Grass length?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Mouse

Grass length?

Post by Mouse »

OK, this is a new one on me...checking guests in to a villa which has a lawn - only to be told that the grass was too long and she was fearful her small child would trip up.

I thought it was fine, but I have to admit grass isn't on my radar.

I dragged the 'gardener' out to get it mowed and the guest was happy - but what length should it be? Should it always be right to the ground?
The person responsible seemed to think it was fine and thought the guests were being unreasonable...but clearly the guest wasn't impressed, maybe it's because there were toddlers and that makes a difference?
I need to know for future and also because there was a call out charge involved.

thanks
Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Marks

Post by Marks »

For real? Or this is a beach too sandy, the pool water too wet moment? :lol:

I guess if it was a foot long then maybe an issue but two or three inches, surely not a problem, but then I don't have any small people and know if they are likely to trip over a blade of grass.

Methinks guest is being a bit precious but others will no doubt have other views.
Last edited by Marks on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Marks wrote: Methinks guest is being a bit precious but others will not doubt have other views.
For once (?) I agree with you. I've never heard anything quite as barking mad as that.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yip - for real Marks.

It was about an inch and half long to my inexperienced eye.

It seems to have been a season full of precious children :roll:

Mouse
x
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Oh gosh don't you just love them!

I had never measured ours with a ruler but in the interests of this thread I have just done so. :lol:

It is due a cut and ranges between 2 and 5" long, so it looks scruffy but it is not a "tripping" hazard.

So between 1 and 2" perhaps 3" is fine I would suggest. If you cut it too short - say below 1", then it will not survive the prolonged dry weather unless you watered it. Of course this will vary from country to country and types of grass. Over 6" I would suggest would make the tripping hazard she suggests, which I suspect bears no resemblance to your actual length. :roll:

I am also assuming that you don't expect your lawn to look like a bowling green or a Wimbledon tennis court.......
Marks

Post by Marks »

la vache! wrote: For once (?) I agree with you.
I'll take that as a compliment :wink:
Mouse wrote:It was about an inch and half long to my inexperienced eye.
There's a smutty joke there but I'm saying nothing......
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

:lol: :lol:

Oh go on...I could do with a laugh!

Mouse (actually laughing at the thought of Nemo on her knees measuring the lawn with a ruler :lol: )
x
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Mouse wrote: Mouse (actually laughing at the thought of Nemo on her knees measuring the lawn with a ruler :lol: )
x
Thank you Mousie.....all in a days work of catering to our guests every need......or should that be whim....... :lol:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Marks wrote:For real? Or this is a beach too sandy, the pool water too wet moment? :lol:
It definitely is isn't it? Make this no 21 on the list...... :roll:
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Mouse wrote: It was about an inch and half long
How do you trip over short grass?? :roll: Just how small was the child?? :roll: :)
Lounging on the lily pad...
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

greenfrog wrote:
How do you trip over short grass?? :roll: Just how small was the child?? :roll: :)
Fairy sized clearly and just toooo precious..... :roll:
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Nemo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Fairy sized clearly and just toooo precious..... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lounging on the lily pad...
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Come on, Mousie, you're winding us all up :!:

Aren't you?????????????? :shock: :lol: :lol:

I've just been outside to see if I can manage to trip over my grass (this is me who frequently trips over things that aren't even there), which is mostly the same length as Nemo's, but in some places (shock! horror!!) it's much longer as we leave bits of our ground wild. AND it's Not Level.

Conclusion: grass is not trippable overable.

Is it full moon :?: :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

French Cricket wrote:this is me who frequently trips over things that aren't even there
So pleased it isn't just me. In September of my first season I tripped over the end of a length of washing line which was lying on the ground and landed face down on my elbows. Broke both of them instantly. Luckily it was near the end of the season.
Or maybe it was the grass that the washing line was lying in that tripped me you :roll:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Oh LV :shock: I'm shuddering with horror as I read that, not just out of sympathy with you but also because it's exactly the kind of thing I imagine myself doing.

On my first day at school I tripped over an apple core in the playground and broke my arm :roll: :oops:.

The answer is clear. Washing lines and apples must be banned.