Free VPN to watch UK TV abroad

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
Medoc Bob

Free VPN to watch UK TV abroad

Post by Medoc Bob »

Hello

As you know I work with a VPN Company called Lamnia. We have just launched a free trial offer. It is a no strings 24 hour trial to check out our full service.
We are also offering the chance to have a VPN for a year totally free of charge.

Have a look.

http://www.lamnia.co.uk/freetrial/freetrial2.html

Cheers Bob
Back in UK, our house in France is now back as a Holiday Home
pambon

Post by pambon »

Wow! Wimbledon men's finals tomorrow...........I wish!

This autumn I'm having a bigger dish installed facing the Astra satellite "28°E to get all the BBC and ITV programmes.
holidayloverxx

Post by holidayloverxx »

Medoc Bob, did you know you had not answered a question one of the other threads you had started?

viewtopic.php?t=17155&highlight=
Medoc Bob

Many Thanks Holiday Lover

Post by Medoc Bob »

Hi Thanks for that, as I replied in that thread this is my personal account and I only post what I think would be of benefit to fellow holiday home owners. It is not were we promote our company and our live support is online 18 hours a day and while we sleep we try to answer as soon as possible.

But still bad form not to reply to a question and thank you very much Holiday Lover for pointing that out to me.

Many Thanks

Bob
Back in UK, our house in France is now back as a Holiday Home
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

Bob,

I've now been trying to contact Lamnia and you for nearly two weeks. Online support has not been available since a week last thursday. I have a £200 piece of junk sitting at home doing nothing.

Please, everyone, do not touch Lamnia with a barge pole!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think Bob was moving back to the UK at the end of August, so that may explain why customer service is not up to scratch. Not good enough though really.
lasourcetranquille

Thanks Helen - he's just supposed to be the France 'representative'. The whole company seems to have gone non-responsive!
pambon

Post by pambon »

My brother in China uses Express VPN and gets all the BBC programmes. (Didn't ask about ITN) It costs US$100 annually with 24/7 online support.

Am thinking along these lines too...Lamnia doesn't sound too efficient, yet it had a write up among the Top Ten VPN's :o
gam

Post by gam »

So, a company who's business model is to charge money to people to enable them to bypass/avoid copyright/licensing conditions turns out to be a bit dodgy - who'd have thought it :roll:
lasourcetranquille

Very helpful gam, thanks. I think you've made it quite plain what your views on VPNs are - the online equivalent of sponsoring the Khmer Rouge. You are however being incredibly simplistic in your views.

Whilst allowing people to "to bypass/avoid copyright/licensing conditions" is one of the main uses of a VPN there are many others. I spend my life travelling the world, staying in hotels using hotel internet connections. This includes China, Nigeria, Angola, Brazil to name but a few. Whilst I am abroad I still need to use my internet banking, to go shopping and other activities that are a risk on the internet. By using a VPN I am able to completely encrypt all of my online transactions so am safe from being hacked, hijacked, eavesdropped and intercepted. Is this illegal? I can also use Skype and Facebook in countries like China which would also be impossible without the VPN. Should I throw myself upon the mercies of the systems of those countries for breaking the rules?

I am also able to shop online in countries like the UK and the USA by using a VPN connection to those countries. Is spending money in those economies illegal too? There are many sites, especially in the states that will not let you purchase unless you are connected via the US. Should I keep my money in my pocket?

And on top of all that, how do you know that I do not have a UK TV licence, which would mean that I am allowed to watch BBC iPlayer etc legally?
gam

Post by gam »

What a strange response. You think the two posts I've made on this subject express views equating VPNs as the equivalent to the Kmer Rouge? Good grief!

And how exactly are my views simplistic seeing as all I've done is highlight a reasonable question about the business ethic of a company which not only promotes activity which breaks copyright and licensing agreements but charges for it. Note, my two (brief) comments were about the company and what their services may be used for, not about the users of said service. Why you have taken my comments, not aimed at you, so personally, is a mystery.

Please take note of the title used by Bob in both threads. Was it for VPN per se? No. it was to "watch UK TV abroad" and "UK TV for the Olympics". Legitimate uses for VPN (of which of course there are some) were never discussed nor promoted by the poster.

I have no idea whether you have a UK TV licence and it's not relevant to either of my posts. But seeing as you mentioned it, you don't need a licence to watch catch-up in the UK only live or near live. You can take a downloaded programme out of the UK and watch it. You can not download or stream live TV whilst out of the UK, TV licence or not.
lasourcetranquille

My response was triggered by the unhelpful nature of your post. It was unnecessary and added nothing to the question asked. Perhaps that's just me being sensitive. However, to try and assuage some of the contempt you feel for companies offering VPN services I offered an alternative as to why they are 'a good thing'. None of this is taken personally - it can't as I don't know you - so I hope my rebuttal is taken in a similar way.
gam

Post by gam »

No offence taken nor intended by me.

You are again however inferring something which is simply untrue: I do not have "contempt" for companies offering VPN services; I do have a degree of contempt for companies that both actively promote illegal activities through their service AND make money from it. Legitimate VPN companies don't promote illegal activities as their main purpose or set up their services accordingly.

I am sorry you found my post unhelpful but which "question asked" are you referring to? The thread was created to promote a service. The following replies were largely expressing concerns or complaints. My post was completely legitimate I feel but can accept it was provocative to someone who (apparently) feels conned by the company.

Anyway, again, apologies if I have somehow upset you and apologies to the forum for continuing this thread.
lasourcetranquille

I'll get back in my box then and try and get a response from the dodgy company...
lorca

Post by lorca »

We use Expatsheild to watch UK TV (lots more about this elsewhere on LMH). It is completely free, and legal. We do not have a Sky TV satellite dish in our apartment (although we do in our big rental house). These are actually technically illegal in Spain as Sky do not have a licence to operate here - although many expats don´t know this.

I´d happily pay the UK license fee if it were an option - but at the moment it´s not.

No wish to pay a third party for a service I can get for free though :wink:
If not now, when?