Flexible arrival date

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ben,
You're in competition with all the holiday accommodation in your region
I’ve been told that before and I don’t accept it any more than the Ritz Hotel accepts it is in competition with the local camp-site.

When it comes to booking periods I don't argue with you and I don't say you are wrong. All I am saying is what works for me.

There is a balance to be achieved between what the holiday maker wants and what I feel able to offer. Of course, the holiday maker wants to economise on his costs, don’t we all? At the same time, I can’t run a business of the basis of having one week’s income every two weeks.

No, during the mid and high season I will stay with Saturday to Saturday until I have more gaps than I have bookings; then I might change my mind.

Alan
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I'm 100% with Alan on this one.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I have to agree with Alan too.

During June to September we only accept Saturday to Saturday bookings and so far (luckily) we have been fully booked every year for these months.

We can't afford to rent the villa on mid week bookings during the high season as the rental loss would be far too much.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Flagging this one up again for advice, think I know the answer but looking for reassurance :lol:

As you may know I decided to stick to Sat to Sat this year and see what happens, although enquiries have been next to nothing.....until Sunday night (Brenda's luck must have rubbed off on me).

The apt is free Sat 28th July onwards giving me 5 weeks peak left.

Original lady wants any 2 weeks.
Sunday enquirer wants any 2 weeks.
Lady today wants 4th to 18th Aug.

Rang original lady to say 'make your mind up time'
Rang Sunday guy who can't book yet.
Lady today wants to book.

For some reason I am nervous about taking 'lady today' enquiry as it leaves one week ie 28th July to 4th Aug and for some reason I worry it won't go. Is this silly of me, I'm sure it is as I can't expect my bookings to neatly come in order can I ??
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Partridge, I'd take the lady who wants to book (which is a Sat to Sat booking)! If you can't shift the week 28th July to 4th August..then you can always do a 'special offer' nearer the time. I'm sure you won't have any problems getting rid of this week.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I second Crystal's advice. Go with the one who wants to book now, the rest will go.One peak week shouldn't be difficult to book! Courage ! :lol:
colette

Post by colette »

Now in a quandry.Have a potential booking for 2 weeks in August,but lady wants Thurs to Thurs.Have told her no,because potentially I will find it difficult to fill prior week.
Somebody said bird in the hand etc,another said it is hard to get bookings in Costa blanca,due to excess of properties.
Do I tell her yes I have changed mind or am I being too hasty,considering we are only in January.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

No! Its only January and I'm sure you will fill August. It isn't worth losing a weeks booking for at this stage.
colette

Post by colette »

Thank you Susan.
I will try and resist the temptation not to e mail the person back.She was trying to tempt me, by again emailing me to ask was I sure she couldn't book and if I reconsider to let her know.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Well, mine was quite a good result. Got the booking that leaves me with a one week gap inbetween rentals (hope I fill it). She has opted for the Sunday flight going instead of Saturday but said they will still pay for 2 weeks and leave on a saturday so as not to mess up my schedule. Must admit I was really tempted to offer her Sunday to Sunday anyway but decided to be tough, do you think I was mean, it's just that it gives me a degree of flexibility with the remaining weeks if I can offer Sat or Sun as opposed to lumbaring myself with just Sunday :?
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

You are being business like. They have opted for Sunday flights ( maybe cheaper?). Your summer terms are Sat to Sat.Seems they are being realisic by expecting to pay for the full week as they have chosen to miss a day. Good for you :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I had an enquirer that really annoyed me a few months back. He wanted 10 days in June and I quoted a price of 2 weeks (we are always fully booked in June). He wrote back and said that he'd worked out that the price should be less as I should charge 1 week + 3 nights tarif. I said no, in high season I only take weekly bookings. He then asked if I would do a 1 week booking Thurs - Thurs for the one week tarif. I said no, because I would lose a weeks rental. I never heard from him again, but I wasn't sorry to lose a booking from someone like that. What a ******* liberty!! (Catherine Tate fans can fill in the blank).
Some people just think we do it as a hobby and don't realise that we do it for a living or at the very least want to make some sort of profit from renting out our houses.
roxytoo

sat-sat

Post by roxytoo »

I still am on the other side and haven't been brave enough to take Sat-Sat as I know how expensive those flights are and I know how many properties in my area are available any day. Every year I say next year I'll do it but as the enquiries come in I take them whatever! Last year I had early July not booked at all (was told it was world cup year and people like to stay at home!!!) so this year I have taken what comes..............still not sure if I am doing the right thing.........
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have just had an enquiry today for 2 separate weeks, obviously can't make up their minds. One is still French hols, and although they were booked up quickly last winter, nada this time. They asked for Sat-Sat, although I do Sun changeovers due to my friends hubby being a ski instructor. They get Saturday off together then. I can offer this for Easter week, as our guests are leaving a day early, but not for the one in early March.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Partridge wrote: do you think I was mean,?
No, not at all. I presume your site clearly states you book Saturday to Saturday so they knew what they were getting in to. If, a week before they arrive, you find yourself with the next booking in on Monday, you can always offer them the extra night. But there's no point losing a potential week's rent at this stage.
Lounging on the lily pad...