Going round in circles, please help.

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Bellywobble

Going round in circles, please help.

Post by Bellywobble »

I didn't want to ask opinions on this website www.casamarina.net, before I was happy with it, but my husband and I have spent so much time fiddling with it that I think it is now going from bad to worse!
To save us falling out with each other again this weekend, I think we need some fresh imput.
The photos are truly awful (particularly the stretched ones), but until the sun is shining and the decorator has been to paint the terrace we are stuck with them for now. Apart from the quality of them, are they of the right things or should we be taking different ones altogether?
I would like more photos on most of the pages, but "He that Does" disagrees. He also thinks it is "too wordy", by which I think he means he doesn't like what I have written! We intend to add some guest reviews.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

kayley - the link doesn't work!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,

If you omit the trailing comma the link works fine.

Try this folks:- www.casamarina.net

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Sorry :oops:
roxytoo

website

Post by roxytoo »

Had a very quick look Kayley, home page link does not work from other pages

not too wordy as such, just too much text and not enough pictures (as you said) to break it all up, the pictures should be good once you get the right ones

I think it will be pleasing on the eye once you have sorted that out, I like it!
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

Hi Kayley

I think the text you have written is informative and not too long - you've got to remember that you are asking people to part with quite a lot of money based on your site, telling them what they are getting for their money is vital.

If you are still having discussions about the text it might be worth using the Verdana font as this is much easier to read on a web page.

One thing I would try and do is to not use frames as it is not helpful for search engines, and ultimately 'hides' your text from them.

You may also want to take a look at this thread on titles and keywords as you need to place these in your web pages, please see:

viewtopic.php?t=1565

Also your photos are quite large in file size and they might take some time to load over a normal dial-up connection.

And the photos you've used at the top of each page are not pulling their weight when you constrict their display size.

You are losing the dimension of pics that look very interesting and will add to your site - maybe think of three along the top all of the same height and width.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions.

Regards

Craig
mvus

Post by mvus »

Hi,

Your images in the photo gallery are Portable Network Graphic files and would be around 90% smaller if you choose medium quality jpeg. I would post an example on here for you to drag to your desktop but can't see how you put on photo on a posting
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Kayley,
I haven't really looked in detail at everything yet, but I think you have a lovely place with great views - so get some more photos on the homepage! All the detailed info about the area can go on another page.
One thing I know you have mentioned before is the pool - it is your pool and you allow guests to use it. If I were a potential guest, this would put me off I think - couldn't you say instead that the appartment comes with a pool that is shared with the owner? I think people are used to this, but I think as a potential guest I would feel a little uncomfortable about using your pool from the way you have described it on the website.
The photos on the top look a little stretched - I use the free ifanview.com to re-size photos (as recommended on this site by mpprh) which works really well and is free.
I think your writing style is very friendly and I love the dog!
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

just to add that the photos are pretty slow loading, even for me on ADSL.

Check the quality here :

Your photo (http://www.your-image.co.uk/CasaMarina/ ... b66d55.png 335000 octets) :

Reformatted to jpg ( http://tlp.netfirms.com/casamarina.jpg 32000 octets )

Not too different in appearance ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

I just took a peek and the only image on the homepage was the heading - this is definately un-inviting and I would not attempt to look any further.

The text is OK and I would suggest using some Headings to help surfers to scan down to the section they are interested in, instead of having to read the whole page.

You are not too far off having a reasonable site.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Many thanks for all the helpful replies and kind comments.
My husband, Richard, has started making the changes suggested (although he's stopped at the moment for a "football break") and will hopefully get them all done during this weekend.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Just in case I have to make any more comments, please advise which football team break he is watching? :P
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Reddevil, when it comes to sport, I just don't ask!

Well, it's not quite finished, but he's taken all of the comments on board and I hope you would agree that it's getting better.

What I don't quite understand is that the rating hasn't changed at all on here, http://www.sitening.com/tools/seo-analy ... p?id=27628. There are still things in the report to be addressed, but I would have thought that the improvements would have put up the rating a little.

One thing that we don't understand in the report is where it says the page only "contains 100 words or less". If anyone can explain that bit, we would be very grateful.

Susan, does the pool bit read any better?

Thanks again for all the comments, they've been invaluable.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi,just to say that I thought I'd take a peep but it took ages to display (on broadband!)- I was going to click off when the "unable to display page" sign came up :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Kayley,
Yes it reads better - much more inviting than before. However... I think that there are still too many words on the homepage which need both thinning out and breaking up a little more. People just want to scan a summary of the location, the number of people it is for, pool/terrace details (nice photo by the way), quick summary of area, perhaps distance from bars restos etc. And of course a couple more photos! Do you have any of the outside of the apartment?