shortbreaks.com - unknown site listing our properties

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
harcourtv57

shortbreaks.com - unknown site listing our properties

Post by harcourtv57 »

Having read the thread on Retreats Direct I recently had a rather odd booking request (through our website) asking about pets and saying that our listing on Shortbreaks.com said we accepted pets (which we don't).

This website means nothing to me, so I checked and lo and behold all three of our properties are on there - one of which we have not rented out for more than 2 years. It looks genuine so I assumed that although a paid site, it might have been a freebie that I listed with a few years ago - but then noticed that some of the details on the listings are more recent and the pricing is incorrect. I have tried to login as an owner but it won't let me! So I have sent two test e-mails to myself, neither of which have arrived! This looks like a UK only site so does anyone else know anything about them or list with them?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I can't help you harcourt, but had a quick look at the site. It appears to have been around for a few years according to their blurb, but it's quite expensive for a small site. I'd be emailing the customer service people if I were you to see if you get any response. Can you add the name of the site to the thread heading, so it is more obvious for anyone when searching?

Just checked and the harcourt property has a live link that takes you direct to your website?
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks Nemo - I will contact them but was investigating just to make sure its not a site we listed with as a freebie when it first started up so as not to look stupid! - we certainly don't pay to list! and my concern is if both of my test e-mails haven't arrived then where have any other enquirers e-mails gone? Its only because the enquirer clicked through to our website and then contacted me direct that I became aware of it. And also the pics shown have been taken from our website and are not those that we generally use on our other listings. . . .
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

harcourt, did you get hold of these people? We've just had a "like" from them on our Facebook page, so I went to their website for a look and to double check (again!) that they hadn't lifted our information; not yet, but I did see yours still there.

Anyone else had a "Like" from them?

They do seem to have some dodgy information, including a place a few miles from us which is shown as being 1 bedroom, 0 bathroom, sleeping 1, priced from £1600 - £3000 pw! It's actually 5 bed, 5 bath, sleeps 10-12; they did get the pricing about right though.....
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Could be a scam attempt? Show (stolen) pictures of wonderful properties (that they don't own), get bookings, but then vanish with the money....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

harcourt - as I mentioned before, I would change the title of this thread to include shortbreaks.com as only you or Paolo can change it? That way it will come up higher in search results. It's always worth a higher profile if they are a dodgy site or using dodgy tactics and helps us all. :)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Harborfields wrote:Could be a scam attempt? Show (stolen) pictures of wonderful properties (that they don't own), get bookings, but then vanish with the money....
I don't think it's a scam - they don't take any money, and there are genuine links to owners' websites.

I suspect it's a case of harvesting information to make their site look more attractive for potential business from owners. We've all seen that going on too many times; no doubt the sites believe they're doing the owners whose properties they list (without their permission) a favour by giving them a free listing and advertising. The fact that many owners resent having their information stolen and transcribed into an inaccurate and misleading advertisement probably passes them by.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I agree. The people who do this generally also have no consideration for Google's duplicate text penalties. It's happened to us a few times and bugs the hell out of me. I have allowed a couple to stay up as they rewrote the text.

Emails not arriving is a red flag for sure though. They're definitely not in your junk folder?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Martha wrote: Emails not arriving is a red flag for sure though. They're definitely not in your junk folder?
This is why I raised the scam question.

The fact that there are links through to the true owner's website could just be due to ineptitude on the part of the scammer in copying the listing.
harcourtv57

Shortbreaks.com listing our properties without permission

Post by harcourtv57 »

well I phoned and someone just answered 'Hello' - no company name as I would expect from a professional company. I asked who I was speaking to and apparently it was Leon (who is on their list of staff on the about shortbreaks section of their website).

I explained that I was a holiday property owner and that it had been brought to my attention that some of our properties were listed on their site. That I was very concerned as we have never to my knowledge advertised with them, so would like an explanation of how they got our details and why they were listed.

Leon seemed a bit flustered and said that he couldn't help and that the person who could help was in a meeting and would phone me back. So I gave contact details and am waiting to hear . . . . .
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Hi Nemo

I've tried to change the title of the thread, don't know what I am doing wrong as I can't seem to get it to work?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It's worked now! :wink:

So it's a two bit site working out of someones living room by the sound of it! Shame because it looks quite good and it's a good domain name. Not the way to achieve a successful site though......alienating from the outset, owners such as ourselves.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

They are in fact this company of web designers, with a large enough portfolio to suggest that they should have a reasonable understanding of copyright.

I'll be interested to see how this develops.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

The trick for listing sites as much as for booking agents is to have a large selection of lets on offer.

However simply lifting them is, certainly, not the answer. It seems to follow the belief that the only relationship that matters is between potential guests and the selling site.

This is absolutely wrong. The key to success is a strong and developed relationship with owners and operators and, hopefully, an equally strong goodwill in the marketplace of guests.

Dedication to working for cottage operators is vital. Simply lifting information and treating them as little more than free product to make a margin out of is a very poor way to start a business.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

He didn't ask me which properties they were either . . . . .