B&&&&&y weather!

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
kg1

B&&&&&y weather!

Post by kg1 »

Wish this weather would let up. Our enquiries have come to a steaming halt. Have 10 days in Sep and 3 weeks in Oct to fill but unless the sun comes out some time soon I can't see it happening. :(
Windy

Post by Windy »

It's not exactly what we needed here is it.

Still maybe it's just our turn? There is always somebody suffering here - whether it's a weak £, bad weather, budget airlines cutting routes, ash clouds.

Mind you the English summer has been unremittingly crap (at least during July and August) for the last 4 years hasn't it? Sometimes I am surprised that we get any bookings at all.
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

well it certainly is living up to it's crap reputation this year, what a time for me to start up!

while i've no complaints about this year (except sept/oct, only two weeks booked so far), it doesn't bode well for 2013 does it :?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Cheer up folks, we may get there in the end! :lol:

I have been quiet for a week or so (which is quite a nice relief actually :wink: ) but have just had an enquiry for my last August date. I have some bookings for September, but only one for October, so plenty of vacancies. I'm expecting them to come in much later in the summer (even if we don't have one :roll: ).

I take dogs, so I know that's always a help as people with dogs wouldn't be taking them abroad, so it's a UK break or nothing.

There are plenty of mad people out there booking despite the weather - including me! I've just booked a trip to Cornwall and we're off to Sussex at the end of the summer.

Talk of 2013, as in another thread, is just pie in the sky for me. I'll be worried about 2013, come January 13. :)
Circé

Post by Circé »

Nemo, wake up! There's a pet passport scheme these days and lots of folk take their mutts abroad, especially to France.
Mobile homes on sites don't always accept them, but a lot of holiday cottages do.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Circé wrote:Nemo, wake up! There's a pet passport scheme these days and lots of folk take their mutts abroad, especially to France.
Mobile homes on sites don't always accept them, but a lot of holiday cottages do.
Sorry, you don't need to patronise me. I'm well aware there is a passport scheme, but I can assure you that the vast majority of my guests would not take their dog abroad for various reasons.

This is a thread about UK bookings in relation to the UK weather - do you have anything relevant to add?
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

...You're right, Windy, we have Rajoy, (no joy) and austerity measures, no jobs for the boys and and you have the rotten rain !
It is really bad for you this year - been watching it on our screens.

We all just push on and keep our fingers crossed for silver linings - everything usually picks up in the end, doesn't it ?
Circé

Post by Circé »

oo er, pardon me for talking Nemo. You may be aware of the pet passport scheme, but other UK owners might not be and your post implied that pet owners can't (not won't) take their pets abroad.

I have spent many afternoons and holidays on the Norfolk coast, with sand in the sandwiches, flasks of tea, windbreaks and beach huts. I remember the building of the Bacton gas terminal. I watch the reports of coastal erosion with interest as places I knew fall into the sea.

I miss living near the coast, but I wouldn't want to book a summer beachside holiday in the UK. Out of season, with the wind in your hair and no 'wish it was warm enough to swim' would be preferable, for me.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Circé wrote:oo er, pardon me for talking Nemo. You may be aware of the pet passport scheme, but other UK owners might not be and your post implied that pet owners can't (not won't) take their pets abroad.
You are quite able to post here unless you wish to offend. "Nemo, wake up" is extremely personal, clearly directed at me and unnecessary. To now say that your post was intended to inform others is somewhat hypocritical having used those terms to precede your sentence.

I could go back and edit my post, which was written quickly and without a great deal of thought as to the grammar involved. Clearly you felt my grammar did not correctly convey the meaning.

Perhaps you could find a more polite way of phrasing your posts in future, without picking on the individual concerned. I have replicated "Forum rule 1" here just as a reminder.

1. Be nice! It is fine to attack an opinion but not the person expressing it. Some forums are spoiled by bickering among its users. Rude posts will be deleted.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Back on the weather topic, dry and sunny here this afternoon! The fells looking glorious, blue skies, just hope the one set of guests we've got at the moment get back in time to see us at our best. Must be building up to something really nasty for tomorrow.

And - just had an enquiry for this weekend; too many people though.
Circé

Post by Circé »

Nemo, I do not consider that I was being rude. My use of 'wake up' was intended jocularly and was deliberately followed by 'Nemo' as it was addressed to you, the person who made the post to which I replied.
I do not wish to bicker with anyone.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm afraid that it did not come across in a jocular manner, just rather abrupt and patronising. However, there's nothing further that I wish to add, so we'll leave it there and allow the thread to continue.

Today we have monsoon like weather, with flash flooding and thunderstorms, but I have still taken a booking for the last weekend in August. Thanks to the eternal optimism of the Brits, who like the lyrics of the song, must think "things.......can only get better." :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thank goodness for the British stoicism. My guests have been incredibly happy, despite the weather which isn't that great in Northern France (but a lot less wet than the UK). Their attitude has been they aren't at work so they will enjoy themselves no matter what. Fortunately there is a lot to see and do around here. Justifiably the guests from Glasgow were a wee bit upset that the weather in Scotland was better there than here, but they still had a good time.
Without wishing to add to the dog issue, I think that it is even easier to take dogs abroad now than it was - I know I have a few more than usual booked this year from UK guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have many dog owners who bring their young, new dogs as a trial holiday for everyone. They want to see how their dogs react to new places and unfamiliar people. They also come in the main for a short break, whereas I assume most of your bookings are longer periods LV, if they are adding in a longer journey over water or do I assume incorrectly?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think if I were a dog owner then a week would be the minimum for which I would inflict the ferry crossing on them. Short breaks hors de question. Now the passport is easier, I expect more people to bring their dogs with them. But it isn't a cheap option so I'm sure most dog lovers will still find it easier to holiday in the UK.