Reviews please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Mas Nialgue

Reviews please

Post by Mas Nialgue »

Would appreciate your comments!

http://masnialgue.promotemyplace.com/

Thanks

Steve
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

This is just really quick and off the cuff, Steve - I've not spent much time looking, I'm afraid - but the first thing that strikes me is that you're missing out big time by having that same header picture on all of your pages. It's so big that on my screen (normal laptop size) it takes up all the space above the fold, so you need to use it to really sell your property, by having fading images or at least different images for each page or set of pages with the same subject matter. The other thing is that because the header fills the 'above the fold' space I've no idea where in the site I am until I scroll down.

Personally I'm not a big fan of having people in photos either. I want to imagine myself in the property, and I can't do that if you're there instead.
Mas Nialgue

Post by Mas Nialgue »

Thanks, very useful, I didn't even know I could alter that! I'll do some rejigging later.

As I'm not there I have to use the pictures that I have, also no pictures of the living room/hall but I'm down on Thursday for a few days so will be rectifying that.
donafe

Post by donafe »

Hi Steve,

I don't think the blue font colour works very well. Try #2977C8 instead for example - much softer and it's the same as the headings.

I am not sure how much control over the layout you have. The main content div of the site should be centred. Maybe there too many items in the horizontal menu that makes it to stick out on the right? Since you have an option to create drop-down menus – may be you can move some of the top level menu items?

The bottom picture on the main page is not positioned well – there should be some margin left on the right.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I personally do not like the “off the peg” websites, but I do understand why some folks use them to get the business going.
My comments about content;
Photos. The main heading photo looks as if you have just finished cleaning the pool. Maybe take another one with mor activity...say someone swimming or diving in and remove the pump.
On the “photos page” I would suggest removing some of the least interesting ones. Like cutting the meadow or meadows from upper lawn. Nice Jag BTW
Under Availability page. The information is confusing and maybe off putting. Are you a B&B or not? Maybe run two different websites.
Under Rates. Read the above. Ensure all your rates are showing. As a customer why should I book anything if I have to send several emails, just to enquire about something quite trivial?
Links. One of the yoga pages is under construction the other is somewhere which is competition for you as they also do a vacation rental. I would question the validity of those.

I have found some errors, like missing photos and things linked to below. Maybe they were meant to have been removed??
http://masnialgue.promotemyplace.com/Vi ... -share.gif
http://masnialgue.promotemyplace.com/Up ... ropped.jpg
http://masnialgue.promotemyplace.com/Up ... 12_007.JPG
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Mas Nialgue

Post by Mas Nialgue »

Thanks for your feedback and time.

I have changed the header pictures to rotate as suggested and changed the font colour (also mentioned by a graphic designer friend) too. Can't do anything about the pictures being right justified with no margin.

I'd rather have more pictures than less - they can choose which ones they want to see in more detail and I'll be taking some more when I'm there later this week, eg living room & hall.

I see how the B&B/SCR may be confusing, it is complex, but I have tried to be crystal clear and can all be enquired for in one mail. Also tried to simplify by just having one rate for B&B.

Deleted the link to the site under construction (well spotted,) the other is a friend of mine who offers occasional yoga retreat holidays to various destinations which will include my place in due course. I don't really consider that competition as hers are very much for individuals joining her yoga group rather than people looking for SCR or B&B.

Thanks again.

Steve
Circé

Post by Circé »

The kitchen bin is unfortunately the star feature of your kitchen photos - 'twould have been better to have moved it out of sight
Jo Taylor

Post by Jo Taylor »

'Accommodation' is spelled wrongly - it should have a double 'm'.
january

Post by january »

I have changed the header pictures to rotate as suggested and changed the font colour (also mentioned by a graphic designer friend) too. Can't do anything about the pictures being right justified with no margin.
why cant you do anything about the photo borders, it looks terrible as it is...like someone cut the photo in half.

The header photo is way,way too large, takes up around 75% of my screen height.