Fires in the Algarve

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Topcat

Fires in the Algarve

Post by Topcat »

Are people aware of this?
http://www.algarvedailynews.com/news/70 ... el-regions

I hope no-one here is affected.

TC
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

First I have read about it, TC - it looks really bad. I am surprised it hasn't been on the news unless I have missed it.
I am glad to see Spain is helping out with the water aircraft.
Our guys have been doing a terrific job up here this year, really on the ball, so let's hope they can make some difference down there too.
I have been driving by those cork woods, what a terrible shame. The tree area will take years to recover, not to mention the loss of people's livelihood for generations.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

By news, sorry, I meant TV news coverage.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

There doesn't seem to have been much about it, FF. I only know because someone who lives on the Spanish side of the border posted it on another site I belong to.

He's posted some photos here:

http://visitayamonte.freeforums.org/for ... -t493.html

TC
tavi

Post by tavi »

Been all over the news in Portugal!

I drove home on Friday afternoon after doing a changeover under grey (smoke filled) skies with ash falling over everything.

The hill road I take (to avoid paying the toll) was dotted with fire engines, roadside occasional trees burnt to the ground still smouldering red hot ash, the valleys viewed from the car windows with little fires...where no-one was even trying to deal with it, because there were so many other problems, one roadside thicket of tall pines full of flames and smoke, with helicopter overhead about to dump a load of water.

All this is 25 km to the south of where it all started two days earlier.
What I saw was a TINY TINY example of the reality of a really horrendous fire. Poor people who've lost their livelihoods.

Yesterday they called in Army reinforcements and 4 more helicopters, planes from Spain and France - they finally declared it "under control" at 17.45 Saturday.

They say that Pego do Inferno (local beauty spot with waterfall and swimming creek) has been burnt to the ground.