trampoline warning

For anything to do with the garden and pool
barbersdrove

trampoline warning

Post by barbersdrove »

2 lively children arrived yesterday and ran straight into the garden to play on the zip wire and trampoline. having a really good time when wham! the 4 yr old fell straight through the safety netting that appears to be perished though wasn't showing any signs of being fragile. Indeed my own grandson had spent ages on it just the day before. So this is by way of a warning really to check your netting regulalry.

i've had to put it our of bounds which is a big big shame until we can get it replaced.

Thankfully he wasn't hurt and is an adventurous soul anyway but it could have been quite different.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Leslie May

Post by Leslie May »

-
Last edited by Leslie May on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

One of the children staying here (4 yr old) slipped underneath the security net of the tramploline here yesterday and fell off. I still wouldn't be without it, though, as it is very popular.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I bought one for my kids this summer with idea of introducing it next year for the gites. I decided to get 4mtr trampoline without a security net, i thought they would play safer without a sense of security & knowing the way they play the net wouldnt last long.
Im thinking of buying the same one for guests next year & digging a pit for it, any thoughts?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have to replace my net every 2 years, but I wouldn't have a trampoline without one. I don't think the parents of the children who stay here would be happy either.
I've never heard of building a pit for a trampoline, but I suppose it would be safer than a normal one without a net.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

When i was younger (many moons ago) i remember going on tampolines that were ground level with a pit underneath, quite a bit if digging though!
Ill get some feedback from guests but maybe a net is the way to go
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I remember those too from when I was a kid! They were in a pit, as you say, with sand underneath...so basically you were bouncing at ground level.

I also saw on a gardening programme last week someone who did it that way to minimise the impact it would have on the view...looked quite cool.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Would you need a retaining wall in the pit, Bassman? If so, it's a lot of work.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Gyms for gymnasts always do this, just make sure you have it deep enough for the really heavy person that will eventually get on it so they don't bottom out on the ground... ouch.

Over here (US) sometimes the insurance companies have problems with trampolines even at personal homes, I don't think we could ever have one in a rental though children love them!

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I have an unused metal pool wall the same diameter which i may be able to use as a retaining wall but as you say LV it is a lot of work. It would look good though if its done well.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I wouldn't be without my net - when I first started here I had a 4m trampoline with no net (they didn't exist then) - a little girl fell off and badly broke her arm (bones sticking out and a subsequent operation at the local hospital) - they came back the following year :shock: and the mother hugged me when she saw that I had installed a net.

A pit sounds like a good idea, but you'd have to be careful about the gap between the edges of the pit and the trampoline - could be almost as dangerous as no net on a normal height one :?
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

well, can't get a new net until the new year according to the suppliers as they have cancelled some of their orders due to the bad summer we've been having. OH wants to do a bodge job with garden netting and plastic ties and he is a problem solver so I think it will work but I'm for replacing the whole thing as the mat will go next and the mat surround is already looking a bit worn and green. Need to sleep on it I think and check out the prices on e-bay as the replacement net is nearly £60 if they so manage to source one.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Why don't you try http://www.alltrampolines.com/ - I managed to get net, cushions and bounce mat from them for my old TP model, which TP had discontinued - they were very helpful!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

have found one on e-bay, new, still in the box and only £20 and better still, just up the road would you believe! :D