this year we have put some more and again next year. We feel times are too uncertain to throw the whole lot in and not know if anything will come back. This year was about trying to get some kind feel for the market

@ Margaret, we have gently pushed that in our listing and was thinking a more aggressive approach when we get around to creating a website.
Its really hot and late here at mo!
Thanks again for helping me make up my mind, it really helps to just get it out there :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

booboo wrote:Thanks again for helping me make up my mind, it really helps to just get it out there :)
That's what we're here for - a sounding board, even if you don't always get the response you want or expect. :lol: