Do You Need Reviews?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.

Do You Need Reviews

YES
40%
NO
60%

Total votes: 35

apexblue

Do You Need Reviews?

Post by apexblue »

We have 1 review (5/5) on one rental and none on the others and have no problem getting all booked out 30 to 40 weeks pa. So are reviews necessary?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I voted no, though I have them on my own website, not many people go to view them. I don't have them on my paid sites and I don't seem to have a problem renting with out them...

I must admit I like reading them though about places I'm going to stay, but won't not stay someplace if they don't have them.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I voted no - 8 years trading and no 'official' reviews. Always fully booked.

It may change - but for now, no one seems to care, or if they do it's at the tail end of a long list of requirements that our property already ticks for them.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Like the others, I've voted "No". We've been renting out the house for nearly 10 years now, and we have no official reviews at all.
We average 38-42 weeks booked p.a.

However, I do worry a little that it may get to the point where people will not countenance staying somewhere that is not on TripAdvisor, so I am a little nervous. We are about to launch our new website and I am trying to make more of a feature of our Guest Book. http://legaillon.weebly.com/reviews.html
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I voted yes, but it is because I am one of hundreds of gite complexes (I hate that term!) and having good reviews helps make your property stand out from the others.
I must say that in the last month many people are saying that they found me on Trip Advisor which I'm not sure I believe as I am not listed with them. But reviews are definitely more important now than a couple of years ago.
peyre blanque

Yes man

Post by peyre blanque »

I'm a yes: our own website analytics show the reviews page is viewed only second to the home page. I see them as essential...but then I'm only a beginner at this game. Having said that I run a business and know that prospective customers almost always want the reassurance of 'someone who's been there before.
declanja

Post by declanja »

I have voted yes. Guests have told me that our positive reviews helped them choose our apartment. I also think it helps prospective guests feel more sure that we are genuine owners but have no proof of that! Declan
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

and know that prospective customers almost always want the reassurance of 'someone who's been there before
but clearly there's many that don't when you have people posting on the thread saying they get bookings without reviews.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

I often have people tell me that they read my guest comments on my website and that they swung it in our favour, so I always try to get current reviews

Sandra
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Sandra,
I think the reviews being referred to here mean TripAdvisor or similar. I voted No, but like you, I have many guest comments and yes, I feel those types of review are absolutely very important.
theoharis

Reviews essential

Post by theoharis »

I voted yes because as a traveller myself I find reviews extremely useful.
I have had discussions with our guests and they told me that the good reviews they read on the listing sites were very important in choosing us.
So trying to get guests to write a review for their stay is an integral part of our guest handling.

In a increasingly competitive environment unless you are extremely cheap, you will need the good reviews to be able to attract higher paying guests and stay ahead of the competition.

Theoharis
gozokerry

Post by gozokerry »

It's a yes from me :D
Always when we are travelling we check the reviews on TA and Booking.com and we have had guests who asked during the booking process (and before we had TA reviews) if there was any reviews anywhere.
But it is obvious that sometimes reviews are not essential, our first few bookings were without the benefit of reviews.Maybe if your site looks professional, there are plenty of images and you are a little bit unique then there are still enough potential guests.
Kerry

As Hamlet said ;-"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"