Is this the most expensive UK 2-bed country cottage?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
bentisdall

Is this the most expensive UK 2-bed country cottage?

Post by bentisdall »

Apparently the owner is a travel writer (hence all the press in the glossies) but £1400 still an impressive weekly rate for a 2 bed cottage even if it is 'practically perfect in every way' Actually a bit overdone for my taste.

http://www.moorlandviewcottage.co.uk/
pete

Post by pete »

hopefully the owners live in the other half of the semi !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Very impressive rate especially for a semi. :wink:

Yes, very nice, as you say not everyone's taste; just goes to show that good marketing etc goes a long way! I also see they offer short breaks all year round. If people are prepared to pay that, then good luck to them. :)

It reminds me (externally that is) of the cottage used in the film "The Holiday" with Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet. Anyone else seen that?
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I believe that the cottage in The Holiday was purpose built for the film set and has now been demolished. A lot of the film was made in a Surrey village not far from where we live.
Fleur
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

The master bedroom looks like a bordello!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

It's an interesting example in how to severely limit your market by imposing a particular taste (or lack of - stellar mirror, anyone?) onto your guests. All expensive stuff, but.......

If it works for the owner then they must know their own niche market very well, and can price accordingly. Footballers, perhaps?

As Nemo says, it shows what can be done with marketing.

ps - Sue, I'll have to take your word on the bedroom looking like a bordello.
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

I love it and want to take my hubby there!! Beautifully decorated in my opinion but I would be afraid to let it out if it was my cottage.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I would be afraid to sit down in some of those chairs! Very artfully done and photographed but too twee for me. Must be to someone's taste and budget as the first month without a booking is Nov 2013!
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Stunning! truly can be advertised as a luxury rental... so many claim it but this one looks like it delivers.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Wow!

Even the sink full of dishes looks pretty. :lol:
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Yes I was attracted to that picture too! Never thought you could make the washing up look inviting - great photography!!!
tavi

Post by tavi »

wow. love the website, so functional as well as chic.

found myself wanting to stay there - even though there's too many shiny fabrics and wall papers for my taste.

My LMHat off to them for sheer marketing...whether or not it's worth paying those rates I have no idea.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

The interiors could go out of fashion quite quickly are rather fussy and, perhaps, a little too female for some men. They seem to be trying a bit too hard.

They may sell well now but unless changed quite radically, they could look very dated in a few years' time. It is not the sort of 'safe style' that tends to be a more certain long term bet for holiday lets, although it is clearly appreciated by many.

Not my cup of tea.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
half pint

Post by half pint »

sitting room looks small to me four people in there would be climbing over each other to get in and out. But must say the photographs are superb and for a romantic retreat I would book (although not at that price).
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Have you ever heard of clients who will not book because a place is too cheap......? That's a niche market for you!

I agree with lots of the practical comments mentioned here although I do really like the "essentials" mentioned on the website (plus the quality of photos although there are not enough of them) and by the extras like access to a local country club...
For those who want to walk their dog on the moors they can still do so by using the local kennels. Don't know I would do it myself but I am sure it attracts more than one especially as it is probably cheaper than a London based Kennel. This is definitely yuppie orientated but well done.