Mail clients

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
CarolineH

Mail clients

Post by CarolineH »

Advice please :

I have two distinct mail repositories :

Gmail for my personal mail

Mozilla Thunderbird for all business mail

I am not happy with Thunderbird because if I am away from my desktop it is too complicated to access my mail - so ideally I would like another server based mail

I love gmail - but I have found that it does not handle multiple usernames happily and I would like to keep my business and personal stuff separated.

Can anyone recommend a solution, please?
sheesh

Post by sheesh »

Caroline

I have 4 separate gmail accounts; one for business (in run-off) one for lettings, one personal and one for a new idea I am researching.

Gmail handles all of these comfortably, imo, except when I am using google drive and/or google+ on two accounts. When I need to do that, I log in to Chrome and Chromium and use two web browsers to keep them apart. I prefer not to share documents across these accounts.

For the business (the run-off and new idea) accounts there is very little traffic, so I have my mail forwarded to my personal account. You can choose which address to send replies from, so you can keep them separate, even though you view them in one browser.

The only reason I am using two browsers is to separate the two drives, really. It's quite a sophisticated system, really, for a freebie. I'm pretty sure I'm not using a tenth of what it's capable of, either.

HTH

Sheesh

Edit: forgot to say I use separate passwords and two-step verification on all accounts, which makes me feel happier!
Essar

Post by Essar »

I use OutLook 2010 as my main repository for all mail exchanges; I have a BT/Yahoo account for the business and several other accounts set up on my webhost for different things, about 15 all together. All the accounts are set-up in OutLook and a single button click imports all incoming mail and sends out all mail via the relevant account. When I email I have a drop down list of accounts I want to use as the sender to select from.

I have a similar set-up on my iPhone that duplicates this, so that I receive all emails on both my mobile and laptop and can deal with them from either source, the other device being synchronised as I go. this way I never miss an enquiry or email from anyone.

Plus evertything is replicated on my cloud drive on my webhost for safety.

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Thanks for those two suggestions - I've been fiddling around with gmail - created myself another account which I can forward the business stuff to - but is there a way in which I can send out from gmail, but have it seem to be sent out from my website mail (info@brittanygites.com)?

I know I can do all of this with outlook, but was reluctant to return to outlook (I was using OL before I switched to Thunderbird) because I wanted to try to avoid downloading the mail onto my PC.
mimosa

Post by mimosa »

Have you tired setting up an IMAP account in Thunderbird for the account?

Imap downloads the mail from the server without deleting it so you can access the mails from other devices?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Ha ha! I'm a very happy bunny :D

It's taken a couple of days, but it's now all working. I've got four different mail clients being picked up and loaded into gmail (using POP, not IMAP, but with a copy being left on the server for 30 days). Each mail client loads into a different coloured indicator area and when I reply to a mail from a particular destination the reply address is the original destination.

PIMS is also working with my primary mail client.

Thanks for your help - one firm vote for gmail.