Would you turn this booking down?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
A-two

Post by A-two »

debk wrote:"I have to admit that we are concerned about your booking. As I've mentioned, our neighborhood is extremely quiet and our neighbors know to call us at any hour if they are inconvenienced by our guests. I know that our no-party clause may seem a bit draconian but we are very serious about immediate termination and loss of all funds. Please do not rent our property if you have any plans for parties, loud arrivals at 5am after a night of Lisbon's famed nightlife, etc.... you deserve a place that you can enjoy and ours would only ruin that type of vacation. If, however, you are looking for a peaceful haven after a day of enjoying Lisbon, the house may be perfect for you."

Perfect Debk, I'll use large chunks of this if you don't mind. In NY, we have to create a tenancy for each booking, executing a valid lease for each week we rent, sledgehammer to crack nut situation. Eviction procedure is equally cumbersome and not practical for our purposes, but the above sets the right tone for respecting the rules.

However, I am going to do some more digging on this because I recently discovered that a particular Landlord Tenant Law (unrelated to this topic), does not apply to rentals under 100 days. That may be an anomoly, or there may be more I don't know. Some US states have special laws for vacation rentals, I think VA is one of them, but the 100 day rule is the first I've heard of anything like that in NY, and I do have an attorney handle the legal side.

Still playing phone tag with the subject of this thread. My last email said, "I do have concerns about the birthday dinner as we are not covered for larger groups or functions. I would need to know more before I could say whether or not insurance would be an issue. I presume you own your own home?" (US Homeowners insurance covers them for vacation rentals) To which she responded, "We do own several homes and autos, and I am sure insurance is not an issue for us." Hmmm......if she owns so many homes, why does she need ours? Can't help thinking it's because she wants to keep it closer to home so more of her friends can make it to the party.....

P.S. Please send your gorgeous husband to help... :-)
jess

Post by jess »

off topic, sorry---

Joanna, you sound very knowing--- can you point me to good beginner sites fro renting a VR in NY? It'd be in a differnt county than yours (Herkimer), but I'm sure a great deal of the basics would be the same.

Or if you have any info you could send me?

We're just starting out on this front, although we do own/manage two long term rentals, so we think we can hadle it...

I'd appreciate any and all help you could give....

Thanks
jess
A-two

Post by A-two »

jess wrote:can you point me to good beginner sites fro renting a VR in NY? It'd be in a differnt county than yours (Herkimer), but I'm sure a great deal of the basics would be the same.
Hi Jess,
[off-topic reply]
Happy to help, and yes, the legal and tax aspects of VR are the same for everyone in NY who is renting 1 to 4 family houses, except Manhattan. Not sure what you mean by good beginner sites? Can we move this discussion offlist? Just click my website link below, then click "contact us" in the top menu bar, or feel free to phone. My number is on the rates & terms page at the bottom.

P.S; [On-topic update]. Long chat on phone with the birthday girl. I was far too chicken to threaten eviction with someone who sounded so nice, but suggested she take everyone to a restaurant if numbers start to creep up. She had not thought of this idea and has now asked me to send her all the local restaurant info with recommendations. Gees, this booking is hard work.... :roll:
debk

Post by debk »

Congrats, Joanna. Sometimes it is a bit nerve-wracking... but the guests are great. (most anyway)

Happy bookings!
debk
A-two

Post by A-two »

update - I lost the booking from this person. She was taking her time to make a decision, so I knew it didn't look good, and in the end has declined, thanking me for all my hard work on her behalf, but deciding to go for an alternative. She would love to rent the house next year when it's only for their family, so obviously the numbers were going to be a problem and I'm happy with the outcome. Since we parted friends, I'm sure she will return or at least recommend us if the opportunity arises.
debk

Post by debk »

Congrats, Joanna. It actually sounds like the perfect ending, all the way around. Happy Easter,
debk