EU cookie law for websites

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

EU cookie law for websites

Post by la vache! »

Does anyone have a cookie warning to website visitors on their site? Something that says that we don't store any personal information and inviting them to opt out of cookie use if they prefer? Do we have to if we use website stats like GA (I assume so).
I've looked at a couple of WP plugins but pop up rather suddenly and seem a bit frightening - I'm worried they will put people off looking at the rest of the website.
CSE

Post by CSE »

We comply with The Spanish regulations.
We have for a number of years, but reading the replies or lack of) on this thread Expats in Spain could not give a monkeys.
viewtopic.php?t=12402
If you use a WP plugin could you not amend the wording?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The WP plugins I have tried are big and scary and don't work on the iPhone screen at all.
jurassictoast

Post by jurassictoast »

Hi everyone,

I had a similar issue with mobile. I eventually tried these guys http://cookie-control.com and it's working well so far.

Be aware though that if you are running google analytics you can go for the implied consent option which means your visitors who continue to browse the site aren't excluded from that much needed stats info.

Might be worth a look?

Best wishes

Vin
Phil Schofield

Post by Phil Schofield »

The best advice I've seen is from http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/10205-2 ... compliance

One of their other articles claimed that;

More than 40% of internet users refuse to accept cookies if asked to opt in when visiting a website.

However 99.9% give consent if they are simply notified that a site uses cookies.

Maybe useful when deciding on what to do.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I've put Cookie Control on our sites - it's not too obtrusive, it's free and it seems to do the job.

I notice that most of my competition don't seem to have bothered.

(and neither have Schofields :wink:)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

That's nice Windy - very unobtrusive indeed and seems to tick all the boxes legally. It also works very well on my iPhone unlike the other solutions I've tried previously.
There is a WP plugin for it too :)
Marks

Post by Marks »

Who is going to police this totally unworkable piece of legislation?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Probably nobody, Marks, but seeing as it's about 5 minutes work to comply, and it shows you have a professional approach to the business, I took the unusual step (for me) of just doing it rather than whinging about it :wink: :wink:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) are policing it. I heard an interview with them on the radio a couple of months ago. They tried to put a positive spin on their job but I got the impression they think it's a waste of time too.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I'm not whinging just asking a question. How can this possibly be policed? There must be millions of EU based websites, just tracking down and enforcing one website owner to comply is going to take time and finance. And do visitors to websites actually give a fig? I don't, I just delete cookies every few days.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I didn't say you were whinging - I just said that I wasn't :wink:
How can this possibly be policed?
Well anyone at the ICO could go to any website that is not compliant and start proceedings. It would not be difficult (unless maybe they decided to try to police all websites that were in breach in which case they might need to become one of the UK's leading employers overnight - or they could get Group 4 to manage it - LOL.

Whether they would or should bother to police it is a moot point, but for 5 minutes work I've made sure I am on the right side of some daft legislation.
pambon

Post by pambon »

casasantoestevo wrote:We comply with The Spanish regulations.
We have for a number of years, but reading the replies or lack of) on this thread Expats in Spain could not give a monkeys.
viewtopic.php?t=12402
If you use a WP plugin could you not amend the wording?
Same here in Italy. I asked my webmaster about it and he wasn't worried but said he'd look into if I really wanted :shock:
pambon

Post by pambon »

Cookie Control site is now offline :cry:
Windy

Post by Windy »