Well done Windy! VE finally get tough on rating claims.

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Well done Windy! VE finally get tough on rating claims.

Post by greenbarn »

Well Halleluyaaaaaaaaah!

Some of us will know that Windy has been something of a thorn in the side (and other bits) of Visit England about their lack of interest in places fraudulently claiming to have VE Star ratings, or displaying them after they've lapsed. It all seemed to fall on deaf ears, but here's some news from VE.

Trading Standards support for VisitEngland quality drive
Last Updated: 10 Oct 2012
VisitEngland has secured the ongoing support of the UK’s lead Trading Standards officer for Holidays and Travel. Working alongside VisitEngland and Quality in Tourism, Bruce Treloar is pivotal to VisitEngland's refocused drive to eradicate improper display of its quality marque and stars outside properties and on websites, including third party websites.

Treloar now works closely with the office team at Quality in Tourism, who are responsible for following up with properties that have lapsed from the scheme and yet continue to display the VisitEngland scheme logo. He has re-drafted all the letters that are sent out to reinforce the seriousness of the breach of the CPRs (Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations) and is contacting Trading Standards direct when the business owner refuses to co-operate. By preparing the evidence and cases for the local Trading Standards team, and often talking to officers directly, the success rate has improved dramatically.

Recent examples include:
Tracking down the publisher of a third party website that was displaying a VisitEngland logo for a lapsed property and getting it removed.
Discussion with Cumbria Trading Standards, which led to confirmation that a lapsed business cannot continue to display VisitEngland signage alongside the date of the most recent assessment. Once participation has lapsed the logo must be removed, as this practice is deemed to mislead consumers.
Ongoing support for a case where a consumer was booked out to a different serviced apartment block of considerably inferior quality than the one promoted on the website.
Support for a participant who has complained that a VisitEngland competitor is using a photo of his adjoining property to promote their own. Local Trading Standards, after contact from Treloar, agreed this breached the CPRs and the photo has been removed from the website.
Another case was successfully resolved when the local Trading standards team confirmed that a lapsed participant could not continue to use an exterior image in their promotional material (website or print) that showed any VisitEngland signage, even though the signage had been removed.
Many cases of improper use of VisitEngland signage have been successfully resolved, without the need for a prosecution. In Scotland, Trading Standards recently secured an order at Inverness Sheriff Court against Ali Raza Mohamed, owner of the Highlander B+B in Ardconnel Street and Highlander Hostel in High Street, Inverness. He was found on more than one occasion to be falsely claiming membership of VisitScotland’s quality assurance scheme. Meanwhile, in Wales, hotel owner Emyr Davies was ordered to remove illegitimately displayed signage and AA ratings, with Trading Standards ultimately pursuing court action that led to Davies being fined close to £12,000.

Scheme participants who spot examples of improper signage are strongly encouraged to come forward and report such incidences to Quality in Tourism, either by telephoning 0845 300 6996 or emailing qualityintourism @uk.g4s.com.
So good news for those of us who use the scheme honestly, good news for the guests who may not be misled any more by false claims on websites, and good news for the whole industry whether or not owners choose to be part of the scheme.

Of course, before running up the bunting and breaking open a bottle in celebration, it's probably worth waiting to see how much is hot air and how much is action, but at least there's a statement of intent rather than a shrug.
CSE

Post by CSE »

arrrrrr but I have a question; Does everyone know it's Windy?
:lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm sure Windy would be the first to say that he has not been in thorn in VE's backside for the accompanying fame and glory, but for the end result. :wink:

Well done Windy.......let's hope it more than scratches the surface; and all you who participate in the scheme - get reporting!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

casasantoestevo wrote:arrrrrr but I have a question; Does everyone know it's Windy?
Probably not - but I do! :wink:

Windy being the shy, retiring type, I've probably embarrassed him now.......
Windy

Post by Windy »

LOL - no I'm still in shock that the quangoids at VE actually seem to have woken up to this issue at last.

Last time I was in contact with them they had just rewarded a local listing site which was incorrectly displaying star ratings with a puff piece in their magazine.

I can't claim much, if any, credit, although I did get my teeth metaphorically into a couple of the more useless staff members at VE. Not that it has any visible effect until now. They have to be the most complacent bunch I have ever dealt with,

in the end it is too little to late for me. We decided not to continue with a scheme that was so open to abuse in April this year. As of yesterday we are ahead of last year's value bookings in the lodge that was 4 * rated by them, so we don't seem to have lost out by doing so and my stress levels are reduced as don't have to waste time dealing with smug idiots. (Well not these particular ones anyway)

I'm afraid I also left Cumbria Tourism in October as well as I couldn't justify spending £150 on what they were achieving for me either. I felt a bit more guilty about that one and might possibly rejoin if they get their act together a bit more in future.

I am still in EASCO and will continue to support their efforts as they do a sterling job for us all.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Yay well done John..... 8) :D

Greenbarn wrote:
casasantoestevo wrote:arrrrrr but I have a question; Does everyone know it's Windy?
Probably not - but I do! :wink:
Thats good enuff for me :D

as well as you 2 being a couple of my fave chaps on here as well :wink:

TC Rosxx
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Well done. Hope you have forwarded on email to fraudster flouting the star system.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Now he dances with joy!
http://youtu.be/0Ul7sYUGvbg

Well done for the winning the battle against bureaucracy.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Windy

Post by Windy »

OI!

Not enough hair and too much tummy (just)

Nice tie though :wink: