How Long Do You Wait Before Re-Listing After Missed Balance?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Fleur - funny you should say that - that was my initial reaction when I received this enquiry so checked with the listing site it came through and they were reassuring. How would you see this might progress to scam me?
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Mozzie wrote:Fleur - funny you should say that - that was my initial reaction when I received this enquiry so checked with the listing site it came through and they were reassuring. How would you see this might progress to scam me?
"this is a church group and I am dealing with the minister "

that bit and the

"he is bring his members with him"

it just sounds a bit like the dodgy scam email requests one gets from time to time. That's all I have to go on but instinct would make me feel wary. Have they paid a booking deposit?
Fleur
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Yes I had a booking deposit about 2 months ago very quickly and no reluctance felt there.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

It's probably all o.k. then except that they still have not sent the final payment :(
Fleur
NonnaGiulietta

Post by NonnaGiulietta »

If the problem is, as I think I understood, that they are still unsure about the total number of participants, you can allow the minister to pay for the confirmed guests at this time, subject to adjustment upon arrival.
Nonna Giulietta Apartment
NG on Facebook

God gave us the gift of speech, but has taken from us that of silence (Sergio Bolgeri, painter)
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have had a lot of scam enquiries from church groups, but never a booking, so be careful. The most popular scam requires you to refund money, so do not do so.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

paolo wrote:I have had a lot of scam enquiries from church groups, but never a booking, so be careful. The most popular scam requires you to refund money, so do not do so.
I'm also wondering if this might be heading towards something along the lines of "sorry for the delay, but so I can transfer the balance please can you send me verification" (passport details etc etc)

How difficult is it to establish the identity of a church minister? Shouldn't be too difficult to get the genuine item's contact details?

There's a strong smell about this, and it isn't incense.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I do hope you manage to get an alternative booking Mozzie as even if this is not some sort of scam ( and I would be feeling very wary at this stage) they have truly messed you about and broken the terms of your contract. It seems like they were were setting you up to force you into taking more people which of course is a form of blackmail....

I see you had the deposit about two months ago. How was that paid? You know it can take weeks/ even months for a dodgy payment to bounce back but appear Ok to your bank to start with and clear. You are really only safe if it was a bank to bank transfer of real money. and I would be guessing that a sob story might ensue - one of the party has died or something - to tug at the heart strings and get you to refund money you don't have in the first place.

They don't put God bless at the end of their emails, do they?!
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Update: Received the balance and DD in my bank account (I only do bank transfers) this morning!! Still no email telling me anything but that's ok I sent one back confirming my receipt of the deposit. NonnaG: good idea of yours, thanks. His issue was he wanted me to accept more than my max but I said no.
Felicity - good points too and yes I used bank transfer. Paolo - the church thing initially got my radar up too, and I won't be returning any money except the DD of course after house is checked over. Thanks for advice all - fingers crossed all goes well over their 3 day stay and I will report after the event. Merry Christmas!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

how did it all work out in the end?
Fleur
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Actually it ended up pretty well, considering. I haven't heard back from them even after sending 2 followup e-mails to see how everything was for them, but I can cope with that. The cleaner said it was a pretty big clean job for her with ash on outside furniture and on top of the indoor fire stove which she couldn't guess as to what it was. So all in all, I think I am lucky. Thanks again for all your support and advice.
My teenager (gulp! my first contacts renting and I was so green!!) girl group over New Years Eve left with everything tidy and intact! The neighbors also reported quiet days and nights so I am considering how lucky I have been so far. Fingers crossed for the rest!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I am so pleased to know all went well in the end, thanks for letting us know.
Fleur