Is this the most expensive UK 2-bed country cottage?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I guess there are two things at play here, aren't there? (in addition to quality of property, etc.) Price and marketing.

If someone is a bit on the expensive side, they can still make it work if they market the property really well.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Well it's marketed on the usual HR and OD sites...so nothing new there.
A friend (who is in to the buying psychology side of things) tells me that a) people think paying the highest price is a sign they get the best place, along with it being a marker that they can afford the best...and b) once they pay it they have to persuade themselves (and everyone else) that it's worth it.

I think there's something to that. Paying a high end price...there's not that many brave enough to admit they've been short-changed.

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Yep, KC, I find the marketing aspect so interesting. Of course you have to "deliver" but you also have to market....and you can't do one without the other.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Bleah!!! :)

Way too fussy for me. Well more power to them if it's popular! Life would be dull if we were all the same etc. I do agree that some of the pictures are very nicely styled though, and the captions are really good. Always something to learn! And I agree that there is clearly a lot of attention to detail.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Mouse wrote:Well it's marketed on the usual HR and OD sites...so nothing new there.
So those are the listings you know about, Mouse...?

But could the owner not be doing something over and above what you're aware of?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

No - they're friends and I know she only lists with those. She also tends to pinch little marketing things I do, so she's not that innovative.

The first year she managed a villa of a similar size but it was very modern with stunning views...I know she used to persuade people to take hers first saying that was potentially booked. So at first I thought that was why it was so successful. But 2nd year in she ditched managing it.

I've thought about it quite a bit and I feel that some people will always go for the more expensive...thereby thinking they've 'bought' the best.
If people pay an over the top price for accommodation, would they tell people it wasn't worth it...or big it up?

I'm not brave enough to try it with our prices though!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!