Multi-language site using Weebly

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Normandy Cow

Multi-language site using Weebly

Post by Normandy Cow »

Has anyone managed to create a multi-language site using Weebly?

I have just about finished the English version and want to translate it into French and Dutch. I think I understand how to copy the site into the two other language versions, but I am struggling to work out how I can add 3 little flags to the top of the home page that can each be linked to the relevant language versions.

If anyone's done it, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

NC, you can't actually do it within the one site because you can't elect to have some links showing on some pages and not on others. It's one downside of Weebly.

I've got round it by having my English language site on my dot com domain name and my French site on my dot fr domain name. I think the same thing would work with a subdomain though I'm not sure. I wrote the English site first, then copied the site in its entirety to get the same structure, changed all the page titles and meta stuff, then deleted the English text and replaced it with my French text. Then I just put a flag on the index page of each to link to the other language site ) just a small gif file.

Actually I'm quite happy having the two domain names as I suspect they carry different weight in different search areas.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

FC, that is exactly what I want to do! (ie 3 websites on 3 domains).

But I am having trouble inserting 3 little flags (about the size of your French one) in a row...

Am I missing something? It seems you can only have one picture per row, unless you insert them as a PhotoGallery - but when I tried that, it expanded all my little images to giant sizes.

I'm sure it must be possible... :?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Oh yes, I see what you mean NC. Can you still use the photo gallery widget and resize it to very small, I wonder? Hang on - I'll go and play!

I'm back, and yes you can. I set up a small - about 3 or 4 cm wide - column using the column widget, then dragged a photo gallery into it. Then I added my 3 flag icons (I have the famfamfam set downloaded on my pc) et voilà - you have your 3 flags in a row. Link them to the page you want them to go to and you're good to go.

Does that make sense? It's easier to do than to explain!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks for your help FC!

I've now more or less completed my English site, and added the 3 flags at the top, like you suggested.

I linked them to 3 different sites:
www.Normandygite.weebly.com
www.frNormandygite.weebly.com
www.nlNormandygite.weebly.com

I then copied the original site to the two new ones (they took about 30 seconds each). So I now have three identical websites, I just(!) need to translate them! (Will only have minimum text on the french and dutch one, will let the pictures do the talking.

I LOVE WEEBLY!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Brilliant! Looks great NC;

BTW did you know that the link in your signature and the 'www' link go to an unpublished site - presumably the one you used as the base?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks FC, have now fixed!