To install Pool heating or not?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Anne Tarrant

To install Pool heating or not?

Post by Anne Tarrant »

Do you find that Pool heating extends your Booking period? Can you recoup the costs ( including running costs) in your letting rates?
We have a 9mx4.5m semi-above ground outdoor Pool in Deux-Sevres - would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Having pool heating has definitely brought us some shoulder bookings. We charge and extra €150 for heating which covers the cost of running it for a week. That is our only extra charge.
Anne Tarrant

Post by Anne Tarrant »

Sorry - should have mentioned that we have 3 gites on site - so charging for heating would be 'almost' impossible to implement fairly.Do other LMH's charge? Would be interested to hear.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't charge for my heated pool and being in Brittany if the pool wasn't heated it would be unusable except for a couple of months. Having a heated pool available from April to Nov makes my season longer - but that is only because of the abri. The pool wouldn't be above 21°C in October or April without it and that is not nice (unless you are Enid).
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

We have had a heated pool for a few years now and it has extended our season into the shoulder months. We only run it APRIL start to end October , and not in the peak months in between , obviously.
We also charge a supplement due the the never ending electricity
rises here in Spain -£38 per week - heating is optional. I have two houses but they are not let to separate families so it is not difficult to implement. I think perhaps I should charge more in view of the third electricity utility bills this year alone plus having seen Bellywobble's charge. It is after all, optional.
For those not wanting it, there is a daisy cover which if placed on the pool at night retains a lot of the daytime heat.
It is not the cost of the heating but the running of the pool pump continually that pushes the price up.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

So, a worthwhile investment in upgrading our facilities but not one that will, I suspect, have much impact on early/late season bookings.
Just had an inquiry for mid-October (getting coolish here by then), asking if the pool would be sufficiently warm for two swimming-mad children. We explained that the heater/blanket combo would do its best, but ambient temperature would be the determining factor and we would have no control over that.

Result? They booked. Without an advertised pool heater, I don't imagine they would have considered our property. Maybe I was being a bit negative in my quote above. But, as always, just be honest.
Last edited by Jimbo on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jim
brendan

Post by brendan »

What´s an abri cover?
enid

Post by enid »

The pool wouldn't be above 21°C in October or April without it and that is not nice (unless you are Enid).
I haven't swum below that for a few years because we got a pool heater! This year I have no pool ad all the pools I have borrowed haven't been heated but the weather has been so goo it hasn't mattered. I wanted the pool heater for me and although I am sure it did attract some shoulder bookings it's a big investment so needs careful thinking about.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

we installed pool heating late this spring and although I don't have much working experience with it and no feedback from guests I have noticed an uptick in shoulder enquiries.
I am learning how to manage expectations as a 28 degrees pool temp in April early May is never going to happen not where we are anyways.
We used to be listed with a local agent who told us that the few houses she managed with pool heating got the most shoulder bookings by far even if other houses were more comfortable or attractive.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

We have been letting our property for 8 seasons now. We have a large house so it has been a struggle to get bookings after the summer when schools go back, other than by taking smaller groups at reduced occupancy rates, or by accepting longer lets. We're in SW France, and September is still wonderful so it has been frustrating. However, this year (the second post pool heating) we are fully booked for September and have had an enquiry for October.

Maybe a couple of bookings showing already on the availability calendar encouraged others to book ie it's a fluke, but certainly most people who book have seen that we provide pool heating and I am sure this helped swing the balance if they were shortlisting other properties in the area too.

Whatever, this has covered the cost of installation. :) (We opted for a pool pump.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

We are in south Charente and been letting for over 15 yrs and for the last 12 have had the pool heated. It does help not only to get those shoulder bookings but gives you an edge on non-heated pool properties, and ours costs zero € to run - its solar.
What would Plato do ?
Roger de Flor

Post by Roger de Flor »

bornintheuk wrote:We are in south Charente and been letting for over 15 yrs and for the last 12 have had the pool heated. It does help not only to get those shoulder bookings but gives you an edge on non-heated pool properties, and ours costs zero € to run - its solar.
Hi Bornintheuk! I am thinking also of installing solar heating. May I ask you how big is your pool and how many squared metres of solar panels do you have? How much can you extend the swiming season?

Sorry, I know it´s lots of questions but if you have time I will appreciate it :)
Catalonia is not spain!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

All I know about solar heating is that severl guests who have stayed here and have previously stayed in a place with a solar heated pool all said it was like swimming in an unheated pool.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

la vache! wrote:All I know about solar heating is that severl guests who have stayed here and have previously stayed in a place with a solar heated pool all said it was like swimming in an unheated pool.
Having replaced several heat pump systems with a correctly designed solar heating system over the last 12 years I think I can safely say that solar heating works. And all of our guests have enjoyed the heated pool.
What would Plato do ?
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

LV wrote:
All I know about solar heating is that severl guests who have stayed here and have previously stayed in a place with a solar heated pool all said it was like swimming in an unheated pool.

Many of our guests this year said the same, saying the pools were unusable for them.
We have a heat pump & this year i have had the pool at a min of 28°C in May & min of 29°C from June till now.
The feedback has been excellent & our repeat bookings have doubled.
I found the heat pump easy to install & there prices has dropped over last few years