Facebook page reclassification to 'community page'

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
French Cricket

Facebook page reclassification to 'community page'

Post by French Cricket »

A few days ago I noticed this at the top of my page:
This Page has been recategorised as a Community Page
Community Pages represent causes, topics and ideas (as opposed to official entities such as businesses, bands and public figures). This change has not affected your Page’s presence on Facebook. If you think your Page has been miscategorised, Let us know.
After a bit of investigation I find that this is happening to lots of business pages, for some reason known only to FB (I'm assuming - and hoping - it's an error). It's a potentially serious issue, especially for those with lots of likes - I'm thinking especially of KC here - as apparently once a community page's activity has reached a certain level (not quite sure what that is yet) you may lose personal secure access to it, which means that anyone can effectively have 'admin' functions and can add or edit or delete.

Has anyone else had this?

The link that FB gives you to report a miscategorisation isn't helpful; this is the correct one: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/? ... 5959147537. I've reported mine and got the standard non-helpful response:
Hi. We've received your inquiry. Although we can't reply to every report at this time, we may contact you for more details as we troubleshoot the issue you reported.

For more information about using Facebook Pages, please check out our Pages help topic: www.facebook.com/help/pages.

Thanks for contacting Facebook and enjoy the site!
There are several threads running in the FB community forum - like this one: https://www.facebook.com/help/community ... s_answered

And one enterprising disgruntled person has set up a FB page (!) devoted to the issue here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/this-pag ... 9834173788

Well worth having a look at your page - if you have it, you'll see it underneath the admin panel.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks for the heads up FC. I'm a bit mystified. I've had a look on my page and can't see anything untoward, but I've looked at your page and others purportedly affected and cannot see a category anywhere? So it could be a community or a business etc but I can't see either for looking!

Transparent as always, good old facebook. :roll:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

You'll only see it on your own page, Nemo, as page admin.

If you haven't got the message below your admin panel, you've not been reclassified.

Yet :lol: :lol:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

French Cricket wrote: Yet :lol: :lol:
No, please not me......... :roll:

When you do a search for something, in the general search bar, didn't you used to see then what classification a page was?

I know I have seen community pages, marked as such, before (stumbled across that is :lol: ) but now I can't find any for looking!
CarolineH

Re: Facebook page reclassification to 'community page'

Post by CarolineH »

French Cricket wrote: Has anyone else had this?
Thanks for highlighting this FC - it's happened to my FB page, too. I will follow the same procedure as you have done, but would be interested to know the outcome of yours.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, let's post any updates on this here ....

What a right royal PITA. As if we haven't got enough to do in the grandes vacances :twisted:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

My page hasn't been re-classified....yet.
The change FB have made also seems to be linked to why you can now have a Page name so quickly without having to have the magic 25+ likes.
The re-categorizing seems to be completely random??
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'm fast coming to the conclusion, LV, that FB itself is completely random!
pambon

Post by pambon »

The more I learn of them the more thankful I am that I'm not on fb (or twitter). They seem to want to completly take over your life - virtual or not :roll:
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

No re-classification of mine yet either, but thank you for the 'heads up'.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Nor ours yet so I have been directing my anger at Holiday Lettings instead: another site which has taken the initiative and made unhelpful changes without the owner's knowledge, grrrr ...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Out of interest, how many likes do the reclassified pages have? I notice that KC, GG and I all have over 100 and haven't been reclassified.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'd wondered if it was something like that, LV, but some of the people who are affected and posting on the forum have huge numbers of likes .....
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I've got 76 likes - and they've got me :cry:
Maybe the 100 is critical?
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

CarolineH wrote:I've got 76 likes - and they've got me :cry:
Maybe the 100 is critical?
65 like for my page and no change to it .... yet
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras