Western Union transfer

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Jaya Patel

Western Union transfer

Post by Jaya Patel »

I think I have secured a 6 month let. Could anyone advise me what the cheapest way the client could pay into my account in the uk. (cheapest for him at no cost to me). He has mentioned a Western Union payments how does this work and will it cost/can it be done in sterling?
MAD WOMAN
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't wish to sound cynical, but are you sure this is a genuine enquiry? Long term let + Western Union transfer = scam to me usually!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Scams invariably use Western Union transfers, so be very wary. Six months is also very scammy. If in doubt, post your email correspondence here to get advice on whether it is a scam.

You should only accept a bank transfer direct into your account. This will cost you nothing if the sender pays all the charges, and a few pounds/euros otherwise.

Something else to bear in mind - depending on the laws in your country, a 6-month let can become something other than a holiday let, and that could make it hard to evict someone who doesn't want to leave.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Jaya Patel

western union transfer

Post by Jaya Patel »

Thanks for your advice. here is a copy of the e mail
Dear Owner,

I my wife and our 1year old son , like to stay from 25mart2006 until
25september2006 in bodrum , if u can offer us a good price of monthly basis , we
will be glad to stay in your apartment , i and my wife are coming from germany
and will work in bodrum of the season time.
thanks
olas

He has suggested now to pay direct into my bank account so hopefully it isn't a scam.
MAD WOMAN
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm sorry, but it looks like a scam to me, the dreadful English is usually a giveaway!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I'd be wary.....he may pay more money than the rental fee into the account, then ask for the remainder to be sent back..in the meantime his cheque will bounce leaving you out of pocket with the money you've sent him.

I had a similar scam email, so I asked for cash to be deposited rather than a cheque (but not giving any of my bank details) he replied that he didn't want to book!
Jaya Patel

western union

Post by Jaya Patel »

I am going to ask him to pay the deposit and one months rent up front in cash to my agent in Turkey on arrival and then monthly transfers into my account in uk
MAD WOMAN
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

It would be interesting to see what he says. Let us know what happens!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Reorder "Pole don't with touch a barge". A personal view.

John
roxytoo

scam?

Post by roxytoo »

difficult one, I would ask for all monies paid up front into bank account, then if that happens can't see a problem! I had an email the other day which I replied very quickly too but then had an email from the advertising site not to touch it as it was a scam. I had already replied so thought oh well but it turns out to be genuine, she has already paid a deposit and returned a signed contract etc etc! So sometimes they are genuine! I asked the company on what ground they had to give out an email to say it was a scam and apparently she had emailed about 20 diffferent people all over Europe so they blocked it! I probably got the booking 'cos no-one else replied to her!!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Bad English is not surprising if this is from a German. However, the standard of communication and punctuation is very poor, and it reads like a typical scam. As far as I can make out, Olas is not a German name.

Do you have their address and phone number? I think you should talk to him on the phone to get a better idea of who you are dealing with.

What if they turn up having paid a deposit, and tell your agent they have had a dreadful journey and been mugged so have no money for a few days till they can get organised? A few days later your agent turns up and they have stolen everything in the apartment; or they are now squatting with 12 hippies.

You are leaving yourself open to risk by letting them pay like this. I would only agree a rental if the whole amount was paid up front.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Jaya Patel

Western Union

Post by Jaya Patel »

Thanks for your comments..definately food for thought. However I have his address and telephone number (will try and call him tomorrow) . He is Turkish lives in Germany with his wife and 1 year old son and is going to be working in Turkey for the summer season as a manager of a club. We have been negotiating the price over the last couple of days and he has offered to pay in Turkey or by bank/western union transfer (he has also asked me how I need paying.)Anyway I have e mailed a contract and wait to see his response.He has been asking about satelite tv etc .Apparently his uncle works for the Parliament.My gut feeling tells me he is genuine, then again I am new to all of this!
MAD WOMAN
paolo

Post by paolo »

That information makes him a better bet. (If it's true!)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

If you were taking out a six month short term tennancy on a furnished flat it would be perfectly normal to ask for a reference. Perhaps you could ask for one.

I would certainly make sure there was some money up front before you give out the keys.

Ju
Jaya Patel

Western Union transfer

Post by Jaya Patel »

Thanks for the feedback,the client has e mailed the contract back to me and has asked if he could sign a copy once he has the keys.He will pay the deposit and one months rent in cash followed by monthly payments into an account which I have not yet provided details, worst comes to worst he can pay cash monthly to my agent in Turkey...so fingers crossed I am hoping this is genuine...I hope so as this would mean I have let my property out for seven months in my first year.
MAD WOMAN