The little things......

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Here's one Wendy.

We have a Nespresso locked away for our own use as I can't be sure it will be treated correctly by our largely British guests. Nespresso style coffee machines are catching on here however so this may soon change ... :)

Definitely a "yes" to a pizza cutter, steak knives and garlic press (even though I don't use it myself as I crush it with a knife, or chop it. Garlic presses never clean completely in a dishwasher I find.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I work on the basis that you can never have too much ( I even have a lemon zester - something I never use myself) so have virtually every tool known to man but am always ready for the next gadget if it keeps people happy. I seem to attract a lot of cooks so a food processor and a rolling pin are a given with me. I have even had someone come and make jam (pots duly supplied). Some people love cooking so much they seem to come on holiday to do that - a concept I would struggle with myself.....

I have a Nespresso machine in my Dublin place (VERY popular!) and would have one in my cottage were it not for the fact that we can only buy our capsules by post as there is no outlet and I don't want to become chief coffee supplier. I rewrote the rather confusing instructions to make sure the Dublin visitors use it correctly. I have every other sort of coffee maker though. The one that gets used the most is the electric filter machine. BTW Wendy, A cafetiere is called a French press in America.
Last edited by FelicityA on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsaaja

Post by jsaaja »

Ahhh thanks everyone,

think weve actually got most bits....although still to purchase the pizza cutter it is on my 'list'!

A few things i was also debating were:

A Tassimo pod coffee machine? - i thought if i provided a variety of pods in a welcome pack customers could buy more if they fancied them?

A wall mounted ipod docking station/cd player - would this bew is the bedroom or living room/kitchen? or do i need 2?

Also i am going to provide a few bits for arrival: bread, milk, eggs.....any other bits people are known to appriciate?

Thanks for all your words of wisdom guys :-)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

jsaaja wrote:Also i am going to provide a few bits for arrival: bread, milk, eggs.....any other bits people are known to appriciate?
Jsaaja, there are numbers of threads on that subject here, but the most recent is:

viewtopic.php?t=17965&highlight=welcome+pack
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Giddy goat and Felicity, thank you! yes, we have a French Press (at home and at the condo :D, though only a coffee machine at the cottage )

Cafetiere ? must be the correct French term for it?

Love this forum and everything I learn here!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

We leave our guests bread,butter,milk,eggs, orange juice, [basically enough for a first breakfast] plus a small supply of tea/coffee/sugar in individual sachets and a bottle of wine. We started leaving an extra welcome basket with local produce in a few months ago which has gone down really well too.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Thanks for the pic GG I am with Wendy knowing it as a French Press, although in New Zealand we call it a plunger - as in I will have a plunge coffee please. Much prefer cafetiere or french press!
Our market is becoming more sophisticated and guests looking forward to expresso/latte machines in their rentals.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'd rather put in an espresso machine than a filter coffee maker really - but I don't think that many people know how to use them, and the likelihood of one getting broken seems pretty high. :/

Anyone have experience of using one in a rental?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh good, Martha, I'm glad you agree with me; I suspect the Brits are a little behind in this regard, or maybe it's a cultural thing for many. I won't drink coffee any other way than Nespresso made but we're not in the majority in the UK by any means are we!

Hence my nervousness regarding leaving a machine for them. So as well as the cafetiere/plunger thingy and the trad top-of-the-stove job, I forgot to mention that we have an electric filter coffee maker too for guests' use.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Wendy@NarrowsCottage wrote:Giddy goat and Felicity, thank you! yes, we have a French Press (at home and at the condo :D, though only a coffee machine at the cottage )

Cafetiere ? must be the correct French term for it?

Love this forum and everything I learn here!
Wendy
Funnily enough, I found that the French use "cafetiere" as the term for a filter machine! For some reason, the Brits have adopted a French name for a French idea which does not have that name in France.

(Anyway, France is having a love affair with those horrid Nespresso things at the moment - it will pass).

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Agree Mols, same thing here in the US. I guess it will be under a lot of Xmas trees this year. I used one when I stayed in a B&B in Chicago and it was pretty niffty but the cost is significantly more than my instant Nescafe (inhale of shock heard around the world!) which I love just as much!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Moliere wrote: Funnily enough, I found that the French use "cafetiere" as the term for a filter machine!
Fascinating! So what do the French call that plunger thingy then Mols?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Damn, I was hoping nobody was going to ask me that.

I think it's "cafetiere a piston" often shortened to "piston" - but there are many wiser souls than me here who can probably come up with the right answer.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We have espresso machines and cafetières - both get used, though I'd say the cafetières get used more.

But ... I'm seriously thinking of providing AeroPresses for next year. A friend gave me one as a birthday present and they make the very best coffee of all imho. And they're sooooo easy to clean too. Cost about 25 pounds each (haven't found them here in France) and much beloved, I gather, by other coffee addicts. With good reason.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oooh, haven' heard of them FC! Here's a link for others to check it out:

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/index.php/dose

Another Kiwi kitchen success! (The other is Fisher and Paykel, folks!)