sun cream in pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
sammyboy

sun cream in pool

Post by sammyboy »

Hi All, do any of you have a sign up asking guests to shower before getting in the pool or something like that?? I'm having a problem with my current guests with the dreaded sun cream floating on the surface, I don't wish to offend anyone but the pool has to been clean for the next guests !!
gite-poitou-charentes.co.uk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hmm, having this conversation recently with my sister who is terrified of her children burning in the pool after they have washed off the cream.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

we do but it rarely happens that they use the outdoor shower :? However just squirt a drop or two of washing up liquid (we use Fairy :D ) and it will miraculously rid you of the grease.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Helen, if your sister is that worried about the children, can't they wear a thin clean teeshirt or light weight jelly suit when
swimming ?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

She bought some special swimsuits, but one of the children has a skin condition which reacted to the fabric. She's a PITA when it comes to sun sometimes (but she is a red head).
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

..ah, that explains much, very difficult then.
A cotton teeshirt is probably best then, fresh one each time to wash out the chlorine and dust.
It is just the shoulders really that burn badly on the sensitively skinned fair/ red haired children in very hot sun and the pool can cause magnified reflection, so I can understand her worries, to be honest.
I know it a pain in the proverbial but the burn can hurt badly and spoil the child and parents holiday.. and scar the child for life.

A really good protector and not so bulky is a tight crop cotton tee shirt, even if mum cuts it herself. Crop it at chest level, less drag in the water. A water park/aqua park probably wouldn't allow it but a rental pool should,, especially if they shower first to get the dust off clothes.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

The special swimsuits will be the ones I call jelly suits probably - to keep sun off and also prevent jelly fish stings, very light weight and excellent for the MED and hot sun but yes, they are made from an artificial stretch fibre and could irritate a lot I should think and chaffe anyone with sensitve skin so not ideal for them.
sammyboy

Post by sammyboy »

our pool is indoors so getting burnt while in the pool is'nt a problem, our children are the same, they got badly burnt in no time one year in Malta , so lesson lerned there !!

mouse thanks for the tip, that should make life much easier !!
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I use the old shower gels & shampoos the guests leave, they are all the same, just clean the scumline with this & green pan scourers (teh soft ones as tiles can be scratched).

Sad thing is I accumulate gels faster than I use them - I must have 20 bottles, I'll donate the surplus to the kids home.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They had real problems when they tried to visit our local thermal baths. Even the jelly suits weren't acceptable, they're really strcit about things being proper swim wear, no swim shorts only speedos for men etc etc because of the hygiene issues regarding outdoor clothing being worn in the water.
AFter some discussion they were allowed to wear their suits though.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I installed a solar shower at the pool and ask guests to use it before going in the pool in the welcome notes.
99% of people don't :(
sammyboy

Post by sammyboy »

Hi LV, do you ever get any problems because of this? I don't want to be putting notices all around and it does seem that guests will do what they want anyway !!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

sammyboy wrote:Hi LV, do you ever get any problems because of this? I don't want to be putting notices all around and it does seem that guests will do what they want anyway !!
I don't put notices up for anything, I hate them. It is just mentioned in the welcome notes under the swimming pool section, which is possibly why no-one bothers with it as many people wouldn't have read it.
brendan

Post by brendan »

It´s nigh on impossible to get guests to be cream/oil free when they get in the pool. Also bear in mind that deodorants, hair gels and countless other toiletries are just as bad when it comes to chewing up your chlorine.

There are products out there, either in the shape of tablets for the filter or a liquid (weekly) treatment which are pretty effective when it comes to cleaning your water.

I´ve used a product called Goldenflok which is a weekly liquid (about 100 ml) additive. It´s relatively expensive. Recently I´ve changed to tablets called Clear Tabs which are aluminium sulphate and seem to be very effective and much cheaper.

Finally, when you backwash, give it welly and remeber to rinse well.

Hope this helps!